New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Glasses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After wearing prescription glasses for 31+ years I finally had cataract surgery and no longer need prescription lenses. WOW! I have shotgun shooting glasses but am wondering what I really need for rifle (mostly bench) shooting. The ones with multiple colored interchangeable look interesting but I just don't know. Any recommendations/suggestions, please?

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1059 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Decot Shooting Glasses. They have interchangeable lenses and come in either prescription or standard with many color options. The Hy Wide model raises the lens higher than traditional glasses so your not squinting through the upper corner of your glasses when finding your sight picture if this is a problem with conventional glasses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
none but is tu2 n't it great to see well again

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I went through the same. After operation I needed no glasses for shotgun shooting (having been hit in the face by shotgun pellets before, I'm still wearing polycarbonate protective glasses) but nothing for scoped rifles and bino's. Pistol shooting was another matter ; I can see distant targets perfectly but iron sights are too close and look fuzzy. As a result, my grouping grew larger and POI had shifted. Following the advice of competition shooters, I bought a pair of Gehmann shooting glasses (actually, a 100% adjustable frame accepting an array of accessories). I had my optician install an optical lens focused on a pistol's front sight. Today, thanks to it + the adjustable iris opening, both open sights and target are sharp.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's great to see well again. I too have Decots from my trap shooting days and I suppose they will do; just looking for something new/different. :-)

By the way, I'm not a new member as I used to be "MikeMichakski" but new pc not recognized by AR.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1059 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying some Remington T85's.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the last several years I have been using Randolph Engineering shooting glasses. Like Decot, they have interchangeable lens in both RX and Plano and sit high on the face, so they work great for both shotgun and rifle.

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look here http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/shooting-glasses.html

They're cheap...if they get broken or lost, get a fresh pair. I go through a couple of pair a season. My favorites are the Smith and Wessons in orange.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes you do, glasses are a must for eye protection, hot gas from a ruptured case or leaky primer is a bullseye for the shooting eye.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote