New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buff horn question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'd like to get over for my first and probably last cape this year. I like drops and tips below the boss. Is that a genetic thing that individual areas would have more of? Age?
I imagine hunting pressure would keep numbers low so maybe Tans, Bots Zambia?
Older photos and videos seem to have more of that type than more recent pics.

In a big 5 area, no fences and don't find him till the last day.
Thinking Thierry, Buzz, Andrew. Others?
Thanks, Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, I would rank Tanz, Zambia, Bots,Zim
The buff you want to shoot, will take some hunting, but with any of the guys you mentioned could be doable. Heck just go with any of these guys and hunt hard, you will have the time of your life, and take a great Buff!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few with decent drops, but I'm still looking for one of those deep drop bulls that looks like a 1960's hairdo. Saw a great one in Simanjiro in 2012, but I'd already shot out. My unsolicited advice is to take what Artemis offers and not hold out for that particular horn configuration you would like. Any good mature hard-bossed bull is a great trophy. If he fits your ideal image, that is a bonus. It's the hunt and the experience that is the real trophy.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in no way as experienced as a PH in what is available in any one place. My thinking is drop is a genetic trait in some bulls. I've shot flat, old ones, and some with pretty good drop.

Zimbabwe has bulls with drop; and while not as big on average as some places, they do pull good ones out. In the right spots, you will have all the big 5 in your hunting areas. Thierry, Buzz, Brian Van Blerk, the Duckworths- lots of excellent PH's there.

South Africa has some areas with nonfenced herds, but they are spendy. The areas bordering Kruger might fit your bill. You will really need to do your due dilligence in ZA. While I have not hunted buffalo there, I have hunted it, and seen buffalo. You can find all the big 5 in south africa, but its either in parks or fenced for the most part. Many good operators, but also a number of absolute low lifes.

Namibia- the Caprivi might fit your criteria, but I have not hunted it. They have had some bad droughts lately, so numbers might not be great there. They do have huntable numbers of all the big 5 species.

Botswana- I have not been there. But its rather expensive and just recently reopened. You may do great, you may get a bit of a miss... The infrastructure for hunting is probably a bit low yet. Dunno about the rhino part of the big 5 in Bots.

Mozambique- This is a place on my list to go to still. Haven't been there, but the wildlife is rebuilding well. No rhino that I know of. Cats and Elephant are not allowed into the US from Moz. I know the Duckworths operate there, as well as Kambako, but I've not got any experience there.

Zambia- Have hunted there a number of times. They have lots of buffalo, and pull some large ones out. I have seen some with good drops. Rhino are in some of the parks, otherwise you will see evidence of all the remander of the big 5 in most good areas- and the elephant can be a bit of a problem at times! Andrew, John DuPlooy, Alister Norton all good folks who operate there.

Tanzania- Excellent buff in general, but it is somewhat area dependent. Maswa, the Masailand areas can be great. I have shot a big one with good drops in Maswa, but they do tend to be wider, but not as deep in Tanzania. I saw some older rhino tracks in the Selous, but otherwise NO rhino anywhere you hunt (they do have some in the parks.) otherwise, you will see evidence of the rest of the big 5 in any hunting area. I've hunted with Adam Clements, Mike Fell, and Brian Van Blerk who all hunt there.

Uganda- not all areas have great buff, but the Karamoja region is the best I have ever seen for buffalo numbers. However, I did not see a lot of drops there. There will be no rhino anywhere near where you hunt, but otherwise the big 5 are endemic, although the lion numbers are rather low as they are rebuilding. Uganda Wildlife Safaris/Christian Weth is the big operator there, but I know that Dave Rademeyer/ NOA also operates there some as well.

While there are buffalo in Ethiopia, Congo, Cameroon,CAR, and some of the other West african nations, they are not cape buffalo, and do not have the spread or drops of the southern buffalo.

Also, my experience is if the animal you want steps out on day 1, you better shoot him, as you might not see anything as good again. In most areas, you can get a fair amount of PG quota to hunt, so you will find something else to chase... don't be locked in to the mystique of getting it on the last day. While it happens, generally if you put off taking things to the last day, you come back with no animal. While hunting for its own sake is great, worrying its coming too easy is its own problem.

Also, certain places have a tendency to have more animals available than others. Most Zim hunts, for example, are you get 1 buff. Tanz (with the right license) gets you 4. Botswana has a VERY restrictive quota at this point. While it often comes down to money, that can also be a factor in choosing a spot.

I said one and done back in 07. Wrong!

Have fun, and go with the flow. If you did your homework at got a good outfit in a good area, you will have fun regardless of just what you get to shoot at.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Tanzania you will likely have multiple bulls on ticket. At least two and up to four on a 21 day license. I've only hunted once there that I only had a single buffalo, just due to their scarcity in that particular location. That's something to think about if you are planning on only a single trip.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A heavily accentuated drop of the curls is not necessarily attributed to genetics but more likely to the natural growth of the horn on the particular animal, similar to the open/closed spread of the horns on a Kudu bull.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo have been a fascination of mine for the past 30 yrs. I've hunted them, researched and written books about them and photographed them in 4 different southern African countries - Zim, Bots, Moz and Namibia. I have almost 10 000 photos of sexually mature bulls and what always amazes me is the wide range of horn types, shapes and widths. Every population has poor, average and a few exceptional specimens and it has been easy for me to recognize the areas where trophy quality has dropped due to either over-hunting or placing too much emphasis on 'only the best' trophies and hunting these bulls while still of breeding age.
As mentioned elsewhere in this thread it is or should be the 'hunt' which is more important than the 'shape' or the 'inches'.
I long ago realized that lone old bulls make for the best hunting experiences. Once they know they are being followed its amazing how devious, cunning and crafty they can be. Experiencing this is what makes for such exciting hunts. Once followed such a bull for a week - best hunt of my life. Such a bull, old, broken horned and decrepit-looking makes, in my opinion a far better, well-earned trophy than a breeding age, sharp tipped, still puffy in the front of the boss bull, taken out of an easy to track herd.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . Uganda.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uganda

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive hunted buff in most of Africa, I like Tanzania for numbers and quality, and the buff Ive killed all showed good drop.

Regardless of the country you hunt, there will be good areas and bad areas and in between...I don't carry a tape and agree with Doctari but I have stumbled into some mighty big bulls with lots of drop, shiny bosses worn down with age and lion scars and missing tails, all indications of an old warrior..

I do not like 42 inch bulls with hairy bosses and its a shame to kill them. As Saeed will comment one that needed a shave! rotflmo .

Im inclined to think bulls get as big as they are going to get by the time they are 4 years old and they get killed while immature with hairy bosses. the big heavy bosses grow until they die of old age, and get worn smooth from rubbing on tress etc..
and he is a monster for sure, but the hunt was even better than his size..I think a lot of drop is in the gene pool for sure..NOt only have I seen that, but Ive been a rancher most of my life ad in cattle I see the same thing.

My preference for buff has always been Tanzania, and my best bull came out of the Selous, but Ive seen the biggest bulls in the Mauyuwase (SP?)

The Norther border states like Masiland etc that border the parks in Kenya or Nairobi and down in the Tarangite (Sp?) have some monsters but it can be chicken or guts and feathers, but even at its worse if you have time on your side you will likely get a chance at a real bull in the plus 40 inches or bigger..

Bottom line is big bulls in the 45 to 50 inches are like gold, they are just wherever you find them...Killing young big bulls is the best way I know of ruining a good concession, and its a well used practice..Ive seen so many hunter bragging about their "42 incher and believing they shot a real trophy and in fact the bull was a shameful youngster with big horns and no boss, no drop, nada!! Excuse my spelling I can't find my maps and Im going by a failing memory.

If I were going today, Id probably go to one of the better Selous concessions, Ive always had good luck there and I like the beautiful country and the weather, and the tetsi is only bad in certain spots in most concessions..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nile type buffalo from Uganda.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

One like this one? Eeker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, looks like an old lady that should have never burned her bra, Saw an old pic of a monster in the crater. That was a proper buffalo.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It IS the hunt.
Inches are not an issue.
Timing and funds may relegate this buff to be my "100 lb'r".
2 trophy fees are sounding like a wise choice.
Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Our own AR billfold and chap selling Bill killed the best drop horned buffalo Ive ever seen. Killed him in the Selous some years ago, a real freak and a beautiful bull at that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . Uganda.

"Before" .... and.... "after" Big Grin

A great pity there aren't that many "droopies" around and the occasional "scrum cap" could be the by-product of one of these withered old boys.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of the information.
Hopefully, world travel logistics will be sorted before the dry season. Info on the Travel forum is not encouraging.
Thanks, Scott

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Scott you have received some good information on possibilities.

Maybe you could contact a few different PH's and find out what they are asking and what they provide.

Tanzania, will offer you multiple options for taking more than one Cape buffalo.

Zimbabwe, at the end of the season a hunter may have the option of obtaining more than one permit.

Zambia, has numerous locations you could check out. Some post on AR and that is a great start.

Mozambique, also has some good numbers of Cape Buffalo. Some real good numbers. I would suggest that you check it out.

Namibia strip, has some good numbers, a few pictures are posted on AR.

South Africa is available if you want to go that route.

If you are watching the virtual hunting auctions, some good places to go after Cape Buffalo are available.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Jines I am hoping to find one like that this year!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uganda with Christian Weith. Best Buffalo hunt I could imagine.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Scott, there are many many experienced hunters and PHs on this forum whom I’m sure can help you out or point you in the right direction. Buffalo thankfully is the most widespread of the big 5 and one which is most sold. I think it is safe to say that you will no doubt get a Buffalo in most of the average to good areas. What you need to decide on if it’s a one off trip is what you’d actually like to experience. If for example you choose to go to Zim. Perhaps a hunt in the Zambezi Valley with a camp along the banks of the Zambezi River would help with the overall experience? A place like Nyakasanga is hard to beat for that kind of experience and there are a lot of Buffalo there. I’d also book the hunt for later in the yr as opportunity may become available to add a second Buffalo should there still be quota left at relatively decent price. Later in the yr there seems to be more lone bulls and bachelor herds around too which make for better hunting. Sengwa research is also a wild free ranging place in Zimbabwe with great Buffalo numbers and great plainsgame too but apart from having good hunting in a picturesque area with a nice camp there is not much else to it. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way at all by the way.The Save Valley Conservancy has some great Buffalo hunting and you will be in Buffalo everyday or at least on tracks every day and you can hold off for as long as you want and look at a lot of them before finally taking one you want. Chances are at some point you will encounter most of if not all of the big 5 including rhino which is always nice too see.However you will see man made watering points or researches on a motorbike, or an anti poaching vehicle, or the guy checking water points etc which depending how you view it takes away the authenticity of a completely untouched wilderness area. The other advantage of the SVC is that most properties are privately owned and come end of season there is always bound to be a property within the SVC that will still have left over Buffalo quota and it’s easier to negotiate for a 2nd buff at very good price.

Uganda, in Christians area, has the sheer numbers but it is the easiest Buffalo hunting on the continent. Over the right period you will see a thousand Buffalo a day but Zero tracking required and most of the buff are seen from the vehicle and then a short stalk follows. Loads of other game around too which is pleasing to the eye but personally it’s too easy and you’d not get the full Buffalo hunting experience. My personal view that is.

Zambia has great areas with lots of top notch operators and PHs too.

TZ in certain areas pretty fantastic too.

Personally can’t comment on Namibia, SA or Bots as haven’t hunted Buffalo there or accompanied hunters there, but no doubt some great hunting in all those countries.

Choosing which PH you are willing to spend 7 to 10 days with in a one off hunt too is very important. There are many good ones in Zim and indeed around Africa.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me. I can tell you about most areas in Zim anyway.

As for the shape! It’s a game of numbers. The more you look at the better the chances of finding the one you like.

Happy research. It’s part of the fun

Cheers

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
Scott, there are many many experienced hunters and PHs on this forum whom I’m sure can help you out or point you in the right direction. Buffalo thankfully is the most widespread of the big 5 and one which is most sold. I think it is safe to say that you will no doubt get a Buffalo in most of the average to good areas. What you need to decide on if it’s a one off trip is what you’d actually like to experience. If for example you choose to go to Zim. Perhaps a hunt in the Zambezi Valley with a camp along the banks of the Zambezi River would help with the overall experience? A place like Nyakasanga is hard to beat for that kind of experience and there are a lot of Buffalo there. I’d also book the hunt for later in the yr as opportunity may become available to add a second Buffalo should there still be quota left at relatively decent price. Later in the yr there seems to be more lone bulls and bachelor herds around too which make for better hunting. Sengwa research is also a wild free ranging place in Zimbabwe with great Buffalo numbers and great plainsgame too but apart from having good hunting in a picturesque area with a nice camp there is not much else to it. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way at all by the way.The Save Valley Conservancy has some great Buffalo hunting and you will be in Buffalo everyday or at least on tracks every day and you can hold off for as long as you want and look at a lot of them before finally taking one you want. Chances are at some point you will encounter most of if not all of the big 5 including rhino which is always nice too see.However you will see man made watering points or researches on a motorbike, or an anti poaching vehicle, or the guy checking water points etc which depending how you view it takes away the authenticity of a completely untouched wilderness area. The other advantage of the SVC is that most properties are privately owned and come end of season there is always bound to be a property within the SVC that will still have left over Buffalo quota and it’s easier to negotiate for a 2nd buff at very good price.

Uganda, in Christians area, has the sheer numbers but it is the easiest Buffalo hunting on the continent. Over the right period you will see a thousand Buffalo a day but Zero tracking required and most of the buff are seen from the vehicle and then a short stalk follows. Loads of other game around too which is pleasing to the eye but personally it’s too easy and you’d not get the full Buffalo hunting experience. My personal view that is.

Zambia has great areas with lots of top notch operators and PHs too.

TZ in certain areas pretty fantastic too.

Personally can’t comment on Namibia, SA or Bots as haven’t hunted Buffalo there or accompanied hunters there, but no doubt some great hunting in all those countries.

Choosing which PH you are willing to spend 7 to 10 days with in a one off hunt too is very important. There are many good ones in Zim and indeed around Africa.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me. I can tell you about most areas in Zim anyway.

As for the shape! It’s a game of numbers. The more you look at the better the chances of finding the one you like.

Happy research. It’s part of the fun

Cheers

Thierry is being modest! Book with him and go for the Nyakasanga camp on the Mighty Zambezi River and hunt your buffalo amongst the riverine thickets and hoards of elephants.

Google Mana Pools for a landscape reference.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Uganda with Christian Weith. Best Buffalo hunt I could imagine.

dogcat,

The best buffalo hunting experience for me was when I hunted the marginal areas of the Lower Zambezi for the wily Buffalo that sought the tops of craggy escarpments. The views were spectacular and the mountains held crystal clear springs that you could live and hunt from. However, I am not sure that I am fit enough to entertain such exercise again!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote