THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    OPERATORS QUESTIONS REGARDS SHOWS AND ATTENDANCES
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OPERATORS QUESTIONS REGARDS SHOWS AND ATTENDANCES
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As operators from Southern Africa/ New Zeland and Aussie we have two options

1/ CANCEL AND ROLL THE COSTS OF THE STAND TO NEXT YEAR
2/ CONTINUE AND HAVE OUR STAND WITH A CLIENT STANDING IN FOR US AND DO ZOOM MEETINGS ETC WITH POTENTIAL CLIENTS.

My question to you all to try and understand which option to go for are the below

1/ If there are no operators from S African NZ and Aussie will you as a potential client still go.
2/If you cant talk to the operator will you be happy chatting to a client representing us.
3/ If we made the effort to get the stand up with a representative would we " stand above " our competitors and get potential bookings or simply put would it be a waste of time.

Thanks for the answers as I am sure most operators on AR from the above countries will benefit from your guys imputs as we simply dont know the vibe in the USA- cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz:

If it is open , we are going .

I think anyone manning the booth could help facilitate a call between the prospect and the operators. To a certain extent, that is preferable to me . Fewer interruptions.

Good luck. I feel for you guys.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed one.

Personally, I tend to think it does put those tend to put those with a booth in a better position. I tend to think those attending will be the more serious prospects.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it comes down to who you could have in your both. So many guys (clients) try and sell hunts after one trip to africa and really have no idea what they are talking about. So if people wanting to book a hunt get turned off by who you have there it would not be good. You have someone who has hunted with you alot and knows how you run your hunts then they would take them seriously. Most people seem to anymore just wanted to talk direct with Ph and outfitter. Being able to video chat would help though. Maybe even a premade video to play for clients with basic info

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz, 1 No 2 No 3 waste of time. I think the whole deal with the convention is talking to the Ph/operators on the ground. Not a rep. who has a few days in the sun under his belt. But I know CMS has som pretty solid clients in the Us that easily can groom a few customers. The China virus seems to fuck up another year of our lives. thumbdown

Posts: 189 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz…I honestly don’t know what the best option would be. I do think having a booth might be advantageous in having a presence, but on the other hand having a guy (or guys) manning that booth that might or might not be a good fit or able to give definitive answers (kind of like a car salesman having to talk to his manager before he can give you a price) might turn potential clients away. I think most of Southern Africa is only 8 hours ahead of our part of the US, so the Zoom thing might work if WiFi-cell service was good.
I think the guys from Australia and New Zealand are still unable to come to the US, but I might be wrong on that, and I know one NZ outfitter that is planning on having his son(s) operate their booth.
Of the people I’ve spoken with, most of the locals I’ve spoken with have said they will be going if the show happens and if there are no restrictions. Conversely, many of the out of state friends are leaning towards staying home. I wish there was a bit more time for this crap to be sorted out before outfitters have to make this decision.
Not much help, I know.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I think an outfitter would be taking a very big chance by allowing someone else man his booth.

Having dealt with so many “representatives” in business, some are very good, but most are not.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Hi Buzz,

Here is my take on it.

I have for the past few years help some PH friends who I have hunted with man their booth. (currently waiting on my wife eye surgery dates and may not attend this year)

I had a list of booths that I wanted to visit and would do that on Thursday and Friday mornings, before the ground surge came in. I had the opportunity to visit with you on one of these booth searches. We were chatting about different hearing aids, and you were looking to acquire some.

While I was helpful at the booth, the clients wanted to speak with the African PH. So being familiar with their operation, I was able to answer general questions on their hunts. Trying to call on cell phones was hit or miss. Plus everyone needed to take a lunch break or restroom break at various times. And the booth would be covered as I was there.

What I did was set a time for the potential client to return and chat direct with the PH. That worked and was a service.

Being able to do a WhatsApp or Zoom meeting may work, someone on the ground floor would need to be able to schedule these meetings. Currently there is an 9 hour difference and I take that into account when I chat with my PH friends in Zimbabwe, Namibia and South Africa.

A booth is doable with the right person manning your booth. And the PH in Africa being available to chat on one of the above programs.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What Larry said. I know of one operator that has had American representatives manning his booths for shows all over the country during the past year and has done very well in booking hunts with clients. Not sure if he has a Zoom set up with the operator or not. If the SCI Show happens, we'll be there. There are some important keys here. Having a seasoned hunter, that you trust, has the right personality, business demeanor, and understands your business fairly intimately man any booth, and having access with the operator in order to answer any questions. Those can be delicate balances in ensuring any success in booking clients using such a flexible approach to the shows. I also know of a very famous outfitter/PH that shall remain nameless that I approached years ago, enthusiastically thinking that I wanted to book with him. He was a total turnoff and I walked away thinking who would ever want to book a hunt with him. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
There is no substitute for a solid handshake from the guy you will hunt with. That said, an agent, who you trust, who has a lot of experience with booking there is a decent second option. A final option is client with 100+ days under his belt, in your areas to help answer some questions.

Past that, it gets dicey.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Good morning all. The only thing that will stop us from attending is a BS mask mandate. We are trying as much as possible to return to a sense of normality in our lives and getting out and doing normal society functions feels great to us. I hope the leadership in these banned countries start aggressive negotiations with our current panic/emotion driven pseudo-leadership to find a rapid resolution. We are in Colombia and have to test prior to return to the US (and we have been vaccinated). What is the difference between a US citizen that is tested/vaccinated and any other person???

Safe travels.............LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

I think having someone other than you or one of your PH's man your booth could work but as others have said it needs to be someone who is very familiar with your operation. Having a star struck newbie in your booth would not be to your benefit. Someone that had hunted with other outfits and can provide a real comparison would be ideal in my opinion.

If Johnny duPlooy/Muchinga Adventures can't make the SCI show I will be manning his booth. I'm very familiar with what he is offering as well as what is out there for comparison. I feel very confident I can sell for Johnny.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
There is no substitute for a solid handshake from the guy you will hunt with. That said, an agent, who you trust, who has a lot of experience with booking there is a decent second option. A final option is client with 100+ days under his belt, in your areas to help answer some questions.

Past that, it gets dicey.

Will you have a booth of your own Wendell?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Buzz I think one of your solid clients would do well to represent you if they are available.

Alternatively, get an attractive Hooker to run your joint with the promise that she will be the barmaid on safari.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
The wife and I are headed to Dallas even if the show is cancelled. For us it's a chance to get away from the kids for a couple nights and we will find other things to do in Dallas if there is no show.

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One option is to fly to Mexico, cross the border as no one will stop you.
More seriously the flight restriction should be lifted, but only if we pressure the current failed administration.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. I will be at DSC if they are open.

2. If I want to book a hunt with CMS, I will be emailing or WhatsApp you outside of the show if you are not there. If you have past clients in the booth I would use them as references.

3. Your booth tends to be a gathering place of old clients. Some times it can be hard to even say hi to you. Past clients hanging around your booth telling stories are the best salesmen you have. In the case of CMS I think it would be beneficial to have a booth at DSC. I am not sure if that would be the case for all outfitters that don't have as strong a following as you. I am also not sure if you would have as many past clients hanging around the booth if you are not there.

I feel for all outfitters out there. The past couple of years have been tough and now 2022 is getting off to a rough start.

All the best!

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would still have your booth and have a representative. For us, I've wondered if it's worth doing the whole expensive show thing as our backlog has gotten larger, but I think it's important to keep a presence there just to let people know we're still very much active. I personally would find it helpful to chat with a repeat client of yours even if you're not able to make it in person. In a way it may offer the prospective client better feedback of your operation.
And at least when it comes to DSC, I think it's important to support the cause, and if all of the Southern African and New Zealand outfitters pulled out it would put a world of hurt on the show and turnout (IMO).

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As an ordinary consumer, it is hard to justify going to the convention without the PH / Operators in attendance. In addition, it will be very hard to make specific bookings in January, as travel bans and policies for the upcoming year are likely to still be very fluid, at best.

I did travel to Namibia in October 2020, right after the country opened, and had a great hunt. Travel policies are worse now than they were a year ago. It is impossible to predict what they will be like next summer. I will book even on short notice when I believe travel policies are reasonably well known.

I hope to go to Zimbabwe next year, and CMS will be high on my list based on my prior positive hunt with CMS. I can do a Zoom call, etc., anytime during the year, and don't see any special reason to make this call during the shows.

There is no doubt that meeting in person and seeing multiple operators all in one place is a major draw for the show. Talking to "representatives" will not be the same, no matter how qualified. I love to support DSC but can't justify attendance when African outfitters are not present.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
You mean you don’t want to hunt again with Nelson Dzinga in Zim?? popcorn

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Buzz,

I think having someone other than you or one of your PH's man your booth could work but as others have said it needs to be someone who is very familiar with your operation. Having a star struck newbie in your booth would not be to your benefit. Someone that had hunted with other outfits and can provide a real comparison would be ideal in my opinion.

If Johnny duPlooy/Muchinga Adventures can't make the SCI show I will be manning his booth. I'm very familiar with what he is offering as well as what is out there for comparison. I feel very confident I can sell for Johnny.

Mark

That’s pretty much the essence of a booking agent at the shows. Someone who can take clients to the right operators who are attending the show based on their needs. If the operators aren’t there the booking agent would still be the better choice in my opinion rather than a client being the primary representative. Having a booth for name recognition is a good idea, so perhaps a request could be made to position your booth next to the agent you choose. You could still have a couple of clients there for references.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, crazy idea, send somebody while you can, and as late as possible to cover most shows on a 90-day visa. He will be a long time from home though, and that will be costly, but might pay off.
Cases in Gauteng province are shooting up, as are hospitalizations (although they are still much lower than when it became critical). I don't think we've seen the end of tightening travel restrictions yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BushPeter:
Or, crazy idea, send somebody while you can, and as late as possible to cover most shows on a 90-day visa. He will be a long time from home though, and that will be costly, but might pay off.
Cases in Gauteng province are shooting up, as are hospitalizations (although they are still much lower than when it became critical). I don't think we've seen the end of tightening travel restrictions yet.

If my understanding is correct , there is no ability for the Southern African operators to travel here right now . They are banned . Plus the flights have been curtailed greatly .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shows for us is about NOT using an agent. AS we stand now no flights are out of Zimbabwe on Quatar and Emirates.

Due to a number of factors, and despite some incredible offers by clients/friends to man the booth, combined with the traditionally poor internet connecto=ions at the shows we have decided that we will roll our deposit across unless there is a change in

1/ flights resume
2/ Zim cancels the crazy rule of isolation for 10 days in a government facility of their choice!

All very sad and pointless in my view!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I will be running our booth in Nashville in February. We have been at the NWTF show since 2006 and I have been there helping my brother in law since the beginning so I’m not really a “stranger or client” running the booth. The PH’s wife and my wife are sisters (South African)and my wife will be there with me. We are honestly a family operation and even though our full time South African family won’t be present we will still be there representing Trophy Game Safaris. Is it better when the actual PH/Operator is there, absolutely but we are of the same family and keenly aware of our facilities and areas. That helps for sure and also I am always here on this side to assist clients. It’s tough for clients when they never are sure who they are talking to. As for us you are either talking to my brother in law or me or both of us.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
The shows for us is about NOT using an agent. AS we stand now no flights are out of Zimbabwe on Quatar and Emirates.

Due to a number of factors, and despite some incredible offers by clients/friends to man the booth, combined with the traditionally poor internet connecto=ions at the shows we have decided that we will roll our deposit across unless there is a change in

1/ flights resume
2/ Zim cancels the crazy rule of isolation for 10 days in a government facility of their choice!

Very wise decision.

Wish you all the best, and hope this silly episode passes quickly.

It really is becoming ridiculous!

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

1/ flights resume

Can't blame you for that. This 50th SCI show is shaping up to be a quiet affair.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunsCore:
quote:

1/ flights resume

Can't blame you for that. This 50th SCI show is shaping up to be a quiet affair.

They were expecting it to be quite the affair.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Buzz, perhaps some good old fashioned references from previous hunters will be helpful. I am happy to assist with such, I had a great hunt with you as have many more.

~Ann

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
It’s looking like my decision to go duck hunting along the Texas Gulf Coast instead of attend SCI won’t be missing much. I’ve still got a plane ticket to DSC, but if things stay as they are, I just may cancel and head back to Idaho during that time to shoot mallards.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
It’s looking like my decision to go duck hunting along the Texas Gulf Coast instead of attend SCI won’t be missing much. I’ve still got a plane ticket to DSC, but if things stay as they are, I just may cancel and head back to Idaho during that time to shoot mallards.

After next week, there won't be any mallards left! LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I helped at an Outfitters booth for several years. I booked many hunts for the Outfitter.
With that said, it is always better, of course to talk to the PH/Outfitter.

I think it’s a mistake to not have a booth, if you have a trust client to cover it. I would be on standby to do a zoom meeting to speak to potential clients. Set up a smart TV and try it.

I still believe you’d have more bookings but that is just my opinion.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
I helped at an Outfitters booth for several years. I booked many hunts for the Outfitter.

I think it’s a mistake to not have a booth, if you have a trust client to cover it. I would be on standby to do a zoom meeting to speak to potential clients. Set up a smart TV and try it.

You bring up an interesting point, especially when it comes to Internet connection.

From some posts, it seems Internet connections are not very good all over the place there, and very expensive.

May someone from the organization can shed a light on this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

You bring up an interesting point, especially when it comes to Internet connection.

From some posts, it seems Internet connections are not very good all over the place there, and very expensive.

May someone from the organization can shed a light on this.

Saeed:

Some months back, SCI had a Board/Executive Committee meeting at the same venue as the convention . The costs for this meeting were discussed . I can’t quote them as I do not recall the specifics . However, I do remember thinking the internet/AV costs were nothing short of staggering. To be clear these were Mandalay Bay charges.

Personally, I do not recall the cell issues. I am older than dirt. Perhaps I am forgetting .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree with you. If a prospect is able to talk with an very experienced Client who has hunted several times with the safari company, that is an incredible selling tool. Seeing the client face to face is infinitely better than a phone call.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding internet and cell service at convention center, Smart City Networks is the provider of these services. The prices, as mentioned before, are astronomical their service “menu” is too detailed to post but here is a link to pricing. This could have a huge impact on an exhibitor’s cost to exhibit.

https://smartcitynetworks.com/...r-Ordering-Guide.pdf

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Regarding internet and cell service at convention center, Smart City Networks is the provider of these services. The prices, as mentioned before, are astronomical their service “menu” is too detailed to post but here is a link to pricing. This could have a huge impact on an exhibitor’s cost to exhibit.

https://smartcitynetworks.com/...r-Ordering-Guide.pdf

This is nothing short of high way robbery!

Why?

It really is very easy to see that the service provider does not care about either DSC or the exhibitors.

All they care about is getting as much out of this as they can possibly can.

To the extent that they are restricting even cell services?

Time for someone for someone from DSC to start talking to someone else to provide the service.

As I mentioned earlier, many exhibitors were complaining about the SCI setup, where everything is controlled by the union mafia.

I hope DSC can see this happening here too, and they must take care of it before it gets out of hand!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just an idea trying to think out of the box in these bizarre times. As an accommodation to those outfitters that are unable to attend given travel bans and airline cancellations and who have therefore elected to roll over their booth deposits to next year, would DSC allow those outfitters to post on the outfitters websites and social media pages a short list of former clients (2-3) that would be present at the show to answer questions? DSC could even have a list on their website of outfitters not attending and client contact details to help facilitate this process in this truly unique situation.

The post would include the mobile numbers of the clients so individuals with questions could contact them at the show and meet them for a few minutes face-to-face to answer questions. This would not be like having a booth and having former clients man the booth to facilitate and schedule bookings, take deposits, arrange Zoom calls (which frankly are impractical in this situation in any event), etc. Simply a cheap means of connecting former clients with potential clients at the show to answer questions face to face if desired.

I can understand that DSC would not want this to become some backdoor means for outfitters to be at the show and book hunts without buying a booth, but it could be limited to this year only and only available to outfitters from countries that are subject to travel limitations that make attendance virtually impossible. DSC could even prohibit using the process to have the former clients book specific dates or take deposits for the outfitter. Just make it a way to share information and get contact details so that the outfitter could subsequently contact the potential client. Just seems like in a year when it looks like some of these outfitters are facing a lemon of convention, perhaps a way to make a little lemonade out of the situation.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea Mike .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fauci is now saying that Biden may be rethinking the Southern Africa travel ban. We can only hope!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote