New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blurred out faces
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's with this? I understand that some miscreants give hunters a hard time, but I'll never allow my photo to be posted with my face blurred out. I'm not ashamed of any animal I have taken or that I will take. I think it's a shame that hunters are so cowed by the antis that they won't show their faces.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Each to his own.
Many people don't mind showing their faces, some do. I wouldn't be so quick to call then all cowards.

A story regarding this:
A PH, who also posts here, did post a picture of a client with an animal after asking the hunter for permission. This picture caused a shitshorm in social Media. The hunter then sued the PH and was successful.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It does tarnish the image but then rather photograph the PH or simply the animal if the photo is to be published.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Yep just don't pose with animals if it is going to be a problem if published. One thing I cannot stomach myself even as a hunter is the stupid practice of holding leopards up, or I have seen images of the same thing in the States with mountain lions. I don't see any other animals or even lions being hoisted up for show. To me it is a dumb practice that I don't see the point of it other than hey look at me I'm bigger than you.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Each to his own.
Many people don't mind showing their faces, some do. I wouldn't be so quick to call then all cowards.

A story regarding this:
A PH, who also posts here, did post a picture of a client with an animal after asking the hunter for permission. This picture caused a shitshorm in social Media. The hunter then sued the PH and was successful.

Sadly, the first thing that comes to mind when seeing this is that THEY are cowards!

Why bother posting a photo then/

Why not post a photo of the animals, and you stay out of it.

It actually looks horrible, to me at least.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Yep just don't pose with animals if it is going to be a problem if published. One thing I cannot stomach myself even as a hunter is the stupid practice of holding leopards up, or I have seen images of the same thing in the States with mountain lions. I don't see any other animals or even lions being hoisted up for show. To me it is a dumb practice that I don't see the point of it other than hey look at me I'm bigger than you.

Interesting opinion. Most of these images are of really big Leopards and this pose does prove the mass of the cat. Not always but your average or smaller Leopard are usually photographed on the ground with the hunter sitting well behind. The post is about erasing the identity of the hunter and maybe your concern could make for another debate. Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Holding a leopard like that makes it look bigger.

Just as a croc hung up a tree does.

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It’s a sad place society has come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Very true.

But I refuse to let idiots ruin my way of life!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
What's with this? I understand that some miscreants give hunters a hard time, but I'll never allow my photo to be posted with my face blurred out. I'm not ashamed of any animal I have taken or that I will take. I think it's a shame that hunters are so cowed by the antis that they won't show their faces.

Curious as to whether you have ever posted a hunt report?

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had an investor in Clearview AI demo their facial recognition software in my office. It picked up most, if not every picture of me taken at professional gatherings or press interviews or charity events that got posted to the web.
I don't do social media, and I'm very open that I enjoy hunting and fishing. But while I'm still working, I'll be damned if I'm posting pics posing with game. I just don't need the aggravation or see any reason to call that kind of attention to myself from people I want nothing to do with. Add to that the reputational risk to my company from the wingnut fringe. I proudly share pics among friends with the proviso that I'd better not see them on the internet. I really have to hammer this into my young adult children. I've posted hunt reports with pics of the animals alone, but sometimes I forget to take those. Once I retire, then a lot of these reservations disappear. It's kind of sad, but it's the world we live in.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

For some they just don't want the aggravation, but for others the negative attention could be a career ender.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it cowardly not to have your picture taken with an animal. Posting them on a media site even with a face blurred still gives the Anti's ammunition to fire back at us. My pics are for me and friends, not for the whole world to see. That is rapidly coming to an end. Same with black guns, perception is what counts and gentlemen we are becoming out numbered but if it becomes an Alamo event I will be one to fight to the last man.

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I don't think courage plays much of role in blurring faces in trophy pix. Not getting crucified on social media and job security do.

Blurring faces is in my opinion in bad taste as it ruins the pic. At least for me it does. My eye is drawn to the grotesque blurred face rather than the trophy.

As suggested, take the pic with the PH and or crew in the frame. If PHs would remember this there wouldn't be a need for blurred faces. Taking one more pic takes only a minute.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do as you wish with photos of yourself. When it comes to photos of other people only post with permission. This applies whether they are posed with a deer, a fish, or at their grandmother's 100th birthday party.

I sometimes post photos of game taken by someone else on my place or on a trip with them. I don't do the blur thing, but rather simply crop the photo below the hunter's face so that their privacy (for whatever reason because it is THEIR privacy) is preserved.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask the dentist that killed Cecil if he wishes he had anonymity…

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
quote:

A PH in Namibia told me that the reason to hold up a leopard with all 4 feet/legs visible in a photo is to prove that the animal wasn't snared first.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mjines with the checkmate!! Lol

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very intriguing thread as my stance on this has changed over time. A decade ago, I had no problem posting hunt reports with my face included in photos. I only post photos and reports here on AR. However, on my last few reports I've gone the route of having just the animal in the photos.

While I do not like caving in to societal trends, I have a family as my first priority. My job supports my family and I am blessed to have a wonderful job. For me, it would be taking unnecessary risk at this point so I will keep my face out of photos for the time being.

Honestly, the photos are better without me in them anyways rotflmo

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with my face exposed and used in advertising by outfitters and gear manufactures I approve off or hunt reports. But I no public profile and dependent on no one for my Livelihood. I still would not post a photo with a dead lion - I don’t want to be meme or public figure cause there is me and a dead lion.

Outfitters should take picture with the animal themself or with just a rifle.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have not because I can't figure out how to post pictures. I get your point, but I have have authorized outfitters to post numerous photos on their websites and at the shows. So my face is out there with animals. And I have no problem with that.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blurring faces is in my opinion in bad taste as it ruins the pic. At least for me it does. My eye is drawn to the grotesque blurred face rather than the trophy.

As suggested, take the pic with the PH and or crew in the frame. If PHs would remember this there wouldn't be a need for blurred faces. Taking one more pic takes only a minute.

Agreed, tu2

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Interesting opinion. Most of these images are of really big Leopards and this pose does prove the mass of the cat. Not always but your average or smaller Leopard are usually photographed on the ground with the hunter sitting well behind. The post is about erasing the identity of the hunter and maybe your concern could make for another debate. Cheers

My added bit about posing with leopards was just to highlight certain practices that do not help when posing with animals/trophies. This practice may or may not have any 'effect' on how the anti hunting fraternity feel but why risk inflaming a situation. You don't see it so much, if at all, now but the old stand on top of a recently dispatched elephant, al la young Harry Selby, is another pose that would likely inflame the anti's, if just the dead elephant hasn't already.

Blurring faces, restricting certain poses with animals, not publishing photos or hunt reports can all be viewed as damage control that is increasingly being forced on some in the hunting fraternity.
I agree with many here that blurring or redacting faces in photos detracts greatly from the images and perhaps just serves to give an impression that the hunter is not 'comfortable' at what he has just done, or at least he/she doesn't want it made public.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The sad part is why does the law allows these brainless, selfish, ignorant idiots to mess up with other people's lives?

If one does anything that is legal, who should be protected.

Everyone is trying toimpse THEIR way of life on others should never be acceptable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

The liberals have become numerous over the years and have discovered that their voice can and is heard and are manifesting their fucked up opinions which are protected by the politicians.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another reason why we slowly lose the war with the anti crowd. If you blur your face it is like your embarrassed of what you have hunted and killed. just a bad look overall when we tell everyone we do this for good reason.

Will be posting plenty of pics from my upcoming trip on my facebook page and any other place I can share. Proud to do so and really dont care what anyone else thinks

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don’t blur photos of myself but did disguise a mate with a beard at his request. I have had an animal rights group upload a photo of me on their website. A friend from another hunting forum found it and let me know. The photo came off Hunt101 and was subject to copyright. The animal rights group wouldn’t remove the photo when requested and suggested I take legal action. They didn’t know my name and I couldn’t be bothered spending money on a lawyer. For all I know the photo may still be on their site. Fortunately the animal I am posed with is a feral donkey so not high on the list of tree hugger’s priorities.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Being a 75 year old retiree, I’m not worried about my face appearing in trophy shots with animals I’ve killed. I’ve allowed my PH from my five previous Namibian safaris, Jan du Plessis, to use photos of me on his Sebra website. I did post a picture of me with a humongous Turkey on Facebook, figuring most people would find that socially acceptable.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

I write a lot of reports and have zero concerns about posting photos of myself, wife and son who hunts on this site. Basically the only site that I post on if I think about it.

I am proud to be able to hunt alone, or with my family members and hunting friends and equally comfortable and proud to let friends and office know that I am a hunter and angler and I can debate it, argue the whys and why nots and hold my corner on the subject.

I would stop posting and writing before I started to blur and blacken our faces.

Either you have the spine to stand up for what you are and what you do and fight for it or stop doing it IMO.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
This is all due to Liberal Democrats forcing their worldview on everyone. The hunting industry is low hanging fruit and was an early target. It’s now pervasive and darn near ubiquitous. Anything ANYTHING!That doesn’t align with the left agenda is subject to harassment, doxing, and always with the threat of violence.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just about to make this same post. I always ask my outfitter partners to take pics without the clients so i can use the pics for marketing.

But when people post their own hunting pics and hide their faces I think that's stupid behaviour. On one hand you dont want to show your face, on the other hand you are dying to tell everyone what you just shot! Just dont post anything. There is this one joker who hangs his head on all his pics with a hat covering his face! Like he is a rapist caught in the act. What an idiot! I have seen another well made movie on you tube where you never see the hunters face! Its a frigging joke.

My final rant is posting pics of animals to make them look like giants. Including PHs, even some well know ones! Standing 10' behind the animal or fish, taking a photo 5 inches from its nose making the head look huge, turning the horns to one side. It's all a bloody joke!!

We are doing ourselves a great diservice by not standing up to the world! Why should we hide ourselves like we are guilty of a crime. If you truly love hunting and believe that it is good for conservation then tell the whole world and correct the non believers. I also don't believe in making a big point about how hunting is good for conservation before i tell people i like to hunt and shoot animals (not harvest them or catch them). The whole conservation is a great side benefit, but not the main reason why we hunt.

Stand up and be a man next time. you will see they back down!

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
I was just about to make this same post. I always ask my outfitter partners to take pics without the clients so i can use the pics for marketing.

But when people post their own hunting pics and hide their faces I think that's stupid behaviour. On one hand you dont want to show your face, on the other hand you are dying to tell everyone what you just shot! Just dont post anything. There is this one joker who hangs his head on all his pics with a hat covering his face! Like he is a rapist caught in the act. What an idiot! I have seen another well made movie on you tube where you never see the hunters face! Its a frigging joke.

My final rant is posting pics of animals to make them look like giants. Including PHs, even some well know ones! Standing 10' behind the animal or fish, taking a photo 5 inches from its nose making the head look huge, turning the horns to one side. It's all a bloody joke!!

We are doing ourselves a great diservice by not standing up to the world! Why should we hide ourselves like we are guilty of a crime. If you truly love hunting and believe that it is good for conservation then tell the whole world and correct the non believers. I also don't believe in making a big point about how hunting is good for conservation before i tell people i like to hunt and shoot animals (not harvest them or catch them). The whole conservation is a great side benefit, but not the main reason why we hunt.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509

Arjun -

"Stand up and be a man"?

You have got to be kidding. What ever happened to - to each his own? Now if we don't post or blurred faces, we don't meet your measure of being a man? Great tactics from a booking agent.

Go ahead and stand up to the anti-hunting crowd. They are well funded and a cohesive group. We, proof of which is this thread, can't even agree what is damaging to our demographic. They have 100% of the media, print and digital. Go ahead and "pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel". Good luck.

I personally don't feel the need to post stuff. I did 10 or so years ago before this became a thing. My face will never be blurred either.

And to Lavaca: Email me a picture of a Lion and I'll post it for you? of course not. We've all read accounts of executives losing jobs and even businesses from the backlash of posting stuff.

I could see a legal practice losing high profile clients because they see their lawyer on Facebook posing with a dead Lion. It's just common sense anymore. If I were a lawyer, I'd advise my clients to just not do it.

Yet, it seems that we argue the point if those of us who don't are somehow hiding in the shadows? Thats complete bullshit.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In my view, It's just a traditional manner to photograph a Leopard? I see nothing wrong with it.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509

Totally agree with this post and others of like sentiments.

I have recently retired from a company I worked for for almost 30 years and never made any secret I was a hunter. I ended up with the nickname "Bullets" because of my involvement in hunting, firearms, reloading and firearm safety instruction.

Once our senior management team each had do a short presentation, accompanied by a photo up on screen, of what we thought defines ourselves as individuals. The managers, men and women, all put up a range of images showing various interests and activities that they felt help define them, I put up a photo of me with a buffalo (my avatar image I think was the photo I used). Accompanying the photo was my speech to the effect I only work to earn money to support my family and to allow me to follow my passion for hunting and all things associated with that.

There was an audible gasp from some, confronted by such a photo, however to a person they were all interested in my thoughts with many saying they never knew I had hunted animals such as buffalo or had hunted in Europe. Some thought hunting just involved rabbits and deer locally.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One has to be careful these days . A few years ago, a picture I posted here, was used on a Facebook page some antis started for my business. The purpose was clearly to damage my business.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

I don't think courage plays much of role in blurring faces in trophy pix. Not getting crucified on social media and job security do.

Mark

I agree Mark. I have had hunters simply looking after their business who did not wish to be photographed. Had business owners who couldn't care less. Latest I had was a guy who caught bad people for a living, and didn't want his face posted all over social media.

Nothing cowardly about that.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
quote:

In my view, It's just a traditional manner to photograph a Leopard? I see nothing wrong with it.

As you quoted 'each to his own'.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I post dead animal photos on Instagram, Facebook, AR, etc. on a regular basis. I've never blurred out anything and wouldn't know how to anyway. I've never had any negative feedback and my list of social media contacts is widespread geographically and diverse in a lot of respects.

In some small part, I think my social media pics help normalize (or re-normalize) hunting, generally and hunting in Africa, specifically. I have lots of social media contacts who probably don't see dead turkeys, dead rattlesnakes, or a dead cape buffalo outside my instagram pics. Those dead animal pics are nicely balanced and interspersed with pics of my beautiful wife and precious children.

Personally/Professionally, I am a trial lawyer and a named partner at a two-man Firm. There is zero chance of any personal/professional repercussions for my hunting lifestyle. That is not true of everyone; and I harbor no ill-will towards those who blur their face for anonymity. That is not cowardice, it is prudence.

That said, I think everyone who can ought to consider being open/public about our outdoor pursuits (so long as it is done tastefully). It lets non-hunters know that we [still] exist. It may even spark interest and lead to creating a new hunter.

Posts: 51 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 10 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple then why post your photo? Dont post anything or just post a photo with the animal or with the PH or tracker. What do i miss!!! It costs nothing to take umpteen pics with your digital camera or cell phone......

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509

Arjun -

"Stand up and be a man"?

You have got to be kidding. What ever happened to - to each his own? Now if we don't post or blurred faces, we don't meet your measure of being a man? Great tactics from a booking agent.

Go ahead and stand up to the anti-hunting crowd. They are well funded and a cohesive group. We, proof of which is this thread, can't even agree what is damaging to our demographic. They have 100% of the media, print and digital. Go ahead and "pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel". Good luck.

I personally don't feel the need to post stuff. I did 10 or so years ago before this became a thing. My face will never be blurred either.

And to Lavaca: Email me a picture of a Lion and I'll post it for you? of course not. We've all read accounts of executives losing jobs and even businesses from the backlash of posting stuff.

I could see a legal practice losing high profile clients because they see their lawyer on Facebook posing with a dead Lion. It's just common sense anymore. If I were a lawyer, I'd advise my clients to just not do it.

Yet, it seems that we argue the point if those of us who don't are somehow hiding in the shadows? Thats complete bullshit.

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCLawyer:
I post dead animal photos on Instagram, Facebook, AR, etc. on a regular basis. I've never blurred out anything and wouldn't know how to anyway. I've never had any negative feedback and my list of social media contacts is widespread geographically and diverse in a lot of respects.

In some small part, I think my social media pics help normalize (or re-normalize) hunting, generally and hunting in Africa, specifically. I have lots of social media contacts who probably don't see dead turkeys, dead rattlesnakes, or a dead cape buffalo outside my instagram pics. Those dead animal pics are nicely balanced and interspersed with pics of my beautiful wife and precious children.

Personally/Professionally, I am a trial lawyer and a named partner at a two-man Firm. There is zero chance of any personal/professional repercussions for my hunting lifestyle. That is not true of everyone; and I harbor no ill-will towards those who blur their face for anonymity. That is not cowardice, it is prudence.

That said, I think everyone who can ought to consider being open/public about our outdoor pursuits (so long as it is done tastefully). It lets non-hunters know that we [still] exist. It may even spark interest and lead to creating a new hunter.

I think your response is prudent and well articulated.

However, there are certain species that seem to enrage and illicit a bazaar response from the anti-hunting crowd.

My feeling about not posting photos from a professional perspective, not only protects my family and I, but no less important is the well being of my employees and their families.

Formerly "Nganga"