New
Find
Notify
Tools

binoculars for Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm booked to hunt in Namibia at the Gras Ranch this coming March. My list of PG wanted includes kudu, gemsbok, zebra, black wildebeest and blue wildebeest. What binos would be best? Does anyone use the compact sized glasses? My only glass is 8x56 Zeiss. Are these too heavy?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I did my first hunt in Namibia and used similar sized binoculars. They worked fine for me. I did alot of glassing and was glad to have the full sized binos.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the Gras you'll have wide open spaces and long distances to glass, so a higher power (8x-10x) full size glass is the most useful. You'll mostly be riding in a hunting vehicle, so size and weight is not quite so important.

Nonetheless, those 56mm European instruments can be HEAVY when tied around your neck. And, you can always "lose" a set of expensive binoculars "in transit". So, you might want to check out a slightly smaller, less expensive set for your trip. I used an 8x30 on my trip to a ranch next door to the Gras and found their compactness and lightweight to be a benefit, while the smaller objective is of no consequence in the bright daylight you'll be hunting in (we didn't take anything within an hour of either dusk or dawn). Something like a quality 10x30 would make a great hunting glass for these conditions.

You'll want to add springbock and red hartebeest to your game list. There must be thousands of springbock on the Gras, and though it is a small antelope it is a beautiful trophy, and those in Southern Namibia are among the best.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I was well served by my 10X42 Kahles in Namibia and South Africa.

I also second the suggestion to add springbok to your list - don't pass one up when you're in their prime area!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
I was well served by my 10X42 Kahles in Namibia and South Africa.

I also second the suggestion to add springbok to your list - don't pass one up when you're in their prime area!

X2 thumb

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I used Swarovski 8.5x42s in Namibia a year and a half ago. Distances are great, and it takes a lot of resolution (lens quality and light gathering) to discern a rock-coloured trophy standing in the shade of a rock-coloured rock. Be sure to use a bino-buddy or some other type of harness.

Having said that, I'm not sure a pair of high quality 8x30s wouldn't have done just as well.

Still, I would feel well equipped with a pair of Zeiss binos as you have described.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a apir of leica ultravid 10x50's in Namibia and Zimbabwe. They work just fine

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 10X42 w/ no problems. Used a bino buddy-never seemed to notice them, either in the truck or on foot.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a pair of Ultravid 10x25s on both my hunts in Nam'

This year I took a pair of 15x56 Geovids as well........they proved suprisingly useful when glassing on a Oryx cull near Malthohe...that is big country down there!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 10x42 Kahles with bino buddies and they were great.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I was at Gras in 2005. You will have a great time. either 8x or 10x will do fine. Get the brightest, clearest ones you can afford. BUT dont spend too much so you can take another trophy. shoudl find Leupold or nikon in the $200 to $300 range will work great.

Tell Errol and The Spangneberg family that Kurt and Rusty say hello.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote