THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    375 300 grain nosler partition and buffalo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 300 grain nosler partition and buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any one have any first had experience with the 300 375 NP on buffallo and or lion?

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that my PH in Chewore area of Zim (DG country) HATES the 300 grain Nosler Partition on buffalo. Don't know his feelings on lions with this bullet.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
It worked on this one:

In fact this one didn't run as far after the shot as another one I hit in the same place with a Swift out of a .460 Wby.

I don't recall if we found that Partition or not but many people have used them with great success.

They don't have the exclusivity and snob appeal of the boutique bullets but it's hard to go wrong with a good old Partition.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
They work alot better on impala than the Swifts, so my conclusion is that they are genrally too soft for buff. Swift A-Frames?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19310 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Noslers are definately too soft for buffalo. I would stronly advise against their use on buffalo. Rather use a Swift A-Frame, or TBBC or Barnes X. The one and only time a client refused to listen to me regarding what bullet to use, (he was using a Nosler 300gr on a buff cow) the result was a charge. Because he was on a 10 day SA PH course, he knew everything, even if it was his first DG animal. The shot was perfectly placed for the angle (angled on), but disintegrated on the shoulder, without penetrating more than 6 inches. I have never experienced any of the same problems with Rhino (SA made), Swift A-frames, Barnes X bullets with simmelar shots, calibers, angles etc on buffalo bulls, never mind cows.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have shot two buffalo with the 300gr NP in a 375H&H. Neither went more than ten yards after the shot BUT..... The bullets both failed to penetrate the ribcage on the far side. These were broad-side shots that took the Aorta(yes on both and, yes, I was very lucky) but did not even find the skin on the far-side.

I don't require pass throughs, but a bullet is too soft if it does not at least reach the skin on the far side on a broadside shot.

So I would use the 300NP if that was what I had but I would do so knowing that it was really a bit to soft for anything other than broadside shots.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Kyler on this one. I've only shot one buffalo but I used a 300gr Nosler Partition at 2540fps and the result suprised me.

The bull was in an open area with just some small bushes and presented a shot that was not quite directly facing me...just a very slight angle. His head was up looking at us and the crease where his neck joined the body was very clear. The range was just a bit under 50 yards and while I couldn't see the impact, the video clearly shows the puff of gas from the rifle, the rifle coming up off the sticks in recoil, a puff of dirt from the bullet hitting the point-of-aim, the bull's hear coming up, his back legs coming off the ground....and him dropping in his tracks so hard a puff of dust rose into the air. This all happened so fast the buff was on the ground, and out of sight, when I got back into the scope....and then I heard the death bellow........the recovered bullet weighed right at 200gr which my experience shows is typical of the Partition...about 2/3's weight retention.

Is it the best bullet for buff? I don't know but it worked for me and I thought the point was not to have the bullet exit because of the risk of hitting an animal behind the one being shot?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I would take an exit wound anyday over a bullet that cannot be relied upon to penetrate from any reasonable angle. It all depends who you want to believe- someone with limited (less than 5 buff kills in total), or someone who has seen more than 50 buff die form various shots, caliber, angles, bullets etc.
One more thing, just because it works OK sometimes does not make ait a proper bullet for Cape Buff. You can down a fighter jet with a .223 assult rifle, does that make it an anti aircraft cannon?

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do try to avoid using the NP on buffalo, not recommended. the only time i shot a buff with an NP, i was after eland and came across a group of buff.....and they always take priority as far as I am concerned Cool i lost that buffalo thumbdown after it headed into the park and rejoined the herd it was with. on impact though it fell backwards and wriggled around on the ground as if hit by an 18 wheeler. On lion they are good enough IMO

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is necessarily the "BEST" soft bullet for Cape Buffalo, but it isn't as bad as a couple here would like you to think! I can tell you one thing, the only one shot kills I personally have on Cape Buffalo, have been with .375 300 gr Nosler Partitions, and the long runs made by any of them was 35 yds. All others have taken at least three shots, regardless of caliber, bullet type, unless the brain, or spine was hit!

If you think the 300 gr NP will not penetrate, I had the exact same shot as DB Bill,just described, from 75 yds, on Buffalo, hitting it in the crease between the right neck, and shoulder on a quartering toward me shot. The bullet hit just where I aimed, and took the top off the heart, got a small piece of the right lung, and ripped a wide tear the full length of the laet lung, and shot completely through a full, grass packed stomach, to end up just under the skin of the laft flank. That's about four feet of straight line penetration, and I find them under the skin on the off side with shots right through the shoulders. I have that bullet in my hand right now, and it's retined weight is 280 grs ! This bull turned and went into the thick, and made a 35 yd fishhook to come back on his back trail, and went down, bellowed once, and died!

I've shot them from about the same shot with a 500 gr Woodliegh soft from a 500/450NE double, and had them run 300 yds, with two running away WOODLIEGH solids up the old poop shoot.

Is the NP the best?, NO! is it a good bullet for the Buffalo, in a 375H&H rifle? YES!, with the soft loaded on top, and followed by all solids there after!. The real question should be, is the 375 H&H the best one can use on Cape Buffalo, with any bullet? beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
karl ----- have you read THE PERFECT SHOT by Kevin Robertson? I think he's shot more than a few buffalo and been there when a lot more were shot. He likes the .375 for clients and he likes to load the it down to around 2425-2450 fps as well -----and he doesn't like that first shot to exit for the reason I mentioned.

I should have mentioned that after the Partition in the chamber I had a magazine full of solids if needed.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have no bone to pick with either kevin, a .375, or you for that matter. I personally like a .375 or 9.3 for buffalo, JUST NOT WITH A NOSLER PARTITION. They fail to penetrate (sometimes), period. I like an exit wound, because (1)I like more blood to follow, (2) more air comes into chest cavity, so lungs fall flat quicker (3) if a bullet exit, I know it will penetrate any reasonable angle. They story of not wounding an animal at the back: well, you are not supposed to shoot anyhow if something is in the way. The "dumping of energy" BS: energy does not kill. A hole in the vitals kill, nothing more, nothing less.

quote:
If you think the 300 gr NP will not penetrate, I had the exact same shot as DB Bill,just described, from 75 yds, on Buffalo, hitting it in the crease between the right neck, and shoulder on a quartering toward me shot. The bullet hit just where I aimed, and took the top off the heart, got a small piece of the right lung, and ripped a wide tear the full length of the laet lung, and shot completely through a full, grass packed stomach, to end up just under the skin of the laft flank. That's about four feet of straight line penetration, and I find them under the skin on the off side with shots right through the shoulders. I have that bullet in my hand right now, and it's retined weight is 280 grs ! This bull turned and went into the thick, and made a 35 yd fishhook to come back on his back trail, and went down, bellowed once, and died!

Mac, my point was:
quote:
One more thing, just because it works OK sometimes does not make it a proper bullet for Cape Buff. You can down a fighter jet with a .223 assult rifle, does that make it an anti aircraft cannon?

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot only 1 buff, it was with 300 gr. North Fork soft, it was shot straight on walking to me @ 90+- yards, bullet penetrated into the stomach, picture perfect and weighed 285+ gr. after all foreign matter was removed from bullet.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have only shot one Buff but it was one shot with a 375 and Nosler. 50 yds shoulder shot, buff went up and over on hind legs and was dead with 4 feet in air. I have used Noslers for over 50 years and on everything up to and including Buff and couldn't ask for better performance when I do MY job which is to place it properly. I actually have one bullet recovered from an Eland shot at about 100yds. Shoulder shot bullet recovered under skin on off side. All 4 legs went different directions and animal went straight down. Recovered bulet was expanded perfectly with front jacket rolled back and expanded to .65. Unusual thing was the front core was with it and perfectly mushroomed also but was seperate from rest of bullet. It was a 260gr and weighed 209grs. About the only thing I use is Noslers and Woodleighs. Why change a winning combination.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. Lots to think about. No body mentioned taking a lion with the 300 NP. Sounds to me like it would be just about perfect for that.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I think the Nosler Partition would be great for lion but the Swift A Partition would be better for Buff.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 300 grain Nosler partition out of my old Model 70 .375 H&H to bag a big male Lion in 2004. The first shot was just to the right of the nose. This knocked him down, but it missed the brain by 1 1/2 inches. He then charged. A shot in the neck knocked him down again. However He got back up! The last shot at 20 yards was through the shoulders that put him down for good. The first shot was a 35 yards, and the action was over in around 25 seconds or less. All in all I thought the bullet did well.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yikes. that sounds like a memorable experience. Was the lion on bait or did you just bump into him?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we had just finished a water break, as the day was very warm when the tracker spotted the lion in some very thick thorns. Practicing working the bolt from the shoulder dry firing each evening before I left for Africa helped me cycle the bolt quickly. Also I thought that the Nosler did very well.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why bother with NP when you have these:

http://www.northforkbullets.com/375-300.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
How do the old turned 300 grn noslers compare with the new ones? tougher, softer, the same?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Ernest, My buddy Bob is using the Swifts in his 375, hopefully in a couple of weeks we will give a report. I believe the Swift is a better choice on Buff, based on talking to several PH's. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Iused a lot of np on water buffalo ,an old hunter presented me with them and i have very good results unfortunately i dont have anymore .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote