New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best binos for plains game hunt
 Login/Join

posted

Question:
I'm planning my first plains game hunt in South Africa and cannot settle on which binos I should bring. I was hoping to get some advice from the group. (In case the answer is "ask the PH, he tells me to "bring what I'm comforitable with").
Thanks in advance.

Choices:
8x20
8x30
10x42
15x56

Posts: 9 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 27 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've used both 8X30's and 10X42's on plains game hunts in South Africa. It really depends on the type of terrain and whether the country is open or bushy. For example, in the Northern Cape where it is wide open for the most part, the 10X42's seemed best. However, in the Limpopo area as well as near Thabazimbi, I preferred the 8X30's because of the thicker terrain. Where in South Africa are you going?

posted Hide Post
I'll be in the Limpopo Province, near Gravelotte

Posts: 9 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 27 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be using the best bino's I have, a set opf Pentax SP's in 10x43. I will bring a small set of 6.5x32 Minox IF's as well.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a 8 or 7 x 40ish myself.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering the type of terrain/vegetation you'll find there, I would go for 8x30. Also don't forget those Cabela's shoulder straps "Pro Binocular Harness" as they keep the binos close to your chest and out of the way.

Posts: 60 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8x should be all the magnification you'll need. Bring something that works well in deep shade. I enjoy the '20 yards to infinity' focus feature on my Steiner 8x40 Predators.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer the Leica 8 X 32's, but the 8 X 30's will also do nicely.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near the Daniel Boone Homestead | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just hunted the wide open spaces of the Kalahari. Had the only binoculars I own with me - Leica 8x32 BA.

I have many items on my "would be nice to have" list, but new binoculars aren't one of them. Since buying the Leicas I've never felt handicapped in any hunting situation.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the 8x30 (or 8x32 as they often come these days) to be just about the perfect compromise for all-around use. Small enough not to be a burden in tough country, yet big enough to allow long term glassing without eyestrain. With 1st quality optics, you'd be surprised how much an 8x30 glass will help you in low light. Bring along a pouch to keep the binocs on your belt, when having them round your neck becomes a nuisance (e.g. on a belly stalk...).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment but I carry either my 10x42 or 10x50 Swarovskis. I actually prefer the 10x50's. They are heavy but you can really SEE what you are looking at and the lowlight advantage is really there. At 72 with nearsightedness and trifocals I need all the help I can get. I can't number the times the PH has asked to check something with them and he carries 8x32 Leicas which aren't too shabby. Carry what you feel comfortable using. Only you can determine that.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Given the choice the Swaro 8.5x42 EL is the best set of bino's I've looked at for this type of thing.

I used 8x50's last year and my mate used 7x42. His won on the weight saving.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've carried a pair of Swarovski 10X42 SLC bino for years. They are great.

I recently bought a pair of Lieca 8X32 BN bino on close out. For the minimal difference in power they are so much nicer to carry being smaller and lighter that they are all I carry today.

They are every bit as clear and are so good in low light as to be almost the same. Given the ergonomics of these bino they win out by a wide margin.

I've found that if you need more than 8 power glass it's time to get out a spotting scope anyway.

8 power glass is also much easier to hold steady and for long glassing sessions they do not cause near the eye strain as more powerful glass.

I am a convert!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Leica 8x32's.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Leicas or Nikons in 8x32 or thereabouts...

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in exactly the same situation as Surestrike. I've enjoyed using my Swarovski 10x42 SLC's for years in the US West, Alaska, and have even used them for a couple of trips to Africa. I will continue to use them, but only on trips where I plan on glassing the 'wide open spaces'. I was looking around for something lighter and smaller for this year's trip to the SE Alaska salmon streams and after a ton of research ended up with Zeiss 8x32 FL's. These will be great up there and also in Africa. I'll reserve my 10x42's and 15x58's for the wide open country.

If you're headed in the direction of the top end glass (remember, you use the glasses a LOT more than you use your rifle scope), the Swaro, Leica and Zeiss are all pretty much a toss-up. Your choice will depend on your own assessment of the ergonomics of each. DO go to a place that has all three if you can and compare side-by-side.

Once you decide on a pair (or two) check with Doug at Cameraland in NYC. He posts on here as gr8fuldoug. His personal service (ask for him specifically when you call) can't be beat and neither can his prices!

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Swarovski 8x30s back when I really "couldn't afford" them. I'm glad I did. They've given me much pleasure, lasted a lot longer than my partners' different glass, and seem to be "borrowed" more. Oh, that last one is their only bad point. Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10x32 Ultravids. Or if you don't mind the weight 10x42 Geovids........the integral range finder is a sweet thing.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Leica 8x30s.
I use to use my older Zeiss 10x40s but I found the 8X30s are clearer even at night plus lighter and can be used one handed.
The new Ultravids are very tempting.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 8X30s and would prefere Swaros, as they are light, and I find no need for a more powerful glass. If I do need more power I have a pair of 10x50s by Zeiss, but they are as heavy as cast iron!

Believe it or not, I have a small pair of bynocs that are 8X25s, rubber covered, water proof, nitrogen filled that I bought as gifts for the trackers, that turned out to be a very handy glass, that is suprisingly clear, and small. I use them a lot, and they only cost $105 from Cabela's. I bought three pairs so, at different times during the Safari, I could take them from around my neck, and give them to someone,but after useing them for a few days, I only gave two of them away. The PH wanted one, and I gave the other to the head tracker! I don't know who makes them but they are very well worth the price as back up, or as gifts in Africa.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried out three types - 7x30, 8x30 and 10x42 - all Swaro's. No issues with glass or light gathering.

I take the 7x30's as I can see better and a wider range with them. The others stay in the truck.

The 7x30's also weigh next to nothing as the 10x are very heavy.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my 10x40 Zeiss with the harness style stap on my hunt in the Limpopo area and found them to be very comfortable. Our longest stalk was on the order of a couple of hours so weight was not much of an issue. I did not need the 10 power magnification, but it certainly did not hurt.

Seems to me that the 7's 8's or 10's in your poll are all resonable choices where you are headed.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I brought my military Hensold 8x30 and it was more than enough. it is a fixed scope, very fast to use.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
10x42 Steiner Predators are what I took. I will use them next time. Get the best you can afford.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1240 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pentax 8x32 DCF SP Binoculars are half the cost or less of comparable Zeiss Victory's and are as highly rated.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I land in Namibia August 13th and will have my Swarovski 10 x 50's.Even though I am bow hunting and most game will be close, I am still sticking with my 10 x 50's They are heavy but worth their weight in low light situations. They will be in my carry-on backpack and with in reach the entire trip. I do use the shoulder harness type straps that are available from several different suppliers.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
Leica 10X50 with Crooked Horn Bino Harness. With a larger bino you never have to sacrifice. You will be able to glass much later with full size binos.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the best solution is something like the Swarovski 8x30 monoculars with the integral rangefinder. Two pieces of gear combined into one. Avoids to constant putting the binoculars down, picking up the rangefinder, finding the animal, over and over. The Leicas with the integral rangefinder are nice but very pricey. I had an opportunity to use both the Leicas and the Swarovski's in Namibia last month. The Swaros are a very close second for a lot less dinero and are a little less bulky.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I agree with Fallow Buck.

My Swarovski 8.5x42 ELs are the best I have ever tried, and I have tried them all. That is why they are mine. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best binoculars are the ones around your PH's neck. Let him do the looking while you concentrate on shooting.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
DC300,
I must disagree with you there as I feel there is more to hunting that include the use of Binos. There are so many things you would mis out on without them. JMO
A long time ago I vowed not to go bush with out a good pair of Binos.
Cheers,
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for some very small binoculars, I'm pretty well impressed w. some 8x...25s Brunton Epochs -- relatively inexpensive for the quality of the glass -- I REALLY like Ultravids, but they're big and heavy.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote