New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo trophy ideas.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Surprisingly my buffalo pieces are coming FedEx from South Africa. I have a number of buffalo horns and mounts so last year for the two i shot I decided to keep the horn tips to hold guns on a gun rack like with hippo tusks. Any suggestions for tanned hide? Make Boots and with who? Foot stool? Gun case / drag bag?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr Scott here on AR had a pair of boots made from one of his buffalo by a boot maker in North Texas and they are nice...wish I had done it. You might check with Dick Murray about having a gun case made. He does great work (Murray Custom Leather).

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo leather is excellent for a rifle case. I have two cases. It's very tough and I don't expect wear will aver be a problem during my lifetime. I have also had two sets of gaiters made from Buff hide for hunting Africa. I much prefer these to the canvas types.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo hide when tanned is not much different than any other bovine leather; the only difference being that it is not readily available unless someone decides to breed and ranch buffalo as one would with cattle.

Courtenay were and probably still are the only company producing a variety of leather products made from buffalo, elephant and hippo hides.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Virginia Creeper
posted Hide Post
The firm linked below has done very nice work with my African hides.
https://www.pinnellcustomleather.com/
Sincerely,

E Pluribus Unum - where out of many, we will become one.

Posts: 149 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Some chaps from Pinnel and boots might be the ticket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get some chukka boots made from my hides, but I can't find anyone to do it. Any ideas out there?
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kevin henderson:
I'd love to get some chukka boots made from my hides, but I can't find anyone to do it. Any ideas out there?
kh

Kevin, google and call Leonard Smith at the No Name Boot Co. in Otis Orchard, Washington state

He made a pair of cowboy boots in elephant with inlaid ostrich shin skin for me a few years ago. Is a craftsman.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
Thanks, I'll give him a call.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russel Moccasins also make a great pair

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote