THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What to do with a White Rhino skull?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with a White Rhino skull?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
As the title states, I have a white rhino skull and I don't know what to do with it. I have the paperwork from its importation from South Africa in 1995. Is it legal to sell it?
Thanks,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s a CITES animal.

I don’t think you can sell it unless it’s provably from before 1973(?) like elephant ivory.

You probably could donate it to a museum, and thus get a tax write off, if they will take it.

Otherwise, I don’t think you can get any monetary value for it.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I believe it's permissible to sell to someone within your state unless your state has regulations prohibiting the sale. Best have documentation of legal import if you advertise it.
See below for USFWS document.

https://www.fws.gov/internatio...et-can-i-sell-it.pdf

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s a CITES animal.

I don’t think you can sell it unless it’s provably from before 1973(?) like elephant ivory.

With all due respect, I don't believe that is correct.

A white rhino taken from South Africa is a Cites II animal, not a Cites I animal. Moreover, a U.S. Cites import permit is not required for a rhino trophy taken in South Africa or Swaziland. There are different regulations regarding Cites I and Cites II and what you can and cannot do. I believe that Karl is correct, but when in doubt call the USFWS and get an answer. Even then, make certain that you get specific information from them as to the regulations that they are citing in the answer that they give you. If you contact SCI's former legal counsel, Anna Seidman, who now works for the U.S. Government, I am sure that you could get a quicker answer. Maybe SCI would give you her number to call. And, then remember that even if you could do so under federal law, you may also be subject to state law that may prohibit the sale and/or possession of all or certain parts of a rhino (some with some exceptions) like the states of Washington, Nevada, New York, California, etc., although I am not aware of Alaska having the same restrictions at the present time. Now, rhino horn, or a skull with rhino horn attached, would be a totally different issue.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
What an interesting problem to have.

I am not sure what had happened to it, but about 20 years ago I was offered a zoo tiger pelt for a pittance, but I had to smuggle it from Vancouver into Washington.

The taxidermist in British Columbia had a really shady scent to his personality, and I was in no rush to go to jail. So I let fear rule valor and decided I didn't want to spend time in federal prison.

Pelt was nice, but if I look back at my life of the past 20 years and 5 international moves later, I doubt I would still have it if I didn't go to jail in the first place.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Won’t be the first time I’m wrong, but that was what was in the paperwork that I got with mine.

It might have changed between times, mine was just a couple years back.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I will take the horn and you can keep the skull?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can he give it away?

Cause I got a place for it.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I would suppose that Cal will follow through with the USFWS on this and get a definitive answer and share it with all of us. But, hypothetically, even if he could gift it, instate or interstate, what do the laws of the state of Colorado say about elephant ivory, rhino horn, etc. etc.? I do know that Colorado was considering at one time the very same sorts of bans on ele ivory, rhino horn, ele and rhino parts, warthog ivory, mammoth ivory, etc., etc. that the left leaning Pacific coast states, along with Nevada, eventually enacted. Please do share your information when you find out.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have a call into US F&W. They may return my call Monday.
Cal
I have found a home for it regardless.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote