New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x62 on elephant?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know it's not the ideal caliber for use on jumbo, but if you were to use one as a buffalo/elephant gun, would the 320-grain Woodleigh be the bullet of choice?

What other bullets would handle dual duty?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about dual duty, but GS Custom makes an FN that would probably be my choice if I had to use it.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
I know it's not the ideal caliber for use on jumbo, but if you were to use one as a buffalo/elephant gun, would the 320-grain Woodleigh be the bullet of choice?

It would be OK if your backed up by a PH with big bore in case of a charge. It will stop an ele charge but it won't unless you hit the brain. Not an easy task on frontal on a charging ele. Surely wouldn't be my choice. Fine for buff though. The 320 grain Woodleigh or a good FN solid for ele and Woodleigh soft for buff.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Jaegers,recently in an invitational hunt by NORMA in Poland i used GANYANA Dumoulin mauser 9.3 x62 a lot killing some huge boars and stags running with only one shot ,but of course elephant is another matter.I know for sure that ganyana took many buffalos with it and a lot of hippos in dry land ,i dont know if he used it for jumbos but we can ask him .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6364 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a next door neighbor in Windhoek that controlled problem Jumbos in the north and caprivi with a 9.3 with regularity and boring efficency... I do not know what bullet he was using.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:

Most defiantly.
I would have been quite happy to have used my 9.3x62 back up rifle (with 320 Woodleigh FMJs) on my last Ele hunt had it been necessary.
Tuskless cow hunting might be a concern though.
With the awesome penetration of the 320s along with the light, handy and accurate shooting 9.3s makes it quite a rig.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Please, please, use the 9.3. We ain't had no killer ele stories for way too long.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19327 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Please, please, use the 9.3. We ain't had no killer ele stories for way too long.

tu2 Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13443 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote