Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady's DGX 458gr 480gr.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Here is a cut open DGX expanding solid... Hope the pic shows all.... The lead is encapsulated inside of a total steel shell with a copper looking liner... Then an outer copper jacket...
But to me the outer copper jacket looks real thin and rifling will cut into steel inner capsule...
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

In your post, you state that the bullet shown is the DGX solid. The "DGX" is the expanding soft and the "DGS" is the steel clad solid.

This looks like it is the DGX expanding soft when looking at the nose.

Was your post a typo or am I wrong.

Thanks,

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
RCG,

Thank you I missed putting in expanding... It is there expanding solid...It is not a soft like there interloc...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Wonder what the purpose of the "inner cooper liner" is?

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
guys, this shows what I have been saying. Hornaday says the outer copper clad jacket is thick enough to keep the hard steel away from your barrelbut I agree with retreever. That copper jacket looks awfully thin to me. Does anyone have any pictures of a sectioned Woodleigh copper clad steel jacketed solid? I would sure like to see the difference.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
How thick is it compared to the depth of your rifling?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I posted in Double Rifles, member here 400 Nitro Express, says he worked with Hornaday and they made sure the copper was sufficiently thick to prevent the rifling from contacting the steel jacket.

400 Nitro Express was referring only to 450/400 bullets and 470 bullets, but you gotta think that if what he relates is what happened, Hornaday wouldn't have dropped the ball on other bullet diameters.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Expanding solid"? is that a double negative or some such thing?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
465H&H:

I agree, Mike's description is a bit of a misnomer. It is a soft point expanding bullet although it is designed to expand only to where the steel jacket begins to taper inward, app. 1/4 the way from the tip.

Sort of like the North Fork Cup points in that expansion should stop fairly early.

Hornady had a nice display at SCI with cutaway bullets, information, CD's, and helpful staff.

It is nice to see them offering what the African hunters need. Now, if we can get them to offer these in 9.3 and a 450 grain .458 for my .458WM I will be real happy and a new customer.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Here is Hornady's page on the bullet I just cant see it expanding that much at 2200 ft per second...
When you run a magnet around the bullet it sticks from head to toe...

Mike

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=790

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
and a 450 grain .458 for my .458WM I will be real happy and a new customer.

RCG

The 500's will do the trick! 2150fps, no issues (if your barrel isn't abreviated!)

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK:

You are probably right, but I am currently using 450 grain North Fork Cup Points and have shot 450 grain GS Custom FNS to around 2250 fps with AA 2230 and no powder compaction and excellent accuracy in my iron sighted 22" barrel .458WM.

Lot's of good options with today's bullets and powders.

Thanks,

RCG

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCG,

I have shot a bunch of eles with the 450 flat nose NF's and they work very well.

But until Hornaday goes to the truncated cone flat nose shape of the GS Customs or the NF's, I'd rather that both of their bullets were 500grs.

On the other hand, 500gr Woodleighs and 450 NF's shoot to almost the same poi in my rifle, with the NF's just a tad higher, nothing any elephant or buff would ever notice. I'm confident the 500 Hornadays will too.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
RCG,

I have shot a bunch of eles with the 450 flat nose NF's and they work very well.

But until Hornaday goes to the truncated cone flat nose shape of the GS Customs or the NF's, I'd rather that both of their bullets were 500grs.

On the other hand, 500gr Woodleighs and 450 NF's shoot to almost the same poi in my rifle, with the NF's just a tad higher, nothing any elephant or buff would ever notice. I'm confident the 500 Hornadays will too.

JPK

I really doubt that you will ever see Hornady or any other major manufaturer going to the truncated FN shape. There are too many rifles out their that won't feed that shape of bullet. It would create a nightmare for them in the number of complaints. If they could have done it, they would already have done it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
RCG,

JPK

I really doubt that you will ever see Hornady or any other major manufaturer going to the truncated FN shape. There are too many rifles out their that won't feed that shape of bullet. It would create a nightmare for them in the number of complaints. If they could have done it, they would already have done it.

465H&H

That was a rhetorical comment by me! I don't think so either.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that Remington has used the FN truncated shape for 20 years in their HV 22 rounds (Viper and yellow jacket).
They have all functioned very well through many auto 22's I have owned however the projectile is soft lead that has good lubricating characteristics for feeding.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote