New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Cape Buffalo Hunt
 Login/Join

posted
My Buffalo Hunt
My grandfather, Chris Coetzer was a big game hunter and hunted several buffaloes in his days, all with a .303, subsequently it became a lifelong dream to follow in his footsteps and hunt the magical and majestic African Cape buffalo.
I’ve hunted 22 species before deciding that it is time for my own buffalo hunt.... Now it was time for me to stare into those black eyes and settle a primal urge, that urge has pushed generations of hunters to measure their resolve in the face of overwhelming danger.

I suppose that today nothing new can be written about hunting Africa's notorious Cape Buffaloes. Such an awesome and intimidating animal has been hunted for so long, occasionally life-threatening, always exhilarating and with heart-pounding excitement. Buffalo hunting has inspired ink to flow from the pens of many famous African scribes and professional hunters. Somewhere back in time, after it has charged enough hunters and killed more than any other, the African buffalo was deservedly dubbed "Black Death."

This buffalo hunt I was accompanied by John Cowley; a lifelong friend and hunting partner together with Bush Wack safaris, Patrick Reynecke, as PH near Hoedspruit South Africa. This area has a great deal of rough (rugged) terrain, thick heavy brush and lots of buffaloes. We bought a package deal which allowed us to hunt two Buffalo Cows.

My rifle of choice was my trusted 9, 3 x 6,2 Mauser, also fondly refered to as “Getruida” using standard PMP 286 Grain rounds. Johns’ weapon was a newly purchased 458 double barrel, 500-grain monster-take down rifle.

Immediately after arrival we ensured the accuracy of our rifles by taking a few target shots. Our epic hunting journey embarked at around 8h00 pm. Initially we located the herd and then started tracking, minutes turned into hours as we remained on the herds spoor. The terrain with its steep hills and scattered rocks took its toll, and soon the hunting party would be breathing and panting, like a pride of lions after a long chase.

On numerous occasions we were able to stalk to within 20m of the herd, but the right animal with right horn length did not present a shot. The smells, noises and atmosphere we experienced while quietly and stealthily melting into the bush were overwhelming. The wind was swirling, and soon we were discovered and the herd would thunder away in a dense dust cloud, signalling that the whole stalk would be started again.

The herd headed to the far corner of the farm and the PH instinctively guided us to a ridge protruding from a dry river bed, about 40metres high, where we awaited the herd to turn back to our direction. There were two options for the Buffalo to follow, either cross the river bed 300metres to the right of us, or 100metres to the left.

The herd came thundering through the dense underbrush of the river bank. I was ready, as the head cow crossed the dry river bed she reduced her speed to a walk and the herd followed her example.

The PH eagerly searched for a hunt- able cow without a calf and with big horns, we only had about 40metres of clearing, the head cow disappeared into the bush on the other side of the dry river bed, we had seconds. At last the call came from the PH; “Last cow of the herd and wait for her to stop”.

I realised that within 5 paces she would be in the dense under growth and gone. I had seconds to contemplate, evaluate and take the shot, as she was walking away from us (quartering away).

All my experience came together and I decided in an instance that I had to take the shot at a 120metres, quartering away.

The shot rang out in my ears as the sound echoed of the nearby hills, dead silence! I then heard the familiar “thud” sound, that sound that only hunters know and I instinctively knew the shot was good! The herd broke off to the right and my buffalo broke ranks and ran left to the dense brush.
We waited about 30minutes before approaching the area we thought she should be in, by now the adrenaline caught up with me and I was shaking like a leaf, unable to light my cigarette. The day I don’t get the shaking feeling after a hunt, is the day I stop hunting.
We reached the area we thought she would take cover in, after searching briefly in the immediate area we decided to retrace our steps to where the initial shot were taken. On arriving at the area about 50metres further a clear and definite blood ‘spoor’ presented itself. The relief of discovering the blood spoor was quickly replaced with the instantaneous realisation that we were now tracking a WOUNDED African Buffalo.
Nothing prepared me for this experience, that cold stiffening sensation, my senses were in over-drive, every noise, every twitch of a leaf, my clearly audible heart beat. I loaded Getruida, and seconds later re-loaded her again. I was living my long awaited childhood dream!
We noticed a black figure, barely visible, through the thick undergrowth. She was facing us, ready for us to enter the death circle, instantaneously the guide leapt to the back of the party, I shouldered Getruida, heart pounding, the hair on the back of my neck raised and squeezed the trigger. The shot was good, but I was about to meet the African Buffalo’s fighting spirit.
The trees broke, the bush erupted in noises and then I heard it, the infamous death bellow of a dying buffalo. The sound made me tremble to my core, bellow after bellow, pandemonium broke out in the hunting party as she was still not visible and we couldn’t make out if she was charging towards us or away from us. The PH immediately instructed me to flank her from the right, where she just broke through the brush, another shot to the heart took her to ground, bellowing and fighting with raging eyes 10metres from me, we looked into each other’s eyes, and I experienced what generations of African hunters must have felt, with extreme exhilaration coupled with overwhelming humbleness, I gave her the final shot.
All the shots fired had hit the vitals, yet it took 45mins and 4 shots to get her down, again proving their infamous spirit. The African Buffalo hunt surpassed my expectations, the hunt was exceptional, the emotions, the turmoil, the conquering of the savage heart and satisfying an age old hunters dream.
John went on to hunt a fantastic one horned cow that made us run one and a half day on her spoor, she eventually took 6 shots to bring her down.
I wish to thank Bushwack Safaris and Patrick Reyneke for an exceptional hunt, the opportunity made me tick a bucket list box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good read, glad you both got your buffs.
Where's the pictures?

Another instance proving you've gotta hit 'em right to kill 'em outright.

Thanks for sharing with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
beer
Thats awesome

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
And people wonder why we do this?? "... to measure their resolve in the face of overwhelming danger." Could not have said any better. That is why I became a paratrooper.

Great read and well done. VERY glad you did not take your grandfather's .303!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
here they are...Thanks Theuns / John, very happy to have been contributing to your 'bucket list', hope to do so more in the near future!

Hunters: Theunis Coetzer and John Cowley
Outfitter: Bushwack Safaris
PH's Patrick Reynecke and Ian Brown
Area: Hoedspruit, Limpopo Province, RSA
Rifles used: 9.3 x 62 Mauser and .458 over and under
Date: May 29th 2013

Theuns's Buff:

John's Buff:

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
TC that is one hell of a post for a first post! Very well written, and a fine read all the way through.

Congratulations on you first cape buffalo! I must say those two cows are exceptional, and would be hard to tell from a bull at a quick look. Both had magnificent bosses for cows, and will make very good mounts.

Welcome to AR and we look forward to more of your writings as you fill in more ticks on your bucket list! There is nothing I know the matches going into the thick weeds with a wounded cape buffalo! The adrenalin tries very hard to explode your skull, and when it is over the sudden weakness in your legs, and the brassy taste in your mouth is delicious!

................................................................... beer tu2 patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mac, excellent first post & very exciting first DG safari.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and well done. Now you're hooked.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Great read. Congratulations on a great hunt.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXCELLENT!!!
Congratulations tu2

Roland

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great hunt & very well written.

Thanks for sharing

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a really exciting first report!

Your 458 O/U sounds very interesting!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Great report - and now you will dream about going back into the jess to hunt nyati once more!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Congrtas to the hunter and PH, Good j
ob Patrick.

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Great report ,nice photos ,very intersting double .Congratulations im a big fan of buffalo hunting .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote