Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Gratuities
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted
I've seen a wide range of gratuities suggested in several websites. What is "customary" for a Buffalo hunt, how is it distributed, and to whom?
PH- (In US$ Please)
Skinners -
Gun Bearer/Tracker-
Misc -
Thanks for any light you can shed on this topic.
Dave

132 days and counting

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALMOSTACOWBOY
Heres my two cents,I am not a ritch man by any means I respect hard work.If I am guided by
the outfitter , no tip you just paid him thousands of dollars to do what he is supposed
to do. Now a PH or guide if he is very good and
does his job well or exceptional then I give the most I can afford. Trackers and skiners I usally give money and a gift, knife ect.
Last year I was in SA I gave my tracker 40 dollars US at SA rate it was about 140 dollars.
The PH said that I gave him a months pay.
I hope this will help.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Ask ph what to give camp staff and he will advise...I also took hats and shirts for trackers and whoever I decided to give theme too..$25 to 35 for the week...Ph if he works hard for you and you will know that by the end of each day and you are bushed from a lot of walking..and game sightings...You can tip up to $100 per day or more or whatever you feel is appropriate..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy,

There was a thread on this topic about 2 months ago which you can find with a search. But here is a brief summary:

1. For a 21 day hunt in Tanzania, some forumites suggested tipping US$5,000.00

2. For a dangerous game hunt in general, other forumites suggested tipping either 10% of the daily rate or $100/day to the PH, whichever you are more comfortable with.

3. Unless you are from Australia, since Australia is not a tipping society, so everyone will understand if you tip less.

4. And New Zealanders are even tighter than Australians, so if you are from New Zealand, you can get away with just leaving your dirty socks behind.

5. Camp staff should get $5/day. The trackers and skinners should get $10/day.

6. Some safari companies underpay staff and trackers, so they depend on your tip to survive.

7. Some forumites said that tipping is an entirely voluntary activity, so tip if you want and tip whatever amount you want.

Also, anything you leave behind will be used and not wasted. Whether it is a hunting knife, boots, shirt, etc.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Craig Boddington recommends 5% of the dailyfor the PH as a good place to start and that is what I use. If you can give more and you want to, then by all means. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
Well i havent been there in 12 years or so but i doubt these men have changed. For the camp staff i also carried clothing items with cash included.British wool sweaters are cheap ( here)and vauable there. Along with these i usualy bought some butcher knifes( here) that the staff ooh'd and ahhd'd over. I have many flashlights,binocs,good sheath knifes,ammo,and two guns over there somewhere. 10% is not to much and usualy you will give him more if its a good hunt and you two hit it off. I have asked before going over if they need any thing from the states, you would be suprised at the answers. Just remember this if you muck your shot up he is the one that will pull your butt from the fire. How much is that worth??. Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Its become a weekly topic now. Roll Eyes

I want to know how much Mark Sullivan tips his trackers. After all they have to put up with a lot, charging buffalo, death from his feet, an American PH.

Also if you hunt with Mark Sullivan, do you have to tip him as an African PH, or an American PH? That really worries me. Frowner

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tipping your PH is a good idea, however if the staff isnt being paid much by the safari company its not your fault. Its absurd to tip the staff the equivalent of six months wages for a ten day safari. Also I have found that most PHs encourage over tipping to the staff to maintain control. Staff tip for a ten day safari shouldnt be more than two or three hundred to be divided as to your PHs recomendations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 500grains:
Cowboy,

3. Unless you are from Australia, since Australia is not a tipping society, so everyone will understand if you tip less.

4. And New Zealanders are even tighter than Australians,QUOTE]

Read poor, and poorer.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hunting Report did a Tipping Survey last year and the conclusion was that there wasn't a customary amount. Tips were all over the place from next to nothing to extravagance.

The thread that was run here a few months ago was very informative, in my opinion, and there were several well thought suggestions.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing puts my hand back into my pocket faster than someone's hand sticking out!
Tipping is my way of rewarding good service not paying the companies help.
Someone merely does their job that is fine that is what they are paid for, but should they go over and above that I reward the amount I want to give.
* I've had skinners do the worst work in RSA I've ever seen. Ears nearly cut to ribbons ,holes all over the capes etc. BEFORE the trip was over and the tipping done.....how on earth did they think they deserved a tip at all with work like that is beyong me!
I've also had camp staff treat me like I was a king, and rewarded them nicely.
I'm one American that resents being told a safari costs "X" amt plus tips. I tell the agent at booking forget the preconcieved notion of my tipping to pay the help, I will distribute what I want,when I want. If the agent balks at that I find another.

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Almostacowboy,

You’d better ask the outfitter and the PH. Yes, even the PH will tell you what is the minimum tip for him. Then it’s up to You to act generously or not.
I never mess with the crew up. I give the camp staff and the hunting team what the PH tells me to give. Not more. I was many times explained that if we spoil the staff in overtipping them, they’ll get more and more greedy ......and more and more deceived.
This year when I shot a lion I was so happy I promised wonderful tips to the staff. What was the result?
During the night they drank, they quarelled (lucky without machettes). In the morning my wannabe guide was drunk and was sacked. The lorydriver on his way to the town to restock the camp destroyed the lorry (and we feared to be short of beer).

In the end of 2 hunting weeks we gave each PH 1200$ (daily rate 1500$), each member of the hunting team 60$ and the rest of the staff (about 30 persons) 100$.
We gave every member of the hunting team one item of clothing (either shoes or trousers or a shirt or a pull over).
The outfitter told us than the bargain mecca is the closest barroom. There You find “cheaper than dirt†luxurious and pricy binoculars, knives and hunting jackets. All these items had been gifts from clients the trackers or gunbearers exchanged for booze. That’s why we are never giving more than one item of ordinary clothing.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Here's our Recent Discussion on Tipping

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Maybe it's time for another FAQ. Big Grin

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Steve,

In the subsequent posts following the Tips & Packig List topic in the Hunting Reports - Africa forum, I have added several links to previous discussions we have had (such as insurance and the tipping topic).

That way, new members and others should be able to access topics of general interest through the links to those previous topics.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Terry,

As usual your ahead of us.

Thanks for all the efforts!!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Dave thumb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tipping camp staff too much could be a big problem. Ask you PH. Some of these remote area, if you tip them with US currency, they may have to trade it on the black market. If you tip them too much, they will begin to expect this from all foreigners.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote