Find
Notify
Tools

A most remarkable man
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
As I approach my late fifties in my hands I feel a twinge of arthritis, my back reminds me of a motorcycle accident and I have to make an effort to remain fit.

When I took on Munyamadzi some 15 years ago the previous PH had tried to retire a frail-looking elderly tracker named Eliam and I tended to agree that he had seen the best of his days however he had much knowledge of the area and the movements of game so we kept him on.

I well remember Thor Kirchner and I were hunting with a client up in some hill country for Buff and took a great bull at dusk. Due to the humidity, we caped it out by firelight and had to carry it out. I was somewhat surprised to see Eliam step forward to help carry the oversized head which is something I doubt I could have done then. Incredibly he maneuvered the rocky incline in the dark to the vehicle without resting or pause. An amazing feat for an elderly man.

I then noticed when hunting he was first from the car and first to hang a bait. That his energy and strength seemed limitless.

When Thor took over the project I simply presumed that Eliam would be retired but now and again when I returned to hunt there was Eliam at the forefront again. I thought he was about 75 when I first met him and God only knows his true age.

Today he is still the head tracker and still the first to undertake arduous chores. Never have I come across such a tenacious and hard individual. He can out walk us all in stifling heat without the need of food or water.

Now and again you come across remarkable men and this is one that I was privileged to have met.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame, That is an impressive story. Eliam must be a mighty little man.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice tribute. Well done.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
Please thank Eliam for the inspiration.Nice picture,BTW.It's great to be a hunter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impressive indeed.. tu2

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice tribute
bb

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s impressive!

Imagine if the general population had that kind of attitude, that kind of work ethic.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel like a wimp compared to him....

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great tribute, God bless Eliam.It's funny how I remember every tracker, and their names.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Excellent - sounds like a man worth knowing.

Stories like this are why our modern-world hyperfocus on age and expectations are ridiculous. Just keep on keeping on.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Just proves us old people do have value. Rock on Mr. Eliam!

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One has to admire a man like that.

Such noble character!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hear hear!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing and inspiring! What a stud!

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eliam, is indeed a remarkable man. He is still working for us. I have never met a man as dedicated to anti-poaching as Eliam is.
He wants to retire at the end of this year, but then again he has been saying so the past 3 years.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 313 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this one, fairgame. Every once in awhile I get to feeling old. And then I realize that most who can't do the stuff I do at my age have not made it to my age (LOL). Hopefully Eliam has more good years ahead of him.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Don't let him retire Thor. He'll be dead in a few months if he doesn't have anything to look forward to and to do. Keep him going in some form or fashion for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice to hear about people like that! Gives us all something to aspire to.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Remarkable, indeed. A true inspiration.

Bravo, Eliam!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it. Was it Satchel Paige who said how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were? Always thought those were words to live by.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
..."Don't let the old man in."

Ol' Satch knew of what he spoke.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
One cool, hale and hearty dude!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Sounds like it. Was it Satchel Paige who said how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were? Always thought those were words to live by.

Satchel Paige was a fount of wisdom. He also said: "Never look back. Something might be gaining on you."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mzee for sure!

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

And I imagine he is humble as the day is long as well.

Great tale Andrew and all to often we - especially on the client side - forget that there is a lot more to the whole show than the client and the PH. Men like him in the quiet background that contribute a great deal to keeping the wheels on and rolling!

Thanks for posting.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote