New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there ever too many buff!!!?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see an interesting topic from Charlie with whom I have immensely enjoyed hunting with in the past, asking about buffalo numbers which really got me thinking.

I may have a warped view on this due to hunting for 20 odd years as a ph but I am at the point where when you are seeing unlimited buff (or any other animal for that matter) the challenge of the hunt is gone and it becomes solely about which animal you will kill. No doubt with the numbers you will end up with a world class trophy if thats what you have decided however does this boil down to a great hunt?

For me the ideal hunting area should have good game numbers where by you have an opportunity every day to turn down one set of tracks and know that there will be another set to follow.

In my career I have only shot 1 trophy elephant bull where we saw it from the cruiser and did a stalk and shot it. It was my worst hunt hands down.

Personally as a PH ,who obviously is not doing the shooting and if I was to selfishly admit it the hunt is 90% about tracking an animal and getting in a position to shoot it or turn it down.

Talking of Charlie his buffalo hunt rates as one of my favourite buff hunts to date- 3 days we tracked the same old dugga boy with out seeing another buffalo. Leaving the track at sun down and picking up at first light! Getting him was for me what a buffalo hunt should be!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
BONKERS!

One cannot see too many buffalo.

One cannot hunt too many buffalo.

One cannot shoot too many buffalo.

I have been hunting them for almost 40 years.

I thought I would get tired of it, sadly, that has not happened.

And if I live for another 40 years, I will keep on trying! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Very happy to come in on this and 100% with Buzz on this. That buff hunt was unique - three days on a set of tracks morning to last light and one day we walked 14 kms. A true old warrior that kept the wind on his tail the whole time. I would do that hunt again tomorrow !!

The question I asked about where to go for lots of buff came from Anja who is keen to hunt buff and would like to see big numbers vs chasing sole old dagga boys.

All our hunts to date have been single bulls or small groups and I am thinking that looking at big numbers and being amongst big herd would also be interesting.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
the hunt is 90% about tracking an animal and getting in a position to shoot it or turn it down.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly many so Called Hunters want Cheap Hunts where the can turn Down multiply Buffalos on a Trip to find the Right one.
Accomodations and Food are much more important nowadays than a true Safari Experience.
South Africa for Example can deliver it ALL and PERFECTLY

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed- like you I LOVE seeing buff the more the better BUT spotting a buff from the cruiser getting off and shooting it- can you say you hunted that buff?

I chatted in depth to Ivan Carter about elephant hunting in Botswana on behalf of a client who wanted a big ele. Ivan said that while you can track one big bull and catch it it did not make sense as you can drive all day and see 50 bulls and as a result law of averages means that that " type of hunt" resulted in a bigger trophy.

My client decided to go to Kazuma where we tracked on foot and looked at 200 bulls in 15 days and got a nice trophy ( I am sure smaller then we would have got in Bots) but we conducted the hunt in the way we enjoyed.

Note I am not saying one is right and one is wrong- its just a personal choice!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Buzz: it is the hunt that matters whether you are looking for a big bull or, as I prefer, the oldest bull in the concession. I would rather hunt 10 days and not get a bull than do a "drive by" on a 45 incher.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to hunt old beat up buffalo, three years ago in Dande North Myles and I hunted one broken horned bull for five days, last day we hunted him we were 16 km from the truck. I saw lots of buffalo, could have shot a bull first morning after about a half mile walk...not what I wanted to do. But, I'm like Saeed in that I like to hunt them and will do it as long as I'm able.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
I see an interesting topic from Charlie with whom I have immensely enjoyed hunting with in the past, asking about buffalo numbers which really got me thinking.

I may have a warped view on this due to hunting for 20 odd years as a ph but I am at the point where when you are seeing unlimited buff (or any other animal for that matter) the challenge of the hunt is gone and it becomes solely about which animal you will kill. No doubt with the numbers you will end up with a world class trophy if thats what you have decided however does this boil down to a great hunt?

For me the ideal hunting area should have good game numbers where by you have an opportunity every day to turn down one set of tracks and know that there will be another set to follow.

In my career I have only shot 1 trophy elephant bull where we saw it from the cruiser and did a stalk and shot it. It was my worst hunt hands down.

Personally as a PH ,who obviously is not doing the shooting and if I was to selfishly admit it the hunt is 90% about tracking an animal and getting in a position to shoot it or turn it down.

Talking of Charlie his buffalo hunt rates as one of my favourite buff hunts to date- 3 days we tracked the same old dugga boy with out seeing another buffalo. Leaving the track at sun down and picking up at first light! Getting him was for me what a buffalo hunt should be!

^^^THIS^^^

This right here, is exactly why I continue going back with Buzz. It's also the reason my weapon of choice is not a scoped 375 but rather an open sighted big bore, preferably a double rifle.

I don't ever want to see a big buff while driving then just get off the truck and shoot it. I want to hunt. I want to participate in the tracking exercise. I want the hunt to last for days. I want there to be ups and downs. I want to be tired at the end of the day from long miles put in on the trail, looking forward to what tomorrow brings while sitting around the campfire making a plan to find them again in the morning.

That's my idea of a safari. YMMV however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like being an opportunist...just like all predators. Do it enough times, and I promise you'll earn plenty of em!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:

^^^THIS^^^

This right here, is exactly why I continue going back with Buzz. It's also the reason my weapon of choice is not a scoped 375 but rather an open sighted big bore, preferably a double rifle.

I don't ever want to see a big buff while driving then just get off the truck and shoot it. I want to hunt. I want to participate in the tracking exercise. I want the hunt to last for days. I want there to be ups and downs. I want to be tired at the end of the day from long miles put in on the trail, looking forward to what tomorrow brings while sitting around the campfire making a plan to find them again in the morning.

That's my idea of a safari. YMMV however.

Yup.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
I like being an opportunist...just like all predators. Do it enough times, and I promise you'll earn plenty of em!

A true hunter!

Non of those “I only shoot them when my barrel is two inches from them” bullshit!

How do the lions hunt?

How do leopards hunt?

Oh, I forgot.

They have lots of silly bits to worry about like “ethics!” clap

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
What Buzz describes is those hot valley nomads that walk for bloody miles.

Hunting buff in open savannah as the Kafue is never really much of a walk as they are coming to the river and we know where the buffalo rest up. Good hunting but not that challenging.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...having been on my first buff hunt in 2019 in Matetsi, I wanted to see a LOT of buff because I wanted to make sure I got one.

Now that I HAVE one, I can be down with seeing just a few...

BTW, having been to africa twice now - and passing on a nice waterbuck the first time around for some reason, and then passing on several nice ones in '19 as we were stalking and didn't want to screw things up - I STILL don't have a waterbuck. So seeing a lot....it's a good thing sometimes.

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On Buff hunts, I'd rather pass on the herds. If you find the tracks of 1-3 lone bulls, you know that at the end of the stalk you'll have a trophy, because if he's lived long enough to become worn down and gray, and a herd outcast, he's a trophy in my book.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
On Buff hunts, I'd rather pass on the herds. If you find the tracks of 1-3 lone bulls, you know that at the end of the stalk you'll have a trophy, because if he's lived long enough to become worn down and gray, and a herd outcast, he's a trophy in my book.

Yep. And you know at the end of that trail, you're more than likely dealing with a crafty old bull that's going to require some skill and luck to get a shot at!

That's the experience I like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think what Buzz is trying to say is you appreciate a trophy much more if you hunt hard for it. I think it applies to any hunt not just buffalo. Which is why I always say 1 mountain trophy is worth 10 African plains game animals....!

I was with a client in the Bubye one time and he shot 50 odd animals, including lion, leopard, buff etc. but it was not much fun with the plains game I have to admit.

But one still hopes to hunt an area where you will have multiple chances at game during the course of your hunt.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
The old "there's only one true way to hunt a buffalo, my way" thread reappears! I am sure the "what dictates a trophy buffalo" thread will follow shortly. Then the "what one gun" thread and so on, ad nauseum...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
The old "there's only one true way to hunt a buffalo, my way" thread reappears! I am sure the "what dictates a trophy buffalo" thread will follow shortly. Then the "what one gun" thread and so on, ad nauseum...

Yep! tu2 clap rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My preferred hunting is walking and tracking. The harder the better.

I have hunted a lot of buffalo. More than most. I have taken some after extremely difficult, long tracking jobs in extreme heat . My personal most memorable was an imminently average 38 inches. Long story. Let me summarize by saying we follows them well over 12 miles in extreme heat. I sorted him out 100% on my own.

Occasionally, but rarely , a true giant shows himself where it is not physically difficult. I always view this as the hunting gods giving me an easy one to make up for all those difficult bulls. I have no problem with those . One notable bull was 5 minutes out of the camp on the first day of the hunt . 46.5. Not a problem to me the same way that failure after walking 12 miles was not a problem.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember way back when when I went on my first safari... how conceited I was and discussing with my PH how I wanted to “properly” hunt buffalo.

Now, it’s shotluck... if it comes easy, wonderful... if it’s a long stalk that is blown, wonderful. Chasing buffalo is the the goal in itself.

I’ve not hunted them as much as Saeed (who has?), but like him, I can’t see ever getting tired of it!

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
When the hunting gods give you a gift you take it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
I think what Buzz is trying to say is you appreciate a trophy much more if you hunt hard for it. I think it applies to any hunt not just buffalo. Which is why I always say 1 mountain trophy is worth 10 African plains game animals....!

I was with a client in the Bubye one time and he shot 50 odd animals, including lion, leopard, buff etc. but it was not much fun with the plains game I have to admit.

But one still hopes to hunt an area where you will have multiple chances at game during the course of your hunt.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Yes, Ruark write two articles once, one was called “Collected but not Earned,” the other “Earned but not Collected.” Idea seems to apply...0

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
When the hunting gods give you a gift you take it.

Exactly!

That is why it is called HUNTING.

You never know what might come next!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I've never hunted Africa.
I have covered the miles for elk.
Sometimes tag soup, now and then I got one.

Now that my legs are shot and it's a struggle
to walk 30 feet to the pisser several times a
day. I'd be tickled to step out of the truck
for an easy shot. The way it looks now, I'll
never get back to hunting again no matter
where or how easy it is.

Best wishes guys, enjoy it while you can, I sure
did.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Although I've never hunted Africa.
I have covered the miles for elk.
Sometimes tag soup, now and then I got one.

Now that my legs are shot and it's a struggle
to walk 30 feet to the pisser several times a
day. I'd be tickled to step out of the truck
for an easy shot. The way it looks now, I'll
never get back to hunting again no matter
where or how easy it is.

Best wishes guys, enjoy it while you can, I sure
did.

George

Well mate we will have to porter you.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Talking of Charlie his buffalo hunt rates as one of my favourite buff hunts to date- 3 days we tracked the same old dugga boy with out seeing another buffalo. Leaving the track at sun down and picking up at first light! Getting him was for me what a buffalo hunt should be![/QUOTE]

If my hunt with CM Safaris is anything like this in 2022 I will be a very happy man. My client and I have been discussing how we want to hunt and tracking lone bulls or groups of Dugga Boys is what we want to do.

Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
+44 (0) 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Facebook – Mike Taylor Sporting
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been on safaris where you would see over a 1000 buff in a day and safaris where you might not even see a buff track in a day and loved every minute of it.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Like hunting buffalo so much, I designed a special cartridge and built a rifle just for buffalo.

Where I can shoot one at 5 yards or 400 yards!

Works like a charm.

And as an added bonus, it kills every else too, big or small, short or tall, close or far! clap

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:

At least we are talking about hunting again and not politics, which has unfortunately become the main focus of this forum lately!

Smiler

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
I've been on safaris where you would see over a 1000 buff in a day and safaris where you might not even see a buff track in a day and loved every minute of it.

tu2

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

tu2

Isn’t this what hunting is all about!

You take it as it comes??

Without setting up your own conditions to suit your ego??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my first buffalo 26 years ago. It was an especially dry year and there were only two water sources left in the concession. For 4 days we picked up the same buffalo's track from one or the other of the waterholes. We knew it was the same buffalo because he made an odd track. We found out later he had a deformed foot from an earlier injury caused by a snare thus the odd track.

That buffalo hunt had all the elements you'd ever want with long days of tracking, blown opportunities and Sadie even found the track when the trackers had lost it for 20 minutes. We also had a very tense confrontation in the thick bush with the buffalo getting away. Later the PH took a very close charge giving him quite a fright. He could hardly light his cigarette with his trembling hands after that. Following the charge I made a raking kill shot as the buffalo was running away. I'll probably never be able to duplicate that one.

No buffalo hunt since has come close to that experience. These days I'm much more interested in hunting some species I've never taken before in a new area I've not seen before.

To the question Buzz asked I too like to see lots of buffalo in big herds but hunting those herds is not my cup of tea. To me sorting out a shootable bull from a moving mass of black is just work. So in the case of hunting herds there definitely can be too many buffalo.

The above is just my preference and I'm not at all saying this is how "IT" should be done.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

tu2

Without setting up your own conditions to suit your ego ??

I'm not sure what the ego comment is about. For me, ego's got nothing to do the way I like to hunt buffalo. I've said it before, for me, I just don't want the hunt to be over on the first day, so I restrict my method of hunt to an open sighted big bore, knowing a scoped 375 provides additional opportunities that I have to pass on with the DR.

Most of the time while on safari, I'm funded for 1 buffalo so if I pop one on the first day at 200 yards, I'm done except for plains game, of which I pretty much have all I want. I suppose I could then go fishing!!

Frowner

That's exactly what happened on my first brown bear hunt in Russia in 2007. There are so many bears over there you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bear. I shot my bear 2 hours after arriving in camp on the first day of a 7 day hunt. So yes, I got my bear. Successful ... from that stand point. But I spent the remainder of the week in camp, twiddling my thumbs, bored out of my mind, while the other guys went out hunting each day.

I'm certainly not against taking what the hunting gods offer, regardless of the day, but I do know which experiences have been more fulfilling and enjoyable to me. That bear hunt wasn't one of them as it was over too quickly, especially after the amount of travel it took to get there.

On the other hand, my 2011 leopard hunt with Buzz was finally successful on day 13 of a 14 day hunt, my 2013 elephant bull hunt was successful on day 11 of a 12 day hunt, and my 2012 lion hunt was successful on day 15 of an 18 day hunt. In 2008 with Buzz, I turned down a small but old buff bull on day 5 of a 10 day hunt, hoping for something a little better. It was the last shot opportunity I had on that hunt so I went home without a bull.
But we hunted 10 full days and I had a blast!! Last year with Buzz's outfit again, I had 2 buffalo available since my son had to cancel at the last minute. I took one on day 3 and the other on day 9 of a 10 day hunt. My memory of the hunt is more focused on the 9 day bull than the 3rd day bull, mainly because we put more effort and time into him.

If I can manage to afford more than one per safari in the future, that's certainly the way to go. But if it's one and done, I want to the hunt to last a bit. No ego involved at all.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
No reason to kick dust in the face of gift horses.

Hunting is expensive, and you kind of like to get what you pay for in terms of a required effort.

In February I hunted aoudad in West Texas on a 500,000 acre ranch. Could have killed a 32 inch ram the first 1/4 mile into the trail ride. Guide wanted me to look around a bit.

Killed a 28 inch ram after killing ourselves 3 days later.

Sometimes you have to know when to kill something.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes you have to know when to kill something.

Yes indeed. tu2 tu2 Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

tu2

Without setting up your own conditions to suit your ego ??

I'm not sure what the ego comment is about. For me, ego's got nothing to do the way I like to hunt buffalo. I've said it before, for me, I just don't want the hunt to be over on the first day, so I restrict my method of hunt to an open sighted big bore, knowing a scoped 375 provides additional opportunities that I have to pass on with the DR.

Most of the time while on safari, I'm funded for 1 buffalo so if I pop one on the first day at 200 yards, I'm done except for plains game, of which I pretty much have all I want. I suppose I could then go fishing!!

Frowner

That's exactly what happened on my first brown bear hunt in Russia in 2007. There are so many bears over there you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bear. I shot my bear 2 hours after arriving in camp on the first day of a 7 day hunt. So yes, I got my bear. Successful ... from that stand point. But I spent the remainder of the week in camp, twiddling my thumbs, bored out of my mind, while the other guys went out hunting each day.

I'm certainly not against taking what the hunting gods offer, regardless of the day, but I do know which experiences have been more fulfilling and enjoyable to me. That bear hunt wasn't one of them as it was over too quickly, especially after the amount of travel it took to get there.

On the other hand, my 2011 leopard hunt with Buzz was finally successful on day 13 of a 14 day hunt, my 2013 elephant bull hunt was successful on day 11 of a 12 day hunt, and my 2012 lion hunt was successful on day 15 of an 18 day hunt. In 2008 with Buzz, I turned down a small but old buff bull on day 5 of a 10 day hunt, hoping for something a little better. It was the last shot opportunity I had on that hunt so I went home without a bull.
But we hunted 10 full days and I had a blast!! Last year with Buzz's outfit again, I had 2 buffalo available since my son had to cancel at the last minute. I took one on day 3 and the other on day 9 of a 10 day hunt. My memory of the hunt is more focused on the 9 day bull than the 3rd day bull, mainly because we put more effort and time into him.

If I can manage to afford more than one per safari in the future, that's certainly the way to go. But if it's one and done, I want to the hunt to last a bit. No ego involved at all.

I know what you are saying but when hunting Buff you should have far more hunting opportunities than one.

Hence there has to be a good buff population to get your money's worth.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

I know what you are saying but when hunting Buff you should have far more hunting opportunities than one.

I never said I only had one opportunity. Never said there wasn't a good population of buff.

I said I turned down a bull on day 5 and didn't get another opportunity on a buff bull before the hunt was over but that's only because I was hunting with an open sighted double rifle and we had other animals to pursue. I had plenty of opportunities to shoot a bull if I had decided to switch to my other rifle, a scoped 375. In my case, I was having too much fun participating in tracking, finding bulls, and trying to stalk into a position to get a good close range shot. We just kept getting busted by the wind or other animals in the group.

Day 6 or 7, I don't remember exactly, Rich Tabor and I watched a huge herd of buff walk across a field about 150 to 200 yards away. There were probably 7 or 8 good shootable bulls in that herd. Neither he nor I ever mentioned swapping rifles. Instead, we made a plan to get out in front of them. Just didn't work out. We had several similar opportunities as well.

I could have knocked one over pretty much every day with the 375. So I went home without a buff bull that trip and was still very satisfied. I took a nice sable and tuskless on that hunt, as well as an old buff cow that they had been trying to get a shot at for some time and was the last one on quota for the year, the hunt being late October.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

I never said I only had one opportunity. Never said there wasn't a good population of buff.

I said I turned down a bull on day 5 and didn't get another opportunity on a buff bull before the hunt was over but that's only because I was hunting with an open sighted double rifle and we had other animals to pursue. I had plenty of opportunities to shoot a bull if I had decided to switch to my other rifle, a scoped 375. In my case, I was having too much fun participating in tracking, finding bulls, and trying to stalk into a position to get a good close range shot. We just kept getting busted by the wind or other animals in the group.

I could have knocked one over pretty much every day with the 375. So I went home without a buff bull that trip and was still very satisfied. I took a nice sable and tuskless on that hunt, as well as an old buff cow that they had been trying to get a shot at for some time and was the last one on quota for the year, the hunt being late October.

Understand and I have done a few hunts with doubles and makes for a different experience.

My last safari was with a Wesley Richards .450
and it proved to be very versatile. My hunter took an amazing running shot on a bushbuck that could not have been executed with a scoped rifle. Being close with your quarry is an exhilarating experience and closing that distance to a few yards is very fine hunting.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love hunting buffalo and that's why I love Tanzania. Historically, you had 3 on license, now 4. You can shoot a good one and you're not done. You can look for better.

Also, if you're hunting cats, you can save one to look for a good buffalo instead of just shooting every old bull for bait.

I love tracking. It's a hoot. I like hunting dagga boys, as some have stated is their preference. I like hunting herds too, although not my favorite. But have had some fun doing it and shot one very nice bull out of a herd he shouldn't have been in.

I've hunted where we drove for miles looking for tracks and where there were so many buffalo that you couldn't even complete a stalk on a buffalo you'd spotted without running into other buffalo. I love it all.

And, I generally take what Artemis offers.

That said, back in 2008 in the Selous, I did walk away from an old smooth bossed buffalo that was so close to the gari that it just didn't feel right. We cut tracks that were so smoking hot there was a live and very full tick lying in his tracks. Found the bull within 50-100 yards. About the twin to a bull I already had on that hunt and still had a few days to go, so walked away. Didn't take another buff on that trip.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote