Find
Notify
Tools

Building a AR-15
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
For the last few months my daughter keeps bugging me to get her a gun (her sister has one). I have given in and agreed to make her a 'batman' gun. However, I am at a bit of a loss when it comes to all things AR. Before I shell out a bunch of cash, I thought I would get some expert opinions to help steer me away from any pitfalls a complete noob like me might encounter. I guess the three main concerns I have at the moment are:

Skeletonized Receiver- My daughter likes them because they look cool but I am concerned that a whole bunch of crap will fall in and gum things up. Keep in mind that that this will be a hunting rifle and will be exposed to all of Wisconsin's winter fury.

Lantac/side charger- Call me crazy but I actually like the idea of a 'bolt action' ar, especially with a younger shooter. Or is this just a gimmick, inviting more problems then its worth?

Carbine/rifle/Intermediate length gas system- I honestly cant make heads or tails of this, though I don't think it makes a difference if I am blocking off the gas system anyway. Does this affect the handguard length? All I know is that I am planning on a 16'' barrel chambered in .277 wolverine.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to build a single shot AR, buy the cheapest mill spec lower you can find. The bbl you chose will have the gas port drilled at a certain point that will determine gas tube & handguard length .???? Lots better options out there for a single shot than a AR platform tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lots of options; if you are serious about this, PM me and give me your phone number. Otherwise, it would be a book I would have to write here.
ARs are Barbie Dolls for men; literally hundreds of add on options, most are just for fashion and looks. Few actually improve performance. Just like the doll.

Posts: 17107 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6388 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote