New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-14 and AccuStrut
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a like new Ruger Mini-14, unfired, in the box that was modified by Accuracy Systems. They added their barrel strut and recoil buffer. I haven’t had time to make it to the range yet. Have any of you seen this setup before and does it actually improve accuracy?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 928 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
I put a strut on my Mini 30 2 years ago. It shrank my groups by about 50%.
It was another company's strut and I don't use an aftermarket buffer.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Maybe that's the ticket. I got rid of my mini 14 in the late 70s because the accuracy was so bad.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starting with the 580 series, Ruger supposedly improved the accuracy on their Mini-14’s, primarily with a heavier barrel. This is my first so I have nothing to judge it by, other than internet threads.

At 50 yards I was able to keep a two inch group with iron sights. I’m sure others could do better than these 72 year old eyes. Really was just shooting to break it in and check functionality.

It’s all broke down now for inspection and cleaning. Found it had two recoil buffers on the receiver end (Wilson 45ACP type) of the recoil spring. One was already split into. I use these in my Kimber with no issues, but not sure if they are needed on the Mini. I kind of like the idea, but I’m looking at my options.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 928 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'll be curious to see what you can do with better sights and handloads your 14 likes. The accuracy issues have kept me from buying one all these years.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Mike, I'll be curious to see what you can do with better sights and handloads your 14 likes. The accuracy issues have kept me from buying one all these years.

I have had access and shot around 20 Mini's over the years.

The major problems with them were their front sights.

Hard to get small groups with something that covers a huge portion of the target.

Another is most people use bulk 55fmjs in them not the most accurate ammo.

First thing I would do is change the front sight out for a M14 style.

Most then would group cheap 55fmj's into 2 inches at 100.

Not bad for a battle rifle. People forget the Garand was spec. Out as a 4 inch rifle.

Scoped ranch rifles with good ammo will do under 1.5 and lots of times under 1.

Only had one Mini that was horrible wouldn't do 8 inches at 50.

Ruger replaced the barrel and it became a sub 2 inch rifle.

If the SHITF I would be torn between grabbing my Mini14 ranch and one of my AR's.

Posts: 19293 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I would still go with my M1A. per your last statement. As to the Mini V/S the M1 Garand; I worked on my Garand + floated the bbl. + removed wood so it was a real tack driver. I never took that much interest in the mini 14 so maybe it did have potential but I never worked on it to get better performance. I did think + still do that the front sight was a problem.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I worked on my Garand + floated the bbl. + removed wood so it was a real tack driver.

That is what it takes

What size groups did your Garand shoot before you worked on it.

Posts: 19293 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
I picked up a like new Ruger Mini-14, unfired, in the box that was modified by Accuracy Systems. They added their barrel strut and recoil buffer. I haven’t had time to make it to the range yet. Have any of you seen this setup before and does it actually improve accuracy?

I have one on my mini-30 and it works well. I bought a new mini 14 recently and it shot minute of a pie plate groups with 55 gr rounds and 62 gr green tips. I put an accu-strut on it according to factory specs and it did not help, I did not attempt to vary the distances on the accu-strut to improve harmonics. my gunsmith was willing to try but I just sold the rifle. I think if Accuracy Systems worked on it, you have a keeper. I like the mini 14 platform, but all I have knowledge of were dogs. Really do not understand it because my mini 30 is fine.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold my mini-14 a month or so ago. Thought about getting a mini-30, but couldn’t make my mind up between it and a USGI M1 Carbine. My thinking is the 30 carbine will appreciate in value more. It may cost me a few hundred dollars more, but that’s how I’m leaning now.

Besides, I like the 30 caliber better than the 22 caliber, plus I like the history of the carbine more.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net