New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem. m24 sniper rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is this rifle or a variation of it available to the public?

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you check out Remington's web site and go to the LE/Mil section you can see what is offered, but do not believe they will sell to general public?? Price is near $8000.00 last time I checked for the "package" and for that sum of money, can build just about any rifle you would want w/ superior optics as in U.S.Optics, Nightforce or Leupold MK IV's. Interstingly enough, Remington just recently announced a new contract for DOD for rifles and am told they are not using the 700 action in the 338Lapua round and I think they are using a Sako or AI?? Remington made a special run patterned off of the one Carlos Hathcock used and from what I could tell it was a basic 700 w/ walnut stock, parkerized metal, etc. which was available to the general public, but it is not an M24 rifle.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AS64

One of the reasons the Military rifle is so expensive is that the Army wanted a single rifle that could ordered in 308, and be later converted to 300 Win Mag.

As usual the Government got screwed due to their own ignorance and bidding policies, kinda like "them high dollar coffee pots, [remember them?].

It would have been much cheaper to buy both a 308 sniper rifle AND a 300 Win Mag Sniper rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan to be in Oak Ridge, Tn. next week end for 600 and 1000 yard matches and the folks from "school of The Americas..." and others will be there I am told and will be interested in seeing just what they are shooting these days. Can say I enjoy shooting with them for they are generally good folks and shooters. They seem to excel in Service Rifle shooting at 600 w/ their 16's, but civilian shooters will always give them a run for their money at the 1000 yard line. Keep in mind that the rifles used for these match shooters are not suitable for hard service, dragging through sand, mud, muck, etc., but are highly tuned bolt guns w/ pretty much best equipment available. Skills developed through match shooting is easily transferred to other firearms though. As long as these guys are keeping the bad guys off our ass here at home, I do not care what the guns cost. If it were up to me I would give them most of the 700 Billion bucks we just gave Wall Street! Off topic, sorry about that.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didnt Carlos Hathcock use a Winchester Model
70 in 30-06?

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 19Romeo:
Didnt Carlos Hathcock use a Winchester Model
70 in 30-06?

I think Sgt. Hathcock used the heavy barrel pre-64 Model 70 on his first tour. Second tour was a Remington Model 700.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get the same rifling in a 700 SS in .308 R-5 milspec bbl. About $1k. Check out AbleAmmo