New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cerakote for a completed AR build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been bitten by the AR bug. In the process of doing my first build. Intend to have as much of the completed rifle as possible Cerakoted. Any advice on which parts to do/not do and best colors would be appreciated.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
Been bitten by the AR bug. In the process of doing my first build. Intend to have as much of the completed rifle as possible Cerakoted. Any advice on which parts to do/not do and best colors would be appreciated.

I did a stainless bbl in flat black. I don't know(yet) how creakote holds up on Alu.?

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you do not get to much in the pin holes.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice! Thanks.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never figured out why anyone would
want to 'spray paint' their firearms.

It's not very durable.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No but it looks cool and all the closet Rambos who are buying all the ARs now will not be low crawling through the rocks anyway. So go for it. (Sales have surpassed all previous panics)
Now, I recommend doing it yourself instead of spending hundreds of $ on someone else to paint it. That is a big waste of money. It is very easy. I degrease with Xylene and media blasting is best but not essential. The base metal is immaterial; steel, aluminum, zinc, lead, doesn't matter.
I use a lot of FDE, OD, and flat black. FDE is my favorite. and OD.
Pin holes? Don't worry about them; it ain't that thick and will make the pins fit better anyway.
Go to Brownells and get Duracoat or Alumahyde; they are air cure so you have to let them sit for a few days.
Paint away; do not be afraid. I do it all the time. I even coat custom Mausers FDE; the shame!

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Never figured out why anyone would
want to 'spray paint' their firearms.

It's not very durable.

George

If done correctly its just as durable as any thing else. I have a bunch of mauser's done in KG gunkote in 2002 - 2005 that have been hunted hard in wet weather with Zero issues. Do that with blued steel?

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The reason people think paint is not durable is because when they drop them on a rock they all will chip whereas a blued rifle will just get a nick. But in bad weather the paint wins every time.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've painted a few rifles----Rustolium----holds up great except at the muzzle where the cleaning solvents drip ! Prime with Flat Black then use a Semi-Gloss or other paint of your choice !

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Pictures people, pictures! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
RRA X1 5.56 with custom freehand camo Cerakote. Barrel and controls are black Cerakote.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Penetrater
posted Hide Post
That looks Great,,Thanks for Posting I am building a house but I really need to build one , after reading and seeing this I Belive Cerakote is something to think about , love the suttle camo part , looks great and would allso help to hide any wear and rough handling over time .

Posts: 131 | Location: oklahoma city ,oklahoma ,usa | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice! tu2 Looks outstanding! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice job,

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote