THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    What is best brand of low price Ar15 80% lower and low price jig?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is best brand of low price Ar15 80% lower and low price jig?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Title says it all. I would prefer 7075. Thanks for the advise.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably won't find any 80% lowers in 7075.
AR15 lowers are so cheap it isn't worth the effort to mess with an 80% for me at least. Consider that what you will get is something in the white that is not hard anodized. You will have to set up and drill the holes and finish it out so for me at least it just isn't worth it.

Palmetto State has lowers that are reasonable and so does Aero Precision. There are many brands floating around. You will probably get a better deal on a complete lower unless you want to get specific trigger, pins, etc.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most folks don’t build 80% lowers because they are cheap.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Most folks don’t build 80% lowers because they are cheap.

Big Grin

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I've done an 80percent arms (6061) lower and either Brownells or Midway store brand lower (7075, but looks like they're both currently out of stock). I used the 80percent arms Easy jig and liked it. Easier than using the mill. 80percent runs a promotion for the jig with a free lower. It's unfinished. I'd cheat and pay the extra $10 for the pre-anodized ones, unless it's the free one.

There was another jigs I thought that might have been better or handled AR10's as well as AR15's, but setup of the various cuts required too many changes and was going to take too long.

Went with low cost lower parts kits. All good except trigger required fitting and is still not very good.

Not sure if 6061 is much different from 7075. Did them months apart. The 7075 one was pre anodized (obviously not interior where you're going to cut) so it looks better.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Matt,

I've done an 80percent arms (6061) lower and either Brownells or Midway store brand lower (7075, but looks like they're both currently out of stock). I used the 80percent arms Easy jig and liked it. Easier than using the mill. 80percent runs a promotion for the jig with a free lower. It's unfinished. I'd cheat and pay the extra $10 for the pre-anodized ones, unless it's the free one.

There was another jigs I thought that might have been better or handled AR10's as well as AR15's, but setup of the various cuts required too many changes and was going to take too long.

Went with low cost lower parts kits. All good except trigger required fitting and is still not very good.

Not sure if 6061 is much different from 7075. Did them months apart. The 7075 one was pre anodized (obviously not interior where you're going to cut) so it looks better.

Thanks for the advice! I watched a video on utube that said the 7075 required more incremental cuts with 7075, due to the hardness, with their jig and router. While 6061 may be adequate, I’ll go with the tougher option.

Matt
FISH!!