THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Not a Mauser. ....off from the normal but an easy off day project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not a Mauser. ....off from the normal but an easy off day project
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
The fact that it has no Obama numbers is the best part

It is not a better option as per a $$$ saver if you factor in your time and tooling

You are also required to do it yourself.....no hired machinist or buddy that does it for you

.375 dia. hole drill and ream for the selector
.156 dia. hole x2 drill and ream for the fire cotrol group

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fact that it has no Obama numbers is the best part

Just now every body knows that you have it numbers not needed. Did you buy any of the other parts wit a credit card.

More then one way of finding you and what you own

Posts: 19365 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
You obviously missed the point....I'm not trying to hide anything

numbers or not I don't give a shit either way....

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much fun/trouble is it to get the 80%-er anozized? I have heard rumors that the anodizing companies will require a serial number...

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was a fun project and I hear ya on the not caring part. When it's time to bury your guns it's past time to dig them up.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Ted,
How would you rate the difficulty of the machine work. Is a mill required to do the job right? Could you get by with a machinist vice and a quality drill press? I've even heard some claim that they drill out by hand and finish with a file.

Bottom line this is a project I would love to take on, but I am not convinced that it is a true "shade tree" level of work. Your thoughts?

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yep.....getting a lower anodized requires a serial number if you plan on shipping a finished 80%

Some companies will do a face to face I've been told

Anodize is not really required if you use non rotating fire control pins and grease your fire selector

DIY level ?.....for a quality job that is also accurate its a skilled project.....not a 30 minute job to do it accurate and clean

Fire control pins require precise location so the hammer will reset properly as well as allow the safety to work properly

Many a soul in this ol world have drilled and filed out theses pockets with some degree of success but I wouldn't myself

The nylon 80% lower is more simple to cut

FYI.....I did it because I wanted to.....not to hide

Lord knows Uncle Sam already has eyes on me....not worried or loosing any sleep

For cost.....I cant see why anyone would cut one with finished Anderson lowers running $50

Anderson lowers are great lowers