Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand Value
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
Assuming fair to good condition, what would a Korea-era Garand be worth?

Or to put it another way, would $400 be a good buy? Great? Too low; I'd be cheating the owner?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1542 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Seems more than fair,they are usually in the $600 and up range condition dependent.

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
That wouldn't be cheating the owner if it was well used and needed a new barrel.

You weren't looking at the mini-G were you? Wink

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
A late reply, but hopefully not too late.

Garands are going for on average at the shows around her for 800 for a beater on up. (Pirate Dealer prices of course)

If that one gauges good, (throat erosion, muzzle, and Op-rod) then 400 bucks is a steal, 500-600 is a good buy, and over that would be average.. My opinion of course.. I would see what they are going for on gunbroker.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from a friend last year that was Korea reissue for 1K but it also included over 660 rounds in en bloc clips,cased in bandoleirs + in ammo cans.I would give it NRA 98%.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I bought mine from a friend last year that was Korea reissue for 1K but it also included over 660 rounds in en bloc clips,cased in bandoleirs + in ammo cans.I would give it NRA 98%.

define "Korean reissue" for me please, and how do you know it was a repatriated rifle form Korea? Do you have CMP paperwork? Is the barrel stamped "blue sky" or with some other re-importers mark? What is the Throat erosion gauge measurement? How about the op-rod piston? and the muzzle gauge? these three items are far more important and relevant than where it came from, and will drive the price for a knowledgeable buyer.

Additionally, all those little numbers stamped on almost every part (drawing revision numbers) will tell you about when the part changed/upgraded and whether it is the correct part number for the serial number of that particular receiver. The barrel also has a date stamped and it may but usually does not match the receiver date.

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the term "reissue" meaning that it was taken from storage and issued for service during the Korean conflict, not necessarily brought back from that conflict?? I did not know that those Garands stored in South Korea had been brought back for re sale by CMP as of this date, perhaps I am behind the times??

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
As i understand it, the CMP only gets repatriated lend-lease arms. The "Korean garands were brought back by re-importers.. "Blue Sky" being the most well known but there are many others. The name of the re-importer is usually stamped on the barrel and it hurts the value

NRA Benefactor.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Mine is NOT a blue sky or a CMP. The Korean reference was told to me from a Garand collector that knows a helluva lot about them than I do.I believe that his conclusions were due to bbl. stampings.Hes in tight with Charlie Wallace so I tend to believe what he says.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1000. won't buy you one in Canada,even in poor condition. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Mine is NOT a blue sky or a CMP. The Korean reference was told to me from a Garand collector that knows a helluva lot about them than I do.I believe that his conclusions were due to bbl. stampings.Hes in tight with Charlie Wallace so I tend to believe what he says.

Thats a good thing.... He is probably making his assessment either by the receiver serial number, which would allow you to look-up the date of manufacture, and/or the barrel date, visible on the barrel, when the op rod is pulled back. (most have been rebuilt)

So who made yours? SA, IHC, or H&R? I know it isn't a Winchester. All Winchester production stopped instantly once the war ended.Only SA made them for both wars and only IHC and H&R made them post WWII.

NRA Benefactor.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
They sell for $1,000 U.S. in my area in terrible to fair condition. A decent shooter will set you back $1,500 around here if it is WWII/Korea and not the newer .308.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
$400 is a good price for any Garand.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
$400 would be a literal steal, in any condition. Even with a bad barrel. The seller has done no research on prices.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote