New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Deal You Ever Got On A Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was given a cased 4 bore Rodda double rifle.

Posts: 695 | Location: westvirginia | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in a small gun shop recently. They had a NIB Marlin 1894 in .32 H&R Mag for $650. The guy said if I bought it that day he would sell it for $600. Could not get my check book out fast enough. I still have not fired the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Win. M70 Heavy Varmint .223 with a 6-24 scope and a Zastava actioned .220 Swift with a 3-9X scope out the door BOTH for $800.00 with a free range pass ($21.00) tax included!!

Hip

P.S. The .223 came with a Dococil? hard case.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not mine, but my preacher/friend. Kid wanted to trade him Freedom Arms 454 Casull for his SKS, so he said yes.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not one to brag about, but I learned a serious lesson on this "good deal".

I bought what was advertised as a 1951 Rigby "all original" stalking rifle in .275 Rigby. It came with a period correct hard case and the trinkets that go with a hard case. I bought this from a reputable gun company/retailer in New York. I did what I thought was proper research and dipped my toe in the world of older, high dollar rifles.

I got it. It was a bit odd but in good shape. I was reluctant to take it apart and check everything. I sent it to George Cassell at Champlin Firearms.

He did the deep dive on it. He told me it was in fact a 1951 Rigby rifle. However, it was cobbled together from various Rigby made parts starting in 1924. I learned from him that Rigby was hammered during WWII and that they were struggling to sell guns after the war. So, they started gather "spare parts" from their storage areas and parted together rifles, selling them as original Rigby rifles. In fact they were all "original" but from parts gathered up from various locations and time periods.

I then send the rifle to Lon Paul to be "adjusted" to fit me a bit better. After $1000 of work, I got it back and it was not accurate and not what I thought I had bought.

I sold it for 25% of what I paid and considered that a lesson learned that I will never repeat.

Maybe I should start a thread on the "worst deal you ever made", but that would not likely get much traction here....

The lesson? - Never buy something that you are not sure of what it is.....

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could add to that, never buy shoes through the mail. Actually, the worst deals thread might go over big, Heaven knows we have all done it.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My taste in firearms is eclectic, so the guns I buy are not always popular.

I have to admit that I frequently pay more for them than I probably should.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though I'm my own worst enemy on following my own advice, I am guilty of buying guns or other items without thinking of the resale possibilities down the line. A good case in point is that just because you found a great deal on a pink 1962 Cadillac, on selling you have to find another like-minded individual.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy----There is no other person in this world that would buy a PINK 1962 CADILLAC!!!!!
Confused Eeker archer

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hud did.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Elvis do it too or was that just one of his songs?

hip

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Michael and Norman.

I have have done the same.

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I traded a Jennings J22 for a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I even threw in a couple of boxes of ammo.

Posts: 702 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My preacher buddy traded an old SKS for a Freedom Arms 454 Casull. It was the other guys' idea, but Pete said, Hell yes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Holland and Holland 12 bore backaction sidelock ejector for UK Pounds 70 from auction maybe thirty years ago. Sold as "the major parts".

The guy glared at me when I collected the barrels, and action and told him that the locks and all the internal parts were in the small box everyone else had overlooked on the back of the "gun parts shelf" in the saleroom.

One of the porters had put them there rather than with the rest of the gun. And nobody else had, as I used to do, examined every lot in the sale.

Took all to my gunsmith in Price Street, Birmingham and picked the thing up, fully complete, two weeks later. Not a single part was missing from that small box.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
At a gun show in Sheridan Wyoming back in the 80's. On 2nd day I come across a local pawn shop selling a complete/matching G33/40 for $90. Of course I bought it.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
I bought this one a while back.

Well, when I got the rifle in hand .. here's what I found ...

French Brevex Magnum Action
338-378 wildcat caliber
27" Heavy Barrel
11 pounds 11 ounces w/ Weatherby 2-3/4-10 Scope
14-1/4" LOP
Red Pachmayr Presentation Recoil Pad
Flush T-Slot Sling Swivels
2-position Winchester Style Swing Safety
Secondary Forward Barrel-Mounted Recoil Lug
Flawless "Wrap-Around" checkering on both the grip and forend
Looks virtually un-fired - a few tiny stock dings from safe sisters

and .... a Maker's Stamp in the stock ... "GEORGE HOENIG" ... the Famous Master Gunsmith ... and one of the very best builders of Custom Bolt Action Rifles that usually sell for $6,000 to $9,000 ... dancing rotflmo

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Around 1970, as an NRA member, I ordered a GI.45 ACP pistol through the DCM. Although buyers were told the guns might be used, they would be in working condition. Imagine my astonishment when I opened the box to find a brand spanking pristine Colt A1 model! What did it cost? Without searching for the paperwork, I'm not sure whether it was $17 or $19. Bring back the good old days!

Defend the 2A - if you can't fight for your rights you don't have any!

Posts: 66 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just another blind squirrel that finds nuts....

Remington 870TC with spectacular wood $285

Perazzi Mirage with hardcase, tool kit, assorted spare parts, and a spare trigger group. $1750

Mint Pre-64 Winchester M88 in 284 Winchester $625

Pre-64 Winchester M88 in 358 Winchester $850

7x57 Mauser by ACGG member Larry Brace built for is son decades ago, $1500 ready to hunt.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best and first gun deal. I was 12 or 13, fed the neighbors cat for a week. agreement was a dollar a day. The old woman offered me a Winchester 67 in instead of cash. We both thought we got the better of the deal, still have the 67

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years back my brother brings me a Finn modle 39 in 7.62x54r. Sad to say it had been fired with corrosively primed surplus ammo. Shame really as the exterior was and is beautiful. Member on gunboards had a virtually unfired M39 barrel for $160. Bought it but the problem down here is no one wants to work on the old mil-surps. Was referred to a smith in Wisconsin or Michigan who would remove the barrel and install mine.. He send me a bill for $100, so's I called him up and figured he goofed on he price. Smith tells me that included his shop rate and labor and since he didn't have to source a barrel, that was it. So I figure I got my M59 for $300 when all is said and done. Mods if this post does not belong here, please move it wo where it is appropriate. Thanks, Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
more good deals, bought a 10/22 from a cowoker. came with a case, brick of ammo and three 30 rnd mags for $120. This was back in the banned days, took the mags to the next gun show and sold them for $35 each.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting a custom rifle made by Matt Roberts. As to the "deal", the deal is getting a great rifle that shoots lights out!

As to cheap deals, never had a cheap deal that was a good gun. There is always a reason a gun is being sold - needs money, is not accurate, has a problem, is a safe queen (very lame excuse) or just heading a different direction....

I prefer to spend too much and get what I am paying for than paying too little and regretting the deal....

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote