Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any idea on the value of these?
 Login/Join

posted
My grandmother gave me these pistols the other week and I was interested in the value of them. I've done some research and have an idea, but haven't gotten any one to look at my specific guns. The 1911 and New Service are in good working order and a lot of fun to shoot, but I don't plan on shooting the others.

Colt SAA.38 WCF 4 ¾†barrel. Decent condition, some small rust spots.
Pat Sept 19. 1871 July 2, ’72 Jan. 19, ’75
SN: 217,384

Colt 1851 Navy calipered at .36 caliber; some rust on percussion caps and some dings in metal work.
Address Col SamL Colt New York U.S. America
SN: 134,351 (Middle 4th Model)

Smith&Wesson (printed on barrel) look alike…â€Euskaro Revolverâ€. Pearl handle grips.
Made in Spain and sold as a S&W in S. America to unknowing buyers.

Colt .45 Long Colt New Service
Colt’s PTFA MFG CO. Hartford, CT USA
PAT’D Aug 5th, 1884. June 5th 1900. July 4th, 1905
SN:337,364—very good condition

Colt Model 1911 .45ACP
SN: C230736 Governtment Model
Very good condition.

Posts: 27 | Location: TX | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
post on this site sass

The first two will be of interest there! You are very lucky!
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not in my area of expertise, but the values of the first two are in the low thousands range. The fake Smith is worth very little. The New Service in that condition is probably worth in the $500 and up range....and this is just a guess, not based on current research.

Based on a list I have the 1911 was made in late 1947. Since I'm not an "antique" gun guy, I'd hate to be off here, but I think it might be worth a bit of a premium due to age and condition but I'd, again, a guess, put it at about $600.

Even though it is currently an outrageously expensive process, you might consider getting a letter on the first two and maybe the New Service.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gatogordo on the top 3 but I think the bottom 2 are probably worth more. You could put them on GunBroker with a reserve and see what the market determines.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, I've been quotes higher on some of them. The letters seem neat, but at the same time seems like Colt is asking a pretty penny for them...kinda ridiculous.

Posts: 27 | Location: TX | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stoked_C,
I think I'd bite the bullet (pardon the pun) and get a letter on at least the first one. If for nothing else than historical curiousity. In checking Colt's website, they may not be able to letter the 1851 as they report their archives only go to S/N 132,000.
If you do get a letter please post it. I, for one, would really like to hear what Colt has to say that SAA.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
All I can say is, Granny sure loves ya'.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with JohnK007 in that the Colt SA might deserve a letter although I shouldn’t talk since I balked at doing it when they were “only†$50.00. You can always recoup that expense if and when you sell it.
As a side note to you and others: Gun sellers will not show the last three digits of a gun for various security reasons.

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote