New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-War 70 Supergrade value
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Model 70 built in 1946. It is a 30-06. It has the clover leaf tang and Pre-war style safety as would be expected. Bolt handle is polished bright and the stock has seen some rough treatment over the years. Metal is decent but not perfect of course. Stock has also been cut and a pad added. So obviously this one will not make collector grade. Do these earlier rifles in this condition still carry a premium? I have heard that the early guns had better machining. I am trying to decide what to do with this one. Use for a custom build or does that offend the Winchester Gods? Move it along to someone else perhaps? Thanks, JB

Posts: 369 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just love sticking my neck out to value someone else's gun that I have not seen. IMO your gun only has value for the action, stock is worth something to one in need, but not much as described. Pre-war actions tend to bring a small premium, maybe $100-200, talking action price only. Prices are pretty soft, so I would hazard that your action is worth $400-600. I don't think being a Super Grade makes a significant difference since we're talking parts.

Posts: 704 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is about what I was thinking as well. I just didn't want to be missing something. Thanks for the input. JB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would value it for $600, mostly for the action to use on a custom rifle, but about any shootable pre war Win. mod 70 is worth that..Or was I had better add, they have gotten very cheap in Southern Idaho, for some reason, but gun prices are regional for sure..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41726 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Would need to see how "rough" the stock is on it. I don't think I've ever seen a pre-64 model 70 Super grade for less than $1500 either.

Has the rear bridge been drilled to accommodate a scope? If not, that surely adds value.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1946 is not prewar. Restock it and be happy. Or if you'd like I do have a prewar stock that was glassed at the dogknot but unaltered dimensionally that I would sell resonable. Scrape the glass out and drop in your action. Buttplate, sling studs and barrel tie down included.You would have to inlet supergrade swivels.

Posts: 1120 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre-war is a commonly used misnomer. It is normally used to describe Type I actions, which were made into 1947.

Posts: 704 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pre war indicates the clover leaf tang and safety on the left side to many collectors..It is not as desirable for a custom rifle as a later mod 70 pre 64 due to needed changes for a custom gun IMO..

They are very collectable and high dollar in 85 to 100 % condition...Collector guns like coins depend on age and mostly condition, thats confusing to some..Id consider you gun sight unseen as described between $600 and $700.

You will see a lot of folks thinking a rare gun is worth $2000 or more even in piss poor condition because they saw the same gun in 99% sell for that, and that is not the case at all, I see this all the time usually from someone wanting me to value their gun, then get ticked because I didn't value it as a new gun....I just tell them to take it someplace else, they will get a better offer probably! then they come back wanting me to buy it at my estamated value. I always pass at that point..I no longer value someone elses guns for the most part..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41726 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took the advise of buglemintoday. Sold it for $1500. Inflation...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO you did better than good.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes, you did. A few years back I came across a 1945 model 70 in 06. That was a "transitional model", basically one built with parts for the civilian market while Winchester was still transitioning back from war production. That feature was supposedly of more value to a collector but I didn't see much profit over standard but it was a nice rifle.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.I am pleased and likely will put the funds to use on another rifle or shotgun if not a hunt somewhere. The fellow that bought it plans to restore the stock so I am glad it won't be pulled apart for parts.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I compelety understand; even if you don't own it anymore, one hates to see a classic piece of history parted out or destroyed which is much the same thing.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2023 now, and I would value it at $1500 or more and maybe more with a rust blue and refinished stock, how things can change in a few years..Just decent pre 64s are bringing $2000 plus. fwts and magnums bring a premium.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
JUst like gold and silver, value changes year to year. I bought a decent 308 with beautiful factory stock for a grand and sold it for $2500 because of the stock and sold it too quick as I got half a dozen calls offering more..It,s just a crap shoot, $ $1500 is a fair price this year and magnums 70 fetch twice that depending on caliber..
300H&H, 375 H&H,and 264s, are good items to own these day

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120