New
Find
Notify
Tools

guidance on Winchester Super Grade
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is a reasonable price to pay for a a 1955 Model 70 super grade in 300 H&H. It is a private sale. The rifle is in very good shape with a couple handling marks but other wise as it left the factory.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1225 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
$2250 and up depends on condition and how you feel about the overall condition,Near Mint to Mint will be in the $3500 and up. My .02

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite style Super Grade! The rifle should have a jeweled bolt body/extractor, and follower the barrel should be rust blue, and under barrel marked SG or Super. Gold front bead sight was standard. high monte carlo stock with steel butt plate. The .300 H&H Mag came with a 26 inch barrel. An excellent example if correct would be plus $4,000.00. Any distraction as a recoil pad would lower the price. By the way the Pre 64 Model 70 rifle chambered in the .300 H&H Magnum are the most accurate rifles that I have shot. Many others have found this true as well.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses sure wish I knew how to post pictures.

I took it out of the stock and the barrel is marked underneath 300 magnum.

The under barrel is stamped S

The bolt and follower are jeweled.

Barrel is 26 inches.

The recoil lug is stamped 55 and the serial number indicates 1955 production.

It has a steel butt plate.

The bolt is R stamped on the bottom.

The sights have been removed and the dove tails filled with Stith blanks.

The bolt knob is hollow and has very fine circumferential checkering.

condition??? I am not a collector so I do not know how to grade. That said to me the rifle looks like it just left the factory with the exception of two very small very shallow impressions on the stock.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that you described a very desirable Model 70 Super Grade in .300 H&H Magnum. The rear sight would be a Lyman 16b. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Yes all this has been very helpful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Original Model 70 Super Grades never had checkered bolt knobs. Ones like this with checkering on the knob are not original and lose a lot of value as a result. Also, the 55 stamping on the recoil lug is not original. If it denotes the year of manufacture it should be on the underside of the barrel along with the 300 Mag stamp. Some (not all) Super Grades from 1955 has an S stamp on the bottom of the recoil lug. Also, the bolt should have the serial number etched on it not just a stamped R.
All in all, with some non-original features and missing sights it's not a collectible Super Grade--but a nice rifle nevertheless. Value? Hard to say. Once they are not original they're hard to price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As always vivamb is spot on. Everything that he stated would be correct for an original Model 70 Super Grade. My eyes don't work like they used to, and He brought out some points that I missed. Pictures would help to evaluate the rifle. I can't help to add, once again that the .300 H&H Magnum in the Model 70 is my favorite chambering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interestingly you will find on page 274 of Roger Rules fine book The Rifleman's Rifle, a Class 1 Special order rifle with a knurled bolt handle. This is repeated on the rifles on page 277, 279, and 282. Is this an original feature? Some may disagree, Mr. Rule seems to believe that it is original. I have come to realize, over the years that the Model 70 collector must physically inspect to determine originality. This is no easy task, and takes many years of handling these fine rifles to reach a decision. Even then not everyone would agree. Don't be closed minded. It is always a treat for me to talk to other collectors of the Model 70. Even the most advanced collectors can learn something new, and I'm very thankful when that happens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Note that all of those rifles had several special order features. It seems unlikely that the only special order feature on an otherwise ordinary Super Grade would be a knurled bolt knob.
Of course, when it comes time to sell a M70 with features that are claimed to be special order, most knowledgeable buyers would want documentation. Lacking that, it's a tough sell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
vicvanb, I agree, and factory documentation is almost impossible to obtain. Documentation from an honest advanced collector like yourself would be of great value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses by very knowledgeable people. I wish I had the time to figure out how to post pictures but as it is the rifle will probably just disapear into one of the gun safes.

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
When it comes to Winchester rifles, and older
lever actions with Super Grade Model 70s included,
any outside description including the word "never"
is to be regarded with deep suspicion.

Winchester is known to fool the advanced collector with a specimen rifle that special ordered or not-may be from New Haven as issued. Measure twice, cut once.

Posts: 353 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote