New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning/Sako Identification Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need help identifying and aging a Browning/Sako Rifle. It is a bolt action Rifle marked on the barrel Browning Made In Finland. It is apparently built on some model of Sako action. The caliber is 222 Remington Magnum. The Rifle has exceptional figured wood and gold enhanced engraving on the trigger guard and floorplate only. The serial number is marked on the barrel! No where on the action is a serial number! There is a 3 digit number (corresponding to the last 3 digits of the longer serial number) located on the underside of the bolt stem. But other than that there is no number on the body of the action. This would lead me to believe that this Rifle was made or imported prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 (that requires all actions in the USA to be serial numbered thereafter)!
My questions are does anyone have any idea as to the year of manufacture? Remembering that the 222 Remington Magnum was introduced in 1958. And does anyone have an idea as to which Sako (I am guessing its a Sako) action this Rifle was built on in Finland. The Rifle has a sporter weight barrel that has three distinct widths and two step downs from width to width to width. Any clues guesses or hints would be greatly appreciated.
The Rifle has been in my care for several years as the owner went through a nasty divorce and now lives in an unsecurable abode. I have grown attached to the nifty little Rifle and may wish to make a walking Varminter of it!
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
It should have a "Y" in the serial number before 1969 and a "Z" after that year if it's a Safari grade.

Medallion grade had an "A" then a "Y"

Olympians had a "B" then a "Y"

No numbers are given, but Browning usually had the last two digits of the year after the letter code.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning used a Sako L-461 for their .222 and .222 magnum Safaris and a Sako L-579 for their .243, .284, and .308 offerings (some .243's and .308's Safaris were also built on FN Mausers).

The Browning-Sako action differed from most other Sakos only insofar as it had a polished white, rather than blued bolt, and had a round receiver drilled for scope mounts rather than the usual Sako dovetails. I believe that Sako also made the entire barreled action for Browning, but others claim that only the action was Sako and that the barrel was from the same source as FN-actioned Safaris.

Browning collectors usually refer to the 22" sporter model as the "Pencil Barrel". The varmint model had a moderately heavy, but also stepped, barrel of 24".

I think that Browning has their numbering system posted on their website. You might check that to determine the exact age. Most of the .222 Magnums were, indeed, made prior to 1968. As I recall, about 1973 or 1974 was the end of production for the Safari.

Ain't they sweet little things?

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen: Thank you for your direction and assistance in the quest to age and identify this Rifle. I will open the safe tomorrow and see if the letter in the serial number is which! As it is so late right now the Browning site search will also be done tomorrow. Thank you both again. And yes this is a sweet little rig. It does have (as I recall) the polished bolt not a blued steel bolt! I remember that right now specifically. I may have to bid on this Rifle and see if my friend will take time payments. More later and thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote