Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 30 express
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
I picked up a Remington model 30 express in a trade recently. It is the carbine version ( 20 inch barrel) has the early sights on the receiver and appears to have a stock with the finger grooves and a crossbolt. I make it at 1932. It has not been modified in any way and was claimed to be a pennsylvania police gun as it has barracks numbers on the stock. Any Idea of its value?-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I paid $375 for this one, which is not a police version. It has the bolt guide on the bolt, cocks on opening and has a checkered schnabble forend rather than the flute:

-

[ 02-24-2003, 20:54: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's an unusual collectors item. Collectors pay silly prices for guns just because they are rare.

If that police gun were presented in the right way to the right customer it might bring in a nice profit. Even as is it should be a handy piece.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The one I bought has a sight on the top of the rear bridge which is a adjustable peep that is quite unususal. It's just as described in DeHaas chapter on the early 30 express. It looks at first like an old 03 peepsight, but on inspection it has the operating plunger and locking screw. Windage is done by drifting the sight in the dovetail. The stock has a crossbolt, and schnable with the early finger grooves. The action is cock on open and is about 98% blue. The barrel and receiver were never drilled for scope mounts. The owner says that one of the stamps on the barrel designated it as a Pennsylvania police gun and there is a professionally cut numbers on the stock above the floorplate E404. The Remmington address and info are on the barrel but closer to the front sight than one would expect. This is a 20 inch carbine version.The stock has one small nick in the right hand side of the schnable, but otherwise seems totally correct and has obviously been togther for some time. The stock also does not have a gripcap like in the pictures above as described by Haas for the initial model 30's. I've literally only seen one or two of these before in 40 yrs of collecting. I believe this may be a first or second year model.1932-33. -Rob

[ 02-24-2003, 23:50: Message edited by: Robgunbuilder ]

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran across a Remington 30 a couple of years
ago that had been rechambered from .25 Remington
to .250-3000, good price, not a bad looking gun,
but to heavy to carry around. I still wish that
I would have bought it.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

My deer hunting buddy picked one up for me last fall in Tulsa. It's really tempting to say I got it for about $375 to $400 like the other guy (good deal) but he sold it to me for $500 and I'm pretty sure he paid about $450 or so for it as I don't think he'd hike it up too much on me. He knew I had been looking for one and bought it figuring either I would buy it or else I wouldn't and he'd have an easy time making a profit elsewhere.

Mine's in 30/06, has a relatively low s/n, is in excellent shape (at least I think so), has the schnabel forend and is factory tapped for three different types of sights. Ironically enough these taps don't affect the top of the receiver. It is also cock on opening as the others have mentioned.

Probably the most unusual thing about the one I ended up with is that it has a curved steel buttplate which is apparently indicative of an early model and is actually relatively rare which probably explains a bit of the difference in price.

I'm somewhat particular to this action as I have several rifles built upon this action. After I got about 3-4 I decided I wanted a military version and was lucky enough to find a good example Winchester. After a few more I decided I wanted a Rem 30. Luckily my hunting buddy found one.

I would be interested in knowing the caliber and if you don't go too crazy on price I will say right now I'd be interested. I would invite you to email me with any of those details if you're interested.

There, I hope that helps.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just snapped some photos of the Rem 30, which I've been meaning to do for months, and if someone would give some brief instructions on how best to post I can then post them here or in a new thread. Fla3006, if you would be so kind, I would like to post just as you did.

It would appear that they need a http:// location and I'm not quite sure how to do that other than posting to some other web page.

Thanks in advance.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Reed- I got mine in a trade and estimate it about $450. I have always wanted one of these, so it's not actually for sale. I too really like the 1917 Enfield and recently converted a premo Win action to a 470 MBOGO myself. It took an enormous amount of work and for $500 a model 30 with all that stuff already done is a steal! Of course no one in their right mind would hack one up today, but I'm always on the lookout for a already butchered one. Just the thing for a T-Rex.I'll post some pictures, probably tomorrow.-Rob