New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 1911 value?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a 1911 style military issue pistol that I plan to buy. It was brought back by an american solder from Germany so it's at least as old as WWII. Remington UMC manufacture with Military stampings. Probably 90% or better, but has been reblued and wood grips were made for it in the 50's. My neighbor has no use for it and would like me to buy it. Of course with the stories he has about the war and this pistol, it's very valuable to me. But what would the value be for such a firearm. He also has at least one clip and a US holster that comes with it.
Idea's?

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
Refinishing destroys any collector value of any firearm, so it now has shooter value only. If it all Remington-UMC, then it was made during the 1918-1919 time frame, this makes it a 1911 from WW I. If it is a 1911, then it will not have the finger relief cuts behind the trigger guard and will have a flat style mainspring housing. If it is a 1911, was it refinished? Only WW II production (starting in 1943) 1911-A1's and arsenal refinished guns were parkerized. Is there any way you can post pictures and tell us the serial number (just "X" out the last two or three digits when you post)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have pictures, but I believe the serial number is 567XXX or something. At least in my blue book, that meant 1917-1919 manufacture if I read it right. I think the serial numbers for Remington UMC only went up to 21,000 or so. I didn't look into it further yet. My neighbor is the GI that brought it back from Germany, but he traded a rifle for it during the war and has no idea of it's orgin before that. I'm starting to think that the slide is off a different gun than the body. Possible?

[ 12-06-2002, 19:26: Message edited by: Shane in WI ]

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
You are correct on the serial numbers. It is most likely a Colt frame with a Remington UMC slide. This mismatch may have occured during an arsenal rebuild, then the gun was reissued. Collectors generally don't give much recognition to arsenal rebuilt guns that are mismatched. If the gun was refinished after its military career, then it has value only as shooter.