Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starr Carbine
 Login/Join

posted
A friend has a Starr cartridge carbine, low serial number. About all the info I can find says they were chambered in 56-50, however this one has a .535 groove diameter barrel and the chamber is shorter than my Spencer 56-50 and to me looks more like 56-56.
Any info on them or a source of info would be appreciated.

Al

Posts: 33 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
According to John McAulay in "Carbines of the Civil War," the Starr was initially produced as a percussion breechloader with a linen cartridge featuring a 444-grain .555 bullet over 62 grains of powder. Toward the end of the war, the carbines were converted to rimfire and modified to accept the .56-52 Spencer cartridge.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The Starr Carbine was chambered in a short rimfire cartridge almost the same as the Spencer but not exact .the Spencer round would chamber and fire though.
The original round is quite scarce and sought after by cartridge collectors.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 56-52 would fit the chamber but the 50 cal bullet would just rattle down the barrel.

One story I read (can't find it again) said the initial Starr cartridge carbines were chambered for 54 Starr cartridge but production for the army contract was for the 50 cal 56-52 or 56-50.

Because the barrel is a bit large for the 56-52 I have been wondering if it is for the Starr cartridge, the barrel is also 5 groove.

The cartridge Starr serial numbers were said to start at 30,000 this one is 30,057.

Al

Posts: 33 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote