New
Find
Notify
Tools

The medium of metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In order of pictures, a Duane Wiebe butt plate, one of Butch Lamberts rifles, a Roger Green rifle.

Posts: 510 | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how is metal checkered? How is it different from checkering wood?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my metal checkering is done with engraving tools. I use a checkering file where possible to lay out the line spacing. These files have multiple lines. I also have a few templates with line spacing where you can make a smoke copy of the template and transfer to the metal.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is my guess that the buttplates were milled by CNC machine program using carbide milling 45 degree cutters. One is able to use a Power checkering machine and a Carbide wheel to cut metal. That is how most bolt handles get the delightfully beautiful tear drops on them. One may use an engraving tool too..

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep..CNC cut with a 90 degree tool by "Nine 9" The buttplate on the completed rifle (close up) is negative checkering sorta like old Remington"s The other is a Biesen, no longer available...those were made from a knurled band of metal, then formed by stamping.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work Les.Kudos on your skill.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My apologies Jim for giving your credit to another. You do fabulous work. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
My apologies Jim for giving your credit to another. You do fabulous work. Thanks for sharing your pics.

The pictures posted are the work of Duane Wiebe, Roger Green and whomever did the work on Butch's rifle and are beyond my skill set.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From I.S. Sweetman Gun & Rifle Makers LTD, a beetle back thumb piece with gold.