New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering tool stand
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While perusing through AR some time ago I saw a gunmaker's very well organized bench with a handy looking holder for his checkering tools (I can't seem to recall who's it was, and haven't been able to find the picture when I went back to get a closer look at the design). But that image stuck with me as I wallowed through the filth that is my workbench and after several weeks I decided to do something about it. Here's what I came up with today for the checkering tools. Now I just need to come up with a plan for the rest of the clutter Smiler

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to show me up Jim! rotflmo
Looks great! I'm definitely going to be stealing this idea.

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt's is prettier!

Posts: 422 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice holder for the checkering tools.

If you do lots of checkering I will recommend making a similar set for air blowing the dust away as you checker. I have done so much over the years that an allergy to walnut dust will develop.

I use the MMC electric tool and as you may know the dust comes back into the nose area. You never need to stop to blow the dust away. After all time is money when you are full time gunsmithing. It takes a little time to get used to my style, but it will be worth the change over. If you need more info on making this air flow system it is on a PDF file and can be sent to you.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine owns Springco USA + for his grinding, buffing, etc. he puts 2 gun cleaning patches up his nostrils in lieu of a mask. Simple fix. A mask always tends to fog up my glasses.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post