New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Bow?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which compond bow do you recommend for deer and elk hunting?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Try a recurve!!

You'll never look back!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'd get a 60 or 70# Mathews Switchback if I didn't need 80# for Africa.

I like my 80# Allegiance, but I like my old Mathews FeatherMax, too.

One of my brothers has an Outback, one has a Hoyt, and both like their bows.

Good luck!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I've got a Hoyt Extruder and recently bought a Mathews Switchback. I am very impressed with the Mathews, smooth and very accurate. By turning up the cable you can increase the poudage, mine is at 74 lbs, more than enough far all the antelope in RSA.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
Try a recurve!!

You'll never look back!!!

Agreed.

After 20+ years of hunting with a compound, I went back to a recurve this year, and don't regret it a bit..

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I like my Parker, it has been a very nice bow for a reasonable price.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting stickbows since before they were called stickbows, way back in B.C.(before compounds). I tried compounds for a couple years, but never stopped shooting recurves. Its really not the bow. I could take shots with the compound that I wouldn't attempt with a stickbow, but I make shots that no one would attempt with a compound. One thing that no one can argue, traveling with a takedown recurve AND a spare set of limbs is FAR easier than traveling with a compound.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
After 20+ years of hunting with a compound, I went back to a recurve this year, and don't regret it a bit..

Coldbore!

Good to hear that! I started hunting with a Browning Nomad Stalker (40 lb recurve) got caught up in the compound thing for about10 - 12 years, Then back to a recurve, a Blackwidow this time.

You know what I found out? It brought the fun back into shooting a bow! clap

I'll never go back to a compound, love that recurve! Big Grin

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot an Oneida, a great bow. I want to go to a recurve but will hunt with the Oneida until I get confident with the recurve. Do you recurve guys use sights?

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MHC,

You really have to try all the different bows for yourself based on what your finances dictate. See if you can find a shop that carries several different brands. There's one here that carries Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE and others. If they won't let you shoot them, find another shop that will. You don't buy a car without driving it so don't buy a bow without shooting one. Personally, I shoot a Mathews Switchback now, had a Mathews Legacy before that. Good luck.

Posts: 14 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: 06 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain, I've never used a sight on a stickbow, but I do know a few people that have. If you keep trying to switch back and forth between a compound and a recurve you will have a tough road to travel, if you really want to switch the best way is to just sell or give away the compound. otherwise mentally you will keep falling bacl to it.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you recurve guys use sights?

Chain,

No sights, I shoot off the shelf, and use fingers. When I draw back, I stare at my target, I never see the Arrow when I release, just my target.

Widowmaker416

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I have owned and hunted with several bows over the years - Bear, Browning, Hoyte and Mathews. They are all good but I am very impressed with the Mathews. I have had the LX for a couple years and it has been fantastic. If I were in the market for a new bow the Mathews Switchback would be the one. Most shops will allow you to test shoot several bows which I highly recommend. I would also suggest visiting more than one shop as they may push the bow they have the most inventory of. If starting from ground zero for a bow, sight, rest, release, arrows, points/broadheads, any other accessories you will end up in the $1k - $1.5K budget depending on your tastes. Don't be cheap when it comes to archery tackle - trust me.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Is 38-40 lbs enough for deer or pigs?

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:

Do you recurve guys use sights?

Heck, I didn't use sights on my compound! No joke. I was waiting for a sight years ago to come in after I ordered it, and couldn't resist the temptation to just "fling arrows" in the mean time. I found that in very short order, I was shooting as good as I needed to, and ended up taking the sight back off shortly after I got it because I didn't shoot any better with it on.

I also shot "fingers" with a tab, and feathers rather than vanes on my arrows.

So going back to a recurve wasn't a huge step for me actually.

I lost the wheels and cables, but everything else pretty much stayed the same....

posted Hide Post
Like others have said, best to try several different brands/models. Although I've been a hoyt fan for many years, I had the opportunity to shoot the new (06) switchback today. Extremely quite and virtually shock free. There really is something to this new parallel limb technology. In fact, hoyt is on board this year with their new models. - Good luck.

Posts: 26 | Location: Florida | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:
Is 38-40 lbs enough for deer or pigs?

Check your regulations. There may be a minimum peak draw weight - it varies state-to-state. 38-40 lbs is a bit light but if you keep the range close - maybe 15 yards max I suppose, and pick the shot carefully (all rib, no big bones, broadside) you should be ok. Also, cut-to-the-point broad heads tend to penetrate better. I don't know about pigs though - sorry. Never shot one and am not familiar with their hide and bone structure. Sharp braodheads and good shot placement. If you think about it I sure would not want to get shot by a Satelite Titan at 38 lbs draw!!!! Good luck, have fun!

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My primary bows are stickbows, but recently purchased a McPhereson Edge (Pearson) and am amazed at how accurate you can be with sights out to 50 yards. here is no reason you can't shoot both stick bows and comopunds. Different techniques and different tools. If getting close is your thing, then a stickbow will work fine. In the end the deer doesn't know if it was hit by an arrow shot from a stickbow or a recurve. Shot placement is key.