New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traditional shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I usually shoot pretty good groups with my recurve. I went to the archery lanes tonight it went from good to bad as I got tired, that's to be expected, but then it got better again.

Lately I haven't been concentrating on the target at all, I know all the authors say "concentrate on the smallest spot you can" Well I've just been shooting for the best form I can manage, and damn what an improvement.

It's hard to describe. If I draw, shoot, follow through correctly etc. the arrow will hit a spot directly in front of me. I don't need to concentrate small I only need to look at the target and as if by some miracle the arrow hits where I look. Now that's all very well but--on my last three ends (I shoot 6 arrows per end) I lowered my head just a fraction of and inch and bingo!!! 3 -three inch groups of six arrows. I know that's nothing for compound shooters but for the average traditional guy that's pretty good.

It's interesting how such a small adjustment of body posture can make such a difference.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chef,I know exactly what you mean.I do that with my bow cant.I can cant a little to one side and be perfect,when i shoot real well like you were,I always remember the jerry reed song,When your hot your hot thumb!Its like magic when all your shots are bulls eyes and you are in the groove! wave

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it amazing that I can tell before the arrow impacts the target when the shot is good. There is something about the feel of a good shot as compared to a shot loosed with a sloppy release.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trad I agree, as soon as I release I know if I'll be on or not. I can usually tell before releasing if it's going to be a good shot, as soon as the arrow is on it's way that's when I know for sure. It's sure a sweet feeling isn't it?

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my intrusion into your discussion. I'm not a traditional shooter, and not very experienced with my compound.

Just today I found that maybe I've been overthinking this; waiting too long with the shot. My first 30 shots or so I managed to squeeze off within a few seconds, and even though I wasn't 'robin hooding' I was pretty pleased with the results. And then I could just FEEL the doubt creeping in... "How come I'm doing so well all of a sudden?" "Surely the next shot must be a poor one?" and I found myself hesitating in the release... Then I started forcing the early release, and now I need to start searching for my arrow tomorrow morning... weird stuff this bow shooting.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frans what you need to do is get involved with some compound shooters. Join the Calgary archers and get out shooting with some of them. You'll learn more in an afternoon shooting with others than you will in a year shooting by yourself. Or go to the archer center a day a week after work and start watching other compound shooters and asking questions. They will all help you with form etc.
I'd have to say though that instinctive shooting is a journey of self discovery. You have to learn all the things that others do to shoot well, then you have to distill it down and develop your own shooting style.

Also when you start to get that nagging feeling stop shooting. Target panic is slowly setting in I think, so put the bow away and pull it out again later. Try and remember what it feels like when you shoot well and burn that into your mind and body so that you can repeat it anytime. That's why it's important to train with people who know what they are doing, you don't want to develop the wrong shooting habits, that's hard to break.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chef,

Thanks for the advice.... so busy these days, that range trips don't seem to fit in the schedule.

But I'm going to heed your advice about quitting on top. In fact I already did. Yesterday I got two 30-yard shots dead centre, and even though I had only shot two dozen arrows, I called it quits on that positive note.

A famous Dutch soccer player/trainer once commented on practicing penalty shots. Players had been shooting dozens of penalties prior to a tournament. He said: "You shouldn't shoot dozens of penalty shots per day. You should shoot only one, but make that one count!"

There's something about building up pressure if you know you can shoot only one I reckon...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frans,
Recommend that you read Idiots Proof Archery (Bernie Pellerite). What you need to learn is the importance of an unanticipated release accomplished by squeezing your shoulder blades together to initiate the release (back pressure release).