New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back to traditional
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After checking on my compound at the shop for the second time in several weeks, I started to think.
The recurve bow will come out of the closet. My longbow hangs on the wall with my flintlock for decoration in my den. That is about to change.

Posts: 2661 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you dedicate yourself to practice, and use restraint on selecting your shots. A compound with sights is much easier to shoot adequately for an occasional archer than are either the recurve or longbow. The latter two are more instinctive weapons, and instincts are only sharpened by constant repetition and experience. Have at it! It's an obsession :-)

Posts: 20067 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started with a long bow back in the 60's then a recurve. Then a compound in 75. Haven't had a desire to go back.

I think of the hrs and hrs of paractice to get half the accuracy and range that I get with my compound.

No thank you.

Posts: 19295 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's true you do need to practice a lot with traditional equipment but it's an obsession for some of us and we don't consider our fun to be practice. If you don't have time to practice a compound and range finder is the easier way for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally find the " Practice ", with my Traditional equipment, as a mentally relaxing experience..!

PAPI
archer

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice sticks! :-)

Posts: 20067 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.. But, my personal pride & joy is not in the photo. I keep it locked away Eeker !!

John Schulz: " American Longbow; Tonkin ".

Here's a bit of background info, along with some better photos of a similar Bow.
http://leatherwall.bowsite.com...ssages=20&CATEGORY=3

PAPI
archer

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Had a good opportunity to take a doe this weekend and after a conversation with the landowner about how he had no venison, I took it. Big River Longbow, Forgewood shafts from the '60s and a Journeyman broadhead did the job.

rudyc

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would rather practice with my recurve than my compound. Just can't bring myself to hunt completely traditional.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, it's funny how a recurve or longbow is just so darned fun to shoot isn't it? No offence but it seems most wheelie shooters shoot to become a good shot, I don't see them stump shooting and just plain having fun. Traditional gear is a lot harder to hunt with, I'll be the first to admit that one.

One of Us
Picture of elkslayer4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Joe, it's funny how a recurve or longbow is just so darned fun to shoot isn't it? No offence but it seems most wheelie shooters shoot to become a good shot, I don't see them stump shooting and just plain having fun. Traditional gear is a lot harder to hunt with, I'll be the first to admit that one.

I've been shooting recurves since the mid 60's, and the biggest reason is the "practice sesions" the stump shooting, shooting flu flus, and just plain watching the flight of a traditional arrow. I have 3 compounds, and like shooting them, but I love shooting my recurves.

skin that one out, and I'll get ya another

Posts: 44 | Location: Lane county, Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is Pat's story.

I used the all yew Vixen longbow and a Grizzly broadhead to tag this young fellow..

My Bud has several long bows. In the thread below shows him with a piggie last week I think.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
PAPI: Love that snakeskin-backed bow.
I ditched the wheelbows a couple of years ago as well.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Started out with recurves in the 50's, went to compounds about 4 or 5 yrs after they came. Haven't shot my compound since going back to recurves about 3 yrs ago. Couple of bucks I killed the last two yrs.

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Strung up my Bob Lee just last night and shot it for the first time in three or four years! LOVE it!
At the Pope and Young Club convention a couple weeks ago here in Dallas, I sat in a seminar on shooting instictly by Fred Asbel and was inspired!!!
Dad-gum do I need some arrows!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I ditched the wheel bows a few years ago because they aren't nearly as much fun to shoot as trad bows. Gave up some distance and flatter trajectory, but have become a better hunter. Here's my latest acquisition.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, gorgeous timber in that bow, mate! What kind of bow? What kind of timber?

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
Andy, gorgeous timber in that bow, mate! What kind of bow? What kind of timber?

Hi Ben,

It is a Sasquatch takedown longbow. Kirk Lavender of Bigfoot Bows built it for me. The wood is black & white ebony from SE Asia. Limbs are carbon foam sandwiched between matrix carbon. This is the fastest trad bow I've ever had. I'm not a speed freak, but not averse to a bit more arrow speed either. She has a set of 40# limbs and a set of 50#'ers. The first set came out at 62#, and I'll likely talk Kirk out of those, too.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old thread where the original poster never came back.....But,

Fred Bear said something about hunting with traditional tackle in that it forced the hunter to slow down and "smell the flowers", so to speak. When you reach a point where the joy of the hunting journey becomes of equal value, if not of greater value, than the ending kill, the self-imposed limitations of hunting with traditional tackle becomes an attractive means to help find and maximize that joy. If the goal is to kill the most animals in the shortest time, then hunting with traditional tackle is probably the wrong path to follow. But, if the goal is to turn the hunting experience into a challenging adventure, then hunting with traditional tackle is probably a good path to follow.

Best Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few pics.

Another

Another

Another

Another

This is some photos that a friend sent to me. He has a nice size ranch just south and west of Houston. He takes a long walk daily to unwind and shoot his traditional and recruve bows.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i just decided to get back into the bow shooting/hunting game. bought a bear kodiak magnum. my son and i really enjoy the "practice" sessions...we are taking a break right now to let the fingers heal up. Big Grin traditional is the game for us

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the recurves, have a reflex/deflex on the menu, and for some reason the idea of a Hill Cheetah makes me drool a little bit..
Butch, you,ve got some great looking bows!

I know a wheelie bow should be easier to shoot, faster, more accurate, and make you a cup of coffee while you,re looking for the deer...
I just can,t warm up to em. I tried, had a buddy,s high tech compound at my place for a week or two this spring. Got as far as drawing back on it twice, could,nt quite bring myself to put an arrow through it.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote