Find
Notify
Tools

Bow hunt in July
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
I was fortunate to spent 3 days in a pit blind and elevated hide in the western parts of the Limpopo Province od South Africa the past week...

We have a cold front move over the country resulting in snow over a large part of the country...
Even a few flurries just south of Jhb Int airport early this morning.

This resulted in a lot of strong wind while hunting making the game jittery.

Monday morning my Nyala came in

Tuesday was an almost blank untill the bushpig mads the mistake to move in...

This is the second bushpig with the bow in day light hours.

Those of you who have hunted them know how rare this is.

Wednesday afternoon the bluewildebeest came in and this bull gave me the right shot angle.

It was magic to just settle in a listen and relax in the hides after four long hard months in the Saudi desert.

Tuesday its time to head back to the ME for the next stint.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent..... Well done beer

What type of arrows and broadheads you shooting?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Excellent..... Well done beer

What type of arrows and broadheads you shooting?

Thank you,

I used Carbon Express Piledriver 350 arrows with a 125gr Slick Trick Std.

Total arrow weight was 530gr and they did the trick as an example

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bush pig. On my first safari in Zim in 2012, a bush pig came in to water. I thought it was the ugliest thing and never arrowed it.
My PH thought I was crazy.
Now that I realize the rarity, he was right.
Nice animals.
I used some Slick Tricks as well and they were deadly.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Nice bush pig. On my first safari in Zim in 2012, a bush pig came in to water. I thought it was the ugliest thing and never arrowed it.
My PH thought I was crazy.
Now that I realize the rarity, he was right.
Nice animals.
I used some Slick Tricks as well and they were deadly.

Thank you,

i have been shooting Slick Tricks for 10 years and they never let me down.

With the pig stopping under the wind I had to shoot quickly and the shot went higher than what I wanted. But still anchored him to be dispatched quickly.

He was not huge as what they can get but he is going to make great eating.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
nice job! congrats. i noticed a small splinter on my lower limb this weekend. i'm hoping it'll be ok, i leave for RSA in 4 weeks! looks like those heavier arrows worked well for you.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
nice job! congrats. i noticed a small splinter on my lower limb this weekend. i'm hoping it'll be ok, i leave for RSA in 4 weeks! looks like those heavier arrows worked well for you.

Thank you,

Best would be to take the bow to your local Pro shop and have it checked out as soon as possible.

You do not want to travel all the way with a bow with a possible cracked limb.

I am very happy with the 530gr arrows.

I have been shooting Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows since 2007 and these Carbon Express Piledriver arrows has stood up to the test.

Good luck with the preparations for the hunt. Its already part of the hunt.

Hope you have a great trip across the pond.

Remember to invest in a quality pocket camera that can be set to silent. There are a lot of photos that can be taken out of the hide of species not on the hit list..

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
good points, my pocket camera is not very high quality, i think i need to get a new one asap.

my limbs were custom for my bowtech destroyer 350 made by barnsdale. i emailed him, he called me a couple of hours later, and shipped new limbs to me yesterday (same day). cannot ask for better customer service than that! so hopefully i'll have new limbs on it this week and tuned by next week.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
good points, my pocket camera is not very high quality, i think i need to get a new one asap.

my limbs were custom for my bowtech destroyer 350 made by barnsdale. i emailed him, he called me a couple of hours later, and shipped new limbs to me yesterday (same day). cannot ask for better customer service than that! so hopefully i'll have new limbs on it this week and tuned by next week.

You could not ask for better service.

The pocket camera will be worth every $$ you spent as this is how you will collect the memories. Remember most of the new cameras can take video clips.

Make a clip of how the hides and camp looks like.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za