Find
Notify
Tools

Broadhead Choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I have done my fair share of experimenting with broadheads over the years. Between my cousin and I, we have tried the following bh: Brax, Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts, Slick Trick Grizz, Montec, grim reaper, Rage, Atom, Steelforce Phathead, NAP bloodrunner, and Rocket Meat Seekers. While all of these were capable of killing deer, some were better than others. We experienced failures with the rage and NAP. The rage did not open and the NAP didn't penetrate worth a darn. I chipped the front half off a buzzcut on a leg bone on quartering away shot. The Atom and Brax were more of a bet than anything else. My cousin was not fully convinced that they would work, too odd looking to be practical.

Just curious as to what everyone else's preference was and why. What do you think makes for a good broadhead (aside from accuracy)?
For me, I have come to like Grim Reapers Razortips. They have a large cutting diameter, chisel tip and they always open up. I have always had huge blood trails with them as well.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a former TV show host, I was constantly having companies send me product that they wanted me to use on the show, broadhead manufacturers among them.

So needless to say, I've tried MANY different broadheads. I do not like the expandable broadheads. I was shooting a 70 lb. compound bow and I experienced too many failure to open, poor blood trails and inadequate penetration issues to ever feel comfortable using them to hunt with.

I'm firmly in the camp of "Keep It Simple Stupid" and go with a fixed broadhead design. I was very comfortable with Muzzy broadheads but didn't like the fact that too many times the aluminum ferrule got bent when the arrow passed through and hit something solid in the ground. Then Slick Trick sent me some of their Magnum 100 four blade heads.

I tested them at a game farm and was impressed as hell with their performance. I killed a Corsican Ram, a large boar hog, and an American Bison, having pass-through shots on all the animals and one shot kills. On a different hunt, I killed an Asian Water Buffalo and the arrow sliced through very thick hide, broke a rib on the way in, clipped the top of the heart, skewered the lungs and cracked another rib on the off-side before it was stopped. The animal ran 137 laser-ranged yards before it tipped over dead....

So I'll continue to use my Slick Tricks, deal with the fact that I have to tune my bow a little better and continue to kill animals...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then Slick Trick sent me some of their Magnum 100 four blade heads.
I tested them at a game farm and was impressed as hell with their performance. I killed a Corsican Ram, a large boar hog, and an American Bison, having pass-through shots on all the animals and one shot kills. On a different hunt, I killed an Asian Water Buffalo and the arrow sliced through very thick hide, broke a rib on the way in, clipped the top of the heart, skewered the lungs and cracked another rib on the off-side before it was stopped. The animal ran 137 laser-ranged yards before it tipped over dead....

I agree that slick tricks are the 'gold standard' for bh performance. I would be using them all the time if I could get them to shoot out of my bow. I have the dreaded cam lean plagued by many first year Monster's that have been shot several thousand times. While mechanical's have there limitations, they are the only thing that fly reasonably well out of my set up. I am blessed that I have found a BH that works for my needs. I have not had the same issues that you have had with mech's in the past. Would I use them on anything other than deer sized game? Probably not, but hunting species other than deer would be a valid excuse to get a new bow. I'm hoping next year the wife will let me upgrade.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
hey canadian,
i'm not too familiar with the monsters, but if something changed with the limbs/cams to create cam lean you can't fix, is that a warranty issue that mathews would fix?

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
hey canadian,
i'm not too familiar with the monsters, but if something changed with the limbs/cams to create cam lean you can't fix, is that a warranty issue that mathews would fix?

I'm not the original owner. Apparently, the guy I bought it off of won it of a raffle or shoot of some sort. It was NIB when I received it and it shot really well. Years of abuse have taken its toll. Not only do I shoot it a ton, I have also dropped it out of the tree stand on occasion. I believe the culmination of these things has weakened one side of the split limbs. The most cost effective solution would be to buy new limbs. However, this would defeat the argument I am making to my wife on why I need a new bow.

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too like the Slick Tricks.
They are strong, fly well and are very very sharp.
It is also very easy and cheap to replace the blades.
Another good fixed broadhead is the DRT and might be the one that makes me turn my back to the Slick Tricks.
I know some people like the Exodus very much it too is a high quality fixed broadhead.

When it comes to mechs, I think the Ulmer Edge all steel is good, but I wish they would make a all steel 2" cut version.
The new Rage Hypodermic is good, but I think the blades are to thin and flimsy.
They bend and break to easily in my opinion.

I also like the NAP Spitfire Maxx Trophy Tip, but it needs a well tuned bow and a proper setup.
I shoot a 615 gr arrow at 260 fps and it performs very well with that.

And thecanadian, you really need to either fix the cam lean or buy a new bow.

It is clear that your bow is not properly tuned because of your bad cam lean and that results in bad arrow flight and highly reduced penetration.
No matter if you use a mech or a fixed broadhead.

So you can tell your wife from me that it is really needed that you get a new bow to ensure humane hunting.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norwegianwoods:

And thecanadian, you really need to either fix the cam lean or buy a new bow.

It is clear that your bow is not properly tuned because of your bad cam lean and that results in bad arrow flight and highly reduced penetration.
No matter if you use a mech or a fixed broadhead.

So you can tell your wife from me that it is really needed that you get a new bow to ensure humane hunting.

Very true. Most of the deer I have shot have been complete breakthroughs. Below is a pic of the buck I killed two years ago. The arrow shattered a rib punctured both lungs and hit the heart. No blood trail, but the deer only ran 20 yds.

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
ah, yeah, the new bow argument is a strong one. i just picked up a bowtech experience last week. new bows are definitely not cheap. you can find new limbs (probably) on archerytalk and try that. but for arguments sake, you need a good flying arrow for the best penetration to cleanly harvest your game. that alone would sell my wife i think.

good luck with your bow

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I shoot Vantage Point Archery (VPA) broadheads. They are fixed blade, machined from one solid piece of tool steel and are the toughest head I have ever shot... and I have shot a lot of different broadheads over the past 40 years. They can be shot and resharpened. I shoot the 125 & 150 grain three blade heads. They make a lot of different style 3 blade and 2 blade models. I don't think I will ever shoot anything else!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't even think about rebuilding a bow. the advancements in technology.

Make a old bow all most obsolete almost when they leave the shelf.

Yes long bows and recurves still take game and my 4 wheel Allen could also.

But compounds are just not worth rebuilding.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
I've got Shuttle T-Locks in my quiver and will also carry G5 Strikers this year.

Killed some deer with Montecs, but wasn't crazy about the blood trails.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Staying with Muzzy trocars - 3 for 3 last season, with shorts trail 3 yards, longest was ~55 yards.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Montecs, but think I might try the VPA's this year as I really like the way they look. I love the idea of using one piece of solid steel for the head.

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
All four taken with Muzzy 100Gr 3 Blade - Mathews HeliM at 70lbs with ACC Pros.

All were complete pass throughs and none went more than 30 yards.

Muzzy 3 blades are not expensive, tune fairly easily (at least for me)and I have never had one fail. I've picked up 6 BH packs for less than $30.00 before...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Scott, those are some very fine trophies. Talk about a mature warthog!
I am going to shoot a new-to-me broadhead this year, the Anarchy. These things fly very straight and are built like a '56 Buick.
http://anarchyarchery.com/anarchy-broadhead-arrows

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
He was an old guy.. Instead of letting the Hyenas get him he is now immortalized in my trophy room! The impala is not the biggest I've shot but we took him spot and stalk and my knees were completely worn out by the time we got him!

The hard part of fixed blades is tuning them - I ave had an occasional Muzzy that I just could get to fly straight. I always tune a BH to an arrow, marking each one..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
I have had some devastating results on whitetail deer shooting the Rage 2 blade 100 grain broadhead. I shot a doe from about 15 yards away last season as she was quartering away from me. I hit her far back in the ribs, with a raking shot and through one lung and the heart at an angle. The arrow exited partially through the offside shoulder. That was nearly complete pass-through shooting THROUGH 5 ribs (cut them in half), vitals, and a shoulder joint. The broadhead was toast after that but still sharp. Needless to say the doe did not go very far...

The season before I shot another doe with a Rage broadhead and got pass-through with a traditional side-on shot from about 35 yards. While they aren't cheap, I have had a lot of success with these broadheads!

-John

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Muzzy has probably over the years killed more game in Africa than any other broad heads.

I have been bow hunting since 2005 and have long since learned KISS and if it aint broke dont fix it principles...

Slick Trick 125gr Std has given me accuracy, a big wound channel and straight line penetration for everything upto Eland.

I will probably still be using them in the next 10 years...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
The Slick Tricks are great broadheads - I guess if I ever run out of Muzzys I would probably go the STs...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I changed several times in the beginning years of archery but once I tried SteelForce, I have stayed with them. I have only managed to tear up one broadhead using them and that was on a 32 yard shot on an elk. I overestimated the range and shot it in the spine, dropping it instantly, but the broadhead bent on the tip. Have killed several more elk, 11 bears and 3 deer using the steelforce and with that one exception, all were pass throughs and resulted in very dead animals.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm probably the odd man out, but I still like the expandables, usually Sidewinders. I've probably taken 25 or more Whitetails with them. In only one instance did I not get a complete pass-through, and that was on a Buck directly below me; shot through the shoulder blades...and even then the arrow was only held in by the fletching.

I shoot speed bows in the 71-74 lb range, and only hunt 110-175 lb Whitetails...maybe that's why.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with Biebs on this one, I been shooting mechanicals for so many years, I have not seen any lack in performance to change, and have shot deer with Montecs, thunderheads, steelforce, etc. Just last year I shot a 225 lb. buck quartering towards me and shot through the thickness portion of the shoulder and broke the off side shoulder, deer went 30 yards and piled up. That was with the rage hypodermics, 410 grain arrow 290ish fps.

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The primary thing I've noticed is that people who shoot fixed blade broadheads never have to use the excuse, "I don't think my broadhead opened up..."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shof,
I have to agree with you. I shot an expandable on a doe Mule deer the second year I bowhunted and it was destroyed at impact. Tore off 2 of the 4 blades and deformed the other 2 badly. Killed the deer but had way too much arrow sticking out of the deer to impress me. Changed to the cut on contact Steel Force and have never looked back. Don't need any excuses.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seasons:

That don't add up to me.
Both shoulders on a quartering shot?????
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George
The deer was quartering to me slightly, I will try and post a picture up later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

You can see the shoulder impact

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the DirtNap Gear DRT's...probably because it's my company. We have a lifetime warranty, patent pending modular weight system (same head can be 100 or 125) and single bevel or double bevel availability. Great flight and durability. Check us out:

www.dirtnapgear.com DirtNap DRT

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STOS.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
You will notice most posters have been using the same broadhead for many years and I think that is the true key to success. Fixed or mechanical, hunters that take the time to learn how their particular broadhead choice flies and tune the BH to each arrow will have success.. What gets hunters in trouble is constantly trying out the newest design and never developing a true comfort level with a particular setup.

Although.. The fixed vs. mechanical debate is a cornerstone to modern bowhunter discussions :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently shoot Montec'Montec's and have never had a problem with them, but I think I am going to try the VPA broadheads this year. I'll be going with the 100 grain vented.
http://www.vparchery.com/vpa_3_blade_broadheads.php

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Here is a little video we put together showing off our product:

https://vimeo.com/103357142

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year i used a Rage 100gr chisel tip(red body) expandable and a 100gr Schwacker, both put the deer down within sight. The Rage shot doe only went 15yds, stood there a couple of seconds then tipped over right in front of my tree stand! I have never had a more effective lung shot deer, rifle included. I have used Slick Tricks, 100gr Magnums and i like em, but the deer will tend to go 100 plus yes with a perfect lung shot. This year i will be using the Schwackers, they are not too expensive and just plain work.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We tried a number of broadheads until we used the 100gr Swhacker with the 2" cut. We haven't lost a deer since we switched, in fact I don't think any have gone more than 30-40 yards. Has anyone tried these in Africa?

Posts: 885 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have used Slick Tricks, 100gr Magnums and i like em, but the deer will tend to go 100 plus yes with a perfect lung shot.

The ONLY thing I shot that didn't drop within 40 yards was a 1,400 lb. Asian Water Buffalo that I shot. And that went 137 yards, laser ranged when it fell. I've watched more game fall within sight shooting Slick Tricks than any other head that I've tried, and yes, I've tried several different expandables too.

I don't think it takes a lot to drop a whitetail, other than a well placed shot. It's when you get into black bears, wild hogs, elk and bigger game that you notice that the game doesn't fall over.

Use what you want, but I know what's going to be on the front of my arrow come September 27, and that's Slick Trick Magnum 100 broadheads.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post

Killed these deer over the last 3 years. Original rages and NAP KillZones.
Mechanicals have certainly been working for me.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Photos of a warthog I shot with a Rage BH. 36 yards with a 78 pound New Breed Archery, Cyborg. This was a devastating hit! I hit low when I dropped my arm on the shot. I am a true believer in the Rage 2 Blade BH.

I shot a Jackal with a Rage and nearly cut the poor thing in half.

http://i111.photobucket.com/al...670.jpg?t=1412562746

http://i111.photobucket.com/al...669.jpg?t=1412562734

http://i111.photobucket.com/al...671.jpg?t=1412562758

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya'll are overthinking this....stay with the original stone cold killer head....

57# longbow, Texas chert head, 2000# Bison. 25 yard shot, ran 150 yards and down.

When I shoot steel I use German Kenitics Silverflames or STOS heads.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Bear razorheads, Zephyrs, Grizzly's, Eclipse, Werewolf, Magnus, Zwickey, and Journeyman to name a few.

They have all done the job as long as they were sharp and I put them in the right spot.....

Not a big fan of expandables, mainly because I shoot traditional equipment.

I ponder why people choose to use something that has such a documented history of failure. Especially when it is the critical part that actually does the work.

But people are free to choose what they want, please don't cry to the world when they fail.

Mechanical broadheads = caveat emptor

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote