New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed blade broadheads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking at Magnus broad heads for elk anyone here have any experience with them or suggestions ?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Magnus stinger, 125 grain four blade in Africa on some large game. They worked fine.
I have switched to Iron Will, 125 grain. Expensive, but worth it in my view.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've shot mule deer with them and numerous african animals including eland, it cut a rib off on the entry and just stuck through the off side rib, the ferule was bent but other wise ok and magnus has a unconditional guarantee and have replace sevral of the 125 and 100 for my wife and I.

Posts: 19 | Location: salmon id | Registered: 01 March 2019Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wildebeest through both shoulders with the Broadhead hanging out about a foot on the far side. Effective and tough enough when I’ve used them.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I've used Magnus broadheads for many years with my recurve. They have always unfailingly worked. Just keep em sharp. Not much else to say and no need for fancy advertising like some of those abortions marketed as broadheads today.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son used a 125 Magnus stinger last week on a 5x5 bull elk. It was a 25 yard shot, arrow blew through the lungs, and the bull ran 40 yards, and died on his feet.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
My son used a 125 Magnus stinger last week on a 5x5 bull elk. It was a 25 yard shot, arrow blew through the lungs, and the bull ran 40 yards, and died on his feet.

Congratulations to your son! tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it was his first elk hunt. Go figure. But I was over the top happy that the got an elk.

NRA Patron member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last week, my son killed another elk with 125 Magnus stingers, four blade. Bull is a nice 5x5, 40 yards, double lunged. It ran about 100 yards and crashed.

NRA Patron member

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Stingers are awesome.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Last week, my son killed another elk with 125 Magnus stingers, four blade. Bull is a nice 5x5, 40 yards, double lunged. It ran about 100 yards and crashed.

Once again congratulations.
Your son is quite the hunter! tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, he is quite the hunter, when the “old man” pays for the guided hunt

NRA Patron member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with the 85 gr and 100 gr Steel Force!

st

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1093 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I started using the QAD Exodus broadheads a few years ago...

I like the 100gr swept broadheads.. They print almost exactly with my field points and the still make then for the deep-sex inserts that I am (unfortunately) invested heavily in :-(

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Magnus makes a great broadhead, for the money. Iron will is a premium head, but as noted above, very expensive. There are others in the same price range. Likely not for most bow hunters. I’m a big believer in fixed blades, as I’ve seen too many failures with expandables. There’s a lot of theory on design, with longer heads thought to penetrate better by some. If you think about the angle of the blade, a shallower angle (longer blade) should penetrate better. That said, the Magnus stinger is a bit short and fat, but gets the job done. So does that exodus in the previous post.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Bear has just released a new razor head. Not what we grew up on, but at least close. In point of fact it looks more like a Zwicky. It has an interesting insert design.