New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don G
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone heard from Don G as to if he has gotten a buff on his African Safari using his bow?

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Been wondering where he is myself. Sent a PM and an email awhile back, no response. When was his last post on AR?

Last I heard, he was going to do spring bear hunt in June.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
he should be around, he posted today...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I've been suffering from Post Safari Depression - and awfully busy trying to catch up at work. I got back a week ago.

I got two buff with a rifle, then we chased them with a bow for several days. We got up in amongst the herd several times, but I just could not get in range of an old bull.

In one ambush where we scrambled around and got in front of a herd I had a 3 year old bull literally eating out of the bush I was hiding in - a range of 6 feet - but I never could get a shot at an old guy.

Had a great time and hope to get back one more time to Africa with my brothers.

I did do some penetration tests on three different Cape Buffalo bulls: I shot a total of 13 arrows and 11 were kill shots.

The only advice I have for shooting a Cape Buffalo is to not take any quartering away shots. I shot 5 arrows quartering away - 3 penetrated and 2 did not. On the two shots that failed to penetrate the arrow skidded on a rib and slid between the ribs, causing reduced penetration at a very forward angle. This gave a 60% chance of a kill when quartering away.

All arrows fired broadside into the ribs penetrated at least to the far side of the rib cage - and buried into the far ribs. Three arrows penetrated completely (one hanging by the fletches). One arrow penetrated both sides of the rib cage and the scapula on the far side.

One arrow fired at the nearside scapula penetrated the scapula and buried up into the spine - but did not break the spine. I think if the angle had been downward (like from a tree stand) it would have gotten through to the heart/lungs just fine. Unfortunately I don't have any still pictures. I hope to get some freeze-frames off a video some day.

The arrows were 900 grains total at 222 ft/second for 98 ft-lbs KE. The bow was my Allegiance maxed out at 83#. The heads were Grizzly Grande 190 gr. sharpened "Tanto style". I used 100 grain case hardened steel adapters on full-length (32") Carbon Tech Rhino Safari arrows.

I had a self-imposed max range of 30 yards. I will practice out to 50 before I go back.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Don,

Your experience and conclusions mirror that of myself and a friend of mine.

A quartering away shot on a large animal is not a good idea.

Aiming to hit the opposite side leg on a quartering away shot is the general wisdom. On animals that have the heaviest rib bones where such a shot must enter will result in unexpected results. IE. You shouldn't expect the arrow to stay on a straight path if it connects heavy bone. On such animals it is actually preferrable to avoid the quartering away shots. On some of these animals placing the shot so it should exit in FRONT of the opposite leg can actually produce more lethal results. Probably ok for kudu and elk sized game but not IMO the buffalo. I also tend to think that FOC needs to be on the high side for such shots.

My friend has killed two water buff with a bow and as far as he is concerned on those animals it's a broadside shot only. The one he shot that was quartering away resulted in exactly the results you describe. It was a long day for him.

I hope others heed your advice and experience. Avoid quartering away shots on buffalo. There is wisdom here.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Thanks, TBG.

I hope to get to try the broadside shot for real next time!

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don and TBG
My own personal experience on big nasties only serves to re-inforce the observations you both have made.

Heavy arrows with plenty of FOC, sturdy cut on impact broadheads, broadside shots:these are the secrets for success.I took a quartering shot on an eland this year(and another on a kudu several years ago)where the arrow deflected off the ribs and scooted under the shoulder.Broadside shots all have produced pass throughs on cape buffalo,water buffalo, two giraffes and many eland.It does make a difference.

When taking on the big stuff,particularly the dangerous stuff,we need to pay attention to the details and do what we can to stack the odds in our favor.The above guidelines are a good place to start.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Amen!

Don_G

posted Hide Post
Don G and others:
I too agree with your observations concerning quartering away shots. The bull I took in 04 was quartering away. The arrow skimmed 2-3 ribs before diving in to the chest. I was very fortunate that the arrow pierced his heart. The penetration was marginal. If I ever get another chance: Broadside only!
Congrats on your bulls Don, and thanks for posting you BH/arrow tests as it fully explains what happened with my bull. Dan

Posts: 48 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With Quote