New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bow String
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How often do you replace your strings and any recommendations on a new string .

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on how much you shoot, the quality of the string, and how well you care for the string. I shoot about 100 arrows a week, pretty much year round and I keep my string well waxed.
My strings get changed every other year, but I’m not sure that’s necessary.
I have used vapor trail, Winners Choice and factory Hoyt strings. All worked fine for me.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep them well waxed and they last A LONG time. I shot ASA tournaments for 2 years with the same string/cables....and that's a lot of arrows in practice, etc....never needed to change.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Duckworth
posted Hide Post
Sorry to add on to this thread, I managed to snap my D-Loop and living in Zimbabwe I can't just run to the Archery shop and get another!!

Any ideas what round the house type cord I can use from normal non archery stores!!

Doug Duckworth
Professional Hunter
Mokore Safaris
@dougduckworthsafaris
dougduckworth@mokore.com
www.mokoresafarisafrica.com
@dougduckworthsafaris.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you have any access to climbing gear? I know there are some small diameter cords with very high breaking strength available. OR any cord made out of dyneema, will get it done for you.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Twilli,

It's prudent to change your bow string once a year if actually needed or not. It's cheap insurance against what can be a catastrophic failure if it breaks.

Doug,

As mentioned any similar material can be used in a pinch. I like to wax the loop to slow down fraying too.

archer

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Duckworth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I may have just the thing. Unfortunately we are as fresh out of climbing stores as we are Archery shops!!!

Doug Duckworth
Professional Hunter
Mokore Safaris
@dougduckworthsafaris
dougduckworth@mokore.com
www.mokoresafarisafrica.com
@dougduckworthsafaris.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Duckworth:
Thanks for the info! I may have just the thing. Unfortunately we are as fresh out of climbing stores as we are Archery shops!!!

You better stick to archery. You kind of big for climbing Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Any nylon cord will do for a string loop. Not the best but it will do.

Another get by tip is to use dental floss for serving in peeps, etc. I like green mint flavor best! Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the last 15 years, I've seen a lot more broken bow limbs and even risers than I have broken strings. I've worked on lots of bows, managing a shop, having one of my own and still have one set up in my garage.

If you inspect your bow every shooting session, a string will usually warn you when it's getting bad, it will stretch, fray or individual strands will break. String materials today are amazingly strong and will generally last more than a year, even with lots of shooting.

Always check your cams and axles too. It's easy to get a sharp edge on the cam that can cut the string. Make sure your bow is tuned and you don't torque the bow. More bows are ruined by derailing the string than by it actually breaking. If you torque the bow excessively or have lots of cam lean, you can derail the string.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote