THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    California archery hunter severely mauled by wounded bear

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California archery hunter severely mauled by wounded bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.mercurynews.com/20...led-by-wounded-bear/

California archery hunter severely mauled by wounded bear

By RICHARD K. DE ATLEY |
August 28, 2018 at 5:20 am

An archery hunter was “severely mauled” when a bear that he had wounded attacked him, a California Department of Fish and Wildlife official said Monday.

The hunter was with two friends Friday evening in the Banning Canyon area, north of Banning in the San Gorgonio Pass, when the mauling took place, Capt. Patrick Foy of Fish and Wildlife said in a telephone interview from Sacramento.

There was no word on the unidentified hunter’s condition.

Foy said bear hunting season is currently open for the area. The hunter waited to check on the bear for about half an hour after striking it with the arrow, which Foy called standard technique for archery hunting.

“When he approached the bear, it attacked,” Foy said. The bear is dead and has been removed from the area. Foy said he was not sure how the bear died, or the size of the animal, which had been taken to a lab for study.

He said the case remained under investigation.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it the ACLU has been hired by PETA to represent the bear’s family in a lawsuit against the hunter for wrongful death.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Bear Lives Matter protests will be next...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks bow hunt. I am surprised that I have not heard of this before. I suppose a good lesson on giving a bear a second shot before you get too close?

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or give the bear 30 minutes to expire before approaching.

quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Lots of folks bow hunt. I am surprised that I have not heard of this before. I suppose a good lesson on giving a bear a second shot before you get too close?

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I've never had a arrowed black bear come back on me but I give them plenty of time (hours).. You can often hear their death bellow if you listen for it...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happened in MN a few years back on a follow up.

The hunter got chewed up.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

Good reason to carry a handgun. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
A bow hunter in the Tillamook area of Oregon, arrowed a big Roosevelt bull elk. He let it go and came back in the morning with a friend. They found the bull still alive and the hunter tried to put another arrow in him. The bull charged him and severely gored him in the neck area. The hunter died of massive blood loss, even with his friends aid. OSP and ODFW personnel euthanized the bull.

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote