THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Who's getting a new bow this year?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's getting a new bow this year?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
I have a Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo 70# incoming. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Always been a Mathews single cam shooter but these new two cam bows are awesome. It was a coin flip between the Hoyt and the new ChillR. Decided to try a different brand for a change.

So anyone else have a new bow?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My four year old Drenalin LD still gets the job done, so I likely won't upgrade.
However, I am contemplating a cape buffalo hunt and if I do that, I am thinking of a hoyt Spyder at 80#.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I well be buying a cross bow for hunting this year age is starting to take its toll.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dropped the hammer and picked up a 10 point stealth SS crossbow this morning with the acu draw.

My wife is disabled and I'm hoping this will allow her to get back out hunting. I'm sure Ill use the heck out of it also.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I will be picking up a new Mathews Creed this year. My current Mathews SQ2 is 12 or 13 years old so I think its time to upgrade!

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well crap, I just got back from the Mathews shop and I don't know what to do! I can't decide between the Creed and the ChillR. The ChillR is one sweet fast bow,and so was the Creed. What to do, what to do?!?!

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I used my bought in 1997 High country machined supreme again this year.

I bagged two mule does with it after shooting at 4 or 5 of them. I was about to decide to just give up bow hunting until I shot my first Montana bull elk this year.

I am looking at getting a new bow instead.

I hear elite archery has some easy shooting bows. Time to do some research.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WI Hunter:
Well crap, I just got back from the Mathews shop and I don't know what to do! I can't decide between the Creed and the ChillR. The ChillR is one sweet fast bow,and so was the Creed. What to do, what to do?!?!

Peter

Personally for me I would go with the chillr. The creedxs is cool but feel the new chill is better all around. Would try the new Hoyts too.

Also PSE came out with a 370+ IBO this year called the Full Throttle. Supposed to be very smooth for a speed bow and rips them out there with heavy arrows.

I am going to try it out for sure

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Excalibur Matrix 355 crossbow. I'm quite able (for now) to use recurves and compounds but decided to add another toy tool to the box.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Got it: Creed XS.....29 Inch Draw, CBE Sniper 5-pin, Trophy taker drop away, Axion 4" Stabilizer all set up and drawing 66lbs.

Still tinkering and building arrows, looking at Gold tip pro hunters or Carbon Express...

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got myself a Hoyt Charger. This is my first bow so we will see how this bow hunting thing works out for me!!

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
Got it: Creed XS.....29 Inch Draw, CBE Sniper 5-pin, Trophy taker drop away, Axion 4" Stabilizer all set up and drawing 66lbs.

Still tinkering and building arrows, looking at Gold tip pro hunters or Carbon Express...

Nice! Congrats. I am looking at the same rest.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jflem:
Got myself a Hoyt Charger. This is my first bow so we will see how this bow hunting thing works out for me!!

Have heard great things about the Charger. Don't think you can beat it for the price.

Hope you like it. I love archery.

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
AK when your'e looking at arrows, i shot easton a/c/c for years, but decided to try out gold tip velocity pros this year. i can still get a stiff arrow thats lightweight, and add a ton of weight up front for a high FOC. so far i really like the results. i have a 500grain arrow, with 100gr brass inserts, and 100gr heads, giving me about 17% FOC for really good penetration.

my old a/c/c were within 10 grains of the same weight but with only a 9% FOC. the only difference i've noticed is out to 80 yards or so, the gold tips seem to drop a tad more. i guess as they slow the more weight up front makes them dip down faster. but they are hard as hell to pull out of the targets as they really penetrate.

i'm going hog hunting for a big russian boar in a couple months and will go up to 180gr 2 blade broadheads, hopefully the 580gr combo will shoot well from my 70lb destroyer 340.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't ever a particularly good archer. I preferred those smoke poles. Smiler

But a couple of months ago we got my daughter a Hoyt Ruckus bow and we set up some big Morrell target bags and stands and now a couple of 3D targets here at home.

My wife even liked it so we went back when Hoyt brought out their new bows and ordered a new Hoyt Vixcen bow for her right before Thanksgiving . It hasn't come in yet though.

She is even talking about she might take hers with us to Africa. That was a surprise to me !

So I am going to have a look at the new Hoyt Charger too . I like the Hoyts so far . And it is pretty fun too . But I am still a smoke pole shooter.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
I have a PSE Full Throttle on the way. Been shooting the DNA this year. Great bow. Had a Omen pro for the two years before that. It shot my hunting arrow 352fps. I'm hoping to get a little closer to the 360 mark with the new FUll Throttle.
To put that into perspective it is honestly on with 1 pin out 40 yards. If y'all haven't tried the new PSE's your really missing out.
The DNA in action. Speed kills;-)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=473304456115368

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluetick:
I have a PSE Full Throttle on the way. Been shooting the DNA this year. Great bow. Had a Omen pro for the two years before that. It shot my hunting arrow 352fps. I'm hoping to get a little closer to the 360 mark with the new FUll Throttle.
To put that into perspective it is honestly on with 1 pin out 40 yards. If y'all haven't tried the new PSE's your really missing out.
The DNA in action. Speed kills;-)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=473304456115368

What was your hunting arrow weight on the DNA?

I am considering a full throttle as a backup bow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just picked up my new ChillR with 28 in draw, Truglo Rival XS Lost Camo 5 pin, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, and a 6 in Axion stabilizer, and Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows. I just might have to try and get out in the stand this weekend!

Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting a NEW BREED GENETIX this year as my daughter wanted my drenaline. These New Breeds are a lot like the Elites without all the cam lean.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a NB Lycan coming...to add to my Eclipse and Horizon. They are awesome bows and shoot lights out....better than I can. A not so well kept secret out there. I see more and more at the ASA competitions every shoot.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked up a Mission Ballistic

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After a hand injury several years ago, I've been shooting a crossbow. But I miss the challenge of a compound, so I started shopping. Lots has changed...not sure what I'll wind up with...Chill R, PSE X series, Hoyt Carbon...?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sticking to my Mathews Switchback. It does everything I can ask of it and is deadly accurate.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick, and how's that 61 Fairlane running? :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
went down and test drove both the Chill R and X Thursday. I just passed my old Monster 7 to a nephew.

What I need, is something else besides a couple rifle builds to spend my spare $$$ on...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Mathews is only 3 years old, so not me.

But am contemplating a 1st crossbow...

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a Bowtech RPM 360 coming this week. Unbelievable draw for a speed bow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon,
It's not a '61, it's a 63!
My setup is all I need. 304 chrono'd fps and accurate. Haven't been able to keep an arrow in anything I've shot, why change sucess?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My setup is all I need. 304 chrono'd fps and accurate. Haven't been able to keep an arrow in anything I've shot, why change success?

Yup, that's all you need :-)

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
Elite energy 35 for me, very forgiving, accurate, and fast enough for me.

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew a cow elk archery tag here in Kentucky this year. I bought a Bob Lee takedown recurve, 70lbs @ 28" to hunt with. I pull 29", so I'm drawing a bit more weight. It's smooth and fast enough for a recurve.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Set up the Bowtech RPM 360 today and started shooting tonight to begin pre-season practice. At 70 lbs, I'm shooting 361gr Gold Tips balanced at 10% front of center with 100gr heads. I didn't chrono it, but time-to-target seems close to my crossbow, which I used while my broken hand healed up. After a dozen rounds, I was putting 6 arrows inside 2" at 35 yards. Fast, accurate, quiet, and dead-in-hand...these new generation compounds are awesome weapons.