New
Find
Notify
Tools

traditional bow hunting??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anyone out there using a traditional bow for hunting deer? I am getting an itch for this and would like some direction on what to look for...I'll need a full set up for deer hunting next year. I do a lot of "spot and stalk" but also some stand hunting as well-I imagine size is a factor when hunting a ground blind or tree stand...

Thanks!

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah there are a few of us around Dave, I have been shooting trad for pushing 50 years now(I started really young!). I did hunt with a compound for a couple years and then figured out that its the hunter and not the bow, so went back to what I loved and it turns out works best for me.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot semi traditional --recurve and aluminum arrows. I love the feel of a recurve or longbow.
the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been Hunting with a recurve for a few years and do love it. I have hunted a couple times with a compound, But I do love my revurve. I can not say I am full fleged traditional, I use a heavy carbon arrow. I prefer once pice broad heads. I realy have taken to the snuffer 150 grs by magnus. If you are looking at getting into the sport I would gladly Loan you my senaca recurve for a season and you can see if you like it. Any way just Post back if you want to borrow it. The email I usally use is messed up so you can use this one if your interested KLOPO1@YAHOO.COM. Well good luck and I think you will like the port alot. -Ben thumb

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've started the transition back. Like calgarychef, I'm sort of semi-traditional with a recurve and aluminum & carbon arrows. I chickened out last year and reverted to the wheel bow for hunting. This year, no luck yet.

The recurve is shorter than a longbow, and so it's better for shooting out of a treestand.

Look at stickbow.com for more advice. Also, there's a link there to O.L. Adcock's website, which has a ton of traditional equipment tuning info.

Steve

Posts: 1719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting trad equipment since '97 or so. Love it. So far I am "bloodless" in my hunting efforts, but I usually only hunt elk and bear with my bow and don't get in very many days in for either each year. I hope to get more serious with it in the coming years.

I am a Regional Director for the Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. though...you can check them out here.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck, you wear more hats than I thought!!! Nice to hear you shoot traditional.

the chef

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Canuck, you wear more hats than I thought!!!

Too many really! I have a lot of hobbies that I don't do nearly enough! Typical gen-X'er, eh?

I am finally (albeit slowly) learning to say no to extracurricular volunteer time though!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben,

that is a VERY generous offer, and I just might take you up on it! Let me give it some thought and I will get back at you-probably around the first of the year. I just have to get OK in my head with borrowing someone elses stuff...

and thanks so far with the replies and the link-I will check it out today!

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with traditional tackle (recurves, cedars, & Magnus two-blades) and took a couple deer over a couple three seasons but the constant practice I require just to be mediocre takes more time than I have to spare. With a week or two of practice I can shoot better at 40 yards with my compound than I can at 10 yards with a recurve after practicing all summer. I'd like to think I'll come back from the dark side when I have more time... Good hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

It is no big deal for you to borrow the bow. It is a spare for me. The offer stands,when your ready just shoot me an email at klopo1@yahoo.com if you want to borrow it. Merry X-mas!!-Ben

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 55# and 60# custom takedown recurves.Bowhunting is a close range sport and at 20yards or less you should be able to hit your mark easy with a recurve or longbow that is comfortable for you to shoot.Dont overbow.Have your arrows spined to match your bow weight and your draw length.Traditional archery is easy with the right set up.Practice and you will become very good.Recurves are my favorite and some of the custom bows out there sure are pretty.For sure checkout the tradgang.com site,great guys!Good luck! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot recurves up to 85#'s and although it takes a bit of work to shoot that much weight repeatedly, I can pick up my 67# recurve without shooting for months and within 2-3 shots I'm right back. Longbows require more practice from me to be consistant, but I think its because of the straight grip. Pistol grip recurves, once you develop your form and get some confidence its all easy.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teflon
posted Hide Post
http://www.primitivearcher.com/

http://www.tradbow.com/

These are two of my favorite mags. I hope you find this helpful ....

The mania for giving the Government power to meddle with the private affairs of cities or citizens is likely to cause endless trouble, through the rivaly of schools and creeds that are anxious to obtain official recognition, and there is great danger that our people will lose our independence of thought and action which is the cause of much of our greatness, and sink into the helplessness of the Frenchman or German who expects his government to feed him when hungry, clothe him when naked, to prescribe when his child may be born and when he may die, and, in fine, to regulate every act of humanity from the cradle to the tomb, including the manner in which he may seek future admission to paradise.
Mark Twain

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ " "Victory or Death!"

Posts: 723 | Location: chillin' in the Mountain State | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I have an issue with is bow length. Don't look for real short bows, a longer bow is more forgiving, accurate and faster. I have never found a longer bow any harder to shoot from a stand or to carry when stalking. I started bow hunting with short bows but quickly did away with them and never bought another less then 62". The Wing Presentation II was the finest, fastest, most accurate bow ever made and I have been sorry all these years that they are no longer made. Mine broke after many years and Wing was out of business, I should have made limbs for it. I have killed around 75 deer with the longer recurves until I went with the compounds and never had a promlem of any kind with long bows.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
If you have been shooting compounds, I would start with a recurve that has the same style grip. It will make the transition easier.

I don't know about your physical dimension's but as a general rule I would have you start out with a 50-55# bow at your draw length.
As mentioned above I would also start with a longer bow, they are more forgiving to shoot.
My suggestion would be 62-66" unless you are an Andre the Giant type.

As far as arrows, wood are an emotional draw, but I would start with either aluminum or carbon for consistency. It takes a lot of time or money to have matched wood arrows. I buy my wood shafts a hundred at a time and usually get between 12 and 24 matched hunting arrows. The rest are for practice.

Make sure they matched to your bow and of course make sure your broadheads are scary sharp.

When you start practicing, start close. Like 5 yards. Concentrate on your form it's just as important as with a compound. Remember it's just like shooting a baskeball or throwing a baseball. All hand eye coordination.

But most importantly have fun, shoot a bunch and you will find yourself getting hooked.

Traditional bowhunting is very simple in theory, but an extreme and rewarding challenge.

There are a couple of good sites to check out. One is Tradgang.com and the other is the Leatherwall on Bowsite.com.

Good luck and enjoy the journey, it's quite an experience.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Been shooting a recurve since I was 6(now 45). The best practice I've found over the years is stump shooting with some buddies. I shoot a little on the heavy side, a 82# Widow and a 83# Assenhimer. Been slacking the last few years(I'm mainly hunting with pistols now).I know you don't need that much # but it's what I shoot best. In fact my youngest son(who is now 20) Shot his 4th trad deer with a 52# Assenhimer this year with a 2117 and Snuffer and shot him behind the last rib and drove it clear up thru the engine room and the tip of Snuffer was poking thru the skin up front. He's been shooting this bow for 7 years now and when he started was only getting a little over 40# and was still shooting clean thru them. Sharp heavy arrows are the ticket.

Posts: 41 | Location: South-central Ohio ,USA | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say I really appreciate the comments on trad shooting. It's easy to hear about wheel bows (no offense) but I really like to hear about longbows and recurves.

thanks

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trad now. This was my first season with a recurve in hand. It was great. Highly recommend it. I went to http://www.recurves.com and chad set me up great with a chec-mate falcon 60@28 for about 225.00 and I just got some arrows and asked a lot of questions. Its awsome. put the fun of the hunt back in it for me. good luck

Posts: 27 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As suggested earlier the transition from compound to Stickbow is easier if you go with a recurve, due to the grip style which is more similar in design to a compound. I would be very cautious in overbowing yourself. If you are shooting a 70 pound recurve you should stay around the 50 pound weight in a stickbow. You should try before you buy and make certain that you can draw the bow repeatedly to make sure that you are not overbowed. As far as being a pure tradidionalist, I wouldn't worry about whether you use wood shafts or carbons. Howard hill shot aluminums and you can't get more traditional than that! It's not about speed, or macho draw weights..it's about having fun.