Find
Notify
Tools

Shoulder Injuries
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Have you ever got any as a result of shooting?

I just done it good yesterday. Went out to do some practicing and the first draw/shot went off fine. The second one, with the draw, I heard and felt something "go" in my right shoulder. The pain was immediate.

It is right over where the clavicle meets the scapula on top of the shoulder. I did a bit of internet searching this morning and came up with this: acromioclavicular joint separation, or AC separation. Found some great diagrams on this website. I think I have the grade II injury.

I have quite a lot of pain this morning. I believe I drew too fast and should have had a better warm up prior to shooting but I was in a hurry so I could go hunting. Ouch, I probably won't be able to draw my bow for awhile.

Be careful out there, weird things can certainly happen.

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's really weird, as much as you shoot that your shoulder would be affected like that. I posted about my shoulder problems when first starting out, but that was apparently just sore tendons.

That's a real bummer right in the middle of the season with the rut approaching. I hope you go get a medical opinion. You don't want to take chances with it, but maybe it isn't as bad as it sounds and you could just lay off a couple days, set your poundage back a few, and continue to hunt.

Keep us updated.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably can happen. As with any physical activity, a little stretching and warming up, expecially when it is cold out is not a bad idea.

You better see a sports doctor. I blew out 2 tendons in the wrist once and ended up have to crank back down to 50 pounds and build back up to 80 only with the use of a release after that.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, Could it just be a nerve pinch? I never "warm up" and already have shoulder problems, but the only problem that does arise is fatigue in my arms after 20 or 30 shots. Boy do I ever start to shake sometimes! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, not a nerve pinch, I have definitly popped that little joint. Almost like spraining an ankle. It's still sore but better this evening. I have been easy on it all day and hope it's even better tomorrow.

Yes, Plinker, even a regular shooter can get sore or pop something. I have my 55 pound Golden Eagle out, ready for action and hopefully tomorrow evening. I saw deer at my stand tonight from the kitchen window. Talk about depressing!

Good hunting to all...

Posts: 19154 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann: Take it easy on that shoulder. I had serious nerve damage in my right shoulder a couple of years ago, and I didn't think I was ever going to get to bow hunt again. I used to shoot 80 lbs. easily; after 2 years I can't even pull 80.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I developed a problem in my right shoulder about 8 years ago. After much testing, the only problem they could find was in the AC joint. They operated on it, but it didn't fix the problem. I've lived with the problem since then by backing the poundage down to 50, then worked up to 55. I had a bow built specially to peak at this poundage. My problem was always in the shoulder blade area, but they told me that there is nothing there to go wrong. This year I drew an elk hunt and practiced daily in preparation. I bought another bow and worked up to 64 lbs. My shoulder hasn't felt this good in years. I guess I may have strengthened the muscles and this has somehow alleviated the problem. Don't give up, get good medical help, and don't be afraid to try different bows and poundages. The draw cycles of some manufacturers cams work a lot better for me than others. It all depends on where they stack the poundage on in the cycle. Good luck with your shoulder.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been resting it and taking a lot of vitamin I to get the inflamation out. Last night I went out on my porch to turn my Johnsonville brats on the BBQ before dark. I could see the deer at my tree stand. That was soooo depressing.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You can go get some weight bearing x-rays on that shoulder. The doctor or technician will give you a 5 or 10 pound wt. to hold while they take you shoulder picture. This will confirm an A-C separation.

It wouldn't hurt to do an internal/external rotation series either.

Can you use a crossbow?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a note I could use a cross bow. I already know if I held a weight it would seperate. I cannot cross my arm in front of me, say to touch the opposite shoulder, with out quite a lot of pain. I cannot lay on it either which is also probably causing seperation. Though certain movements don't hurt.

Guess I am too bull headed to get it looked at. The rut is on, ya know?

How long does an A-C speration take to heal? My assumption is that there is nothing medically that can be done for it save rest.