THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Which bow are you using these days?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which bow are you using these days?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I never jumped on the bandwagon of upgrading bows each year...and my Mathews Drenalin still kills em dead Cool I have not even kept up with all the new names and features of these newer bows.

My friend is trying to get me to buy his Heli-M and it got me wondering if anyone on here has upgraded their bow or if they are still shooting the same one they have for years.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually upgrade every 3-4 years...this is long enough to get proficient and still keep up with the latest technological advances. I was shooting a Hoyt Carbon Element and just upgraded to a Carbon Defiant.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Currently shooting a Halon. I like it.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bowtech RPM 360

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Widow recurve.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wes Wallace long bow..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I still use my Indian purchased in the 1980's.
Up grade this year to a crossbow. arthritis in both my shouldes makes it hard to pull back a bow.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the same 1969 model Bear Takedown recurve I've used for the last 48 years. archer

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Deer opener is just a few weeks away.

I'll be shooting my Chill R again this Summer and Fall

Posts: 2908 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bowtech Invasion 80lbs. Took a beautiful 30 inch Nyala in the Hluhluwe area (Zululand) a couple of months ago. He didn't know it wasn't the latest 2017 model!!!

JCHB

Posts: 411 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Drenalin is one of the best bows ever made. I had two Drenalin LD bows. My sone has the standard Drenalin. I dropped about $1000 on a new bow to replace the Drenalin. It also is a great but, but I gained very little if anything for $1000.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just moved my Mathews Outback and DXT and replaced them with two Elites---an Answer and a Hunter. Just like the draw cycle and firm back wall so much better.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still shooting my Mathews Switchback. Damned accurate, shoots my chosen arrows at 304 fps and has killed everything I have shot at.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The same custom made in Gillette WY 25 years ago 65# at 29" longbow.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i have 2 bowtech destroyers (2010 models). one is a D340 70#; and a custom limbed 80# D350.

just can't see a reason to change. the d350 slings a 640gr arrow at 275 fps. and the D340 a 487gr arrow at 295 fps.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Strother Wrath made in 2014.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Bowtech Destroyer and the RPM

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Same one for the past ten years or so: DAS Dallaa. Cool

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One with horizontal limbs.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ragsxd
posted Hide Post
centerpoint sniper 370 crossbow.great shooter

Posts: 53 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just realized I had already posted---

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Hoyt Nitrum Turbo.
29" @ 60lbs chronos 299 fps, but I've found that's not fast enough to beat their noses!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Upgraded to a Mathews Chill X this year. I love it because of how well the longer bow fits me. I like you had been shooing the same bow for ten years. The new top tier bows draw amazingly smooth.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
My primary hunting bow is the Bear Firststrike XLR I bought about 20 years ago, though I did upgrade the arrow rest a couple of years ago. It still works fine, as the doe I shot a couple of weeks ago can attest to. I also shoot a 35 year old Bear recurve and a Turkish horse bow for fun. I used to shoot a longbow, but it broke and I have yet to replace it.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thinking a crossbow from Excalibur to get back in the game. Right shoulder's about worn out.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Just moved my Mathews Outback and DXT and replaced them with two Elites---an Answer and a Hunter. Just like the draw cycle and firm back wall so much better.

Both those Elite's have the best cam back walls in the industry.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Currently shooting a Red Wing Hunter (Pre-Head) .

Last fall I was using another Red Wing Hunter (Head Ski era - 1968 or so). The broadhead was a Mowoc Dot made in 1960.

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdwest
posted Hide Post
Im shooting an older Cabelas branded Parker..

Ive been thinking about upgrading to a Matthews Halon 32.. but havent decided yet..

The Parker still gets the job done just fine.. My wife got a new Matthews Avail a few months ago though and jealousy has started to take hold.. her Avail is one seriously nice, quiet, and efficient bow..

Posts: 65 | Location: DFW | Registered: 01 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2011 K&K Vindicator

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
73 lb Botech rpm360 and a 89lb Botech 340 (custom limbs)

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
ndp, did you get barnsdale to make 89# limbs??

he would only send me 80s, and that took some persuading.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep they are Barnsdale.

You never know what they are going to actual be until you put them on the bow.

I got one set that was supposed to bring the bow up to 84 and I actually dropped one pound from the old stock limbs!

Next set we thought would get me to 85, my goal and they came in at 89lbs! They are a very smooth limb and very well made.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
yeah i've been happy with them. with my first set for my D350 at around 79lbs, a tiny splinter developed along one edge. I sent dave a picture and he sent me new limbs immediately. those are right at 80# after i twisted the cables a bit.

he told me to break the splinter, sand it, and apply some super glue and rock on, so i put that set on my D340. they are right around 75#. I did the limb swap a couple weeks ago on that bow and was bare shaft tuned in about 5 minutes. they are great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My most memorable bowhunt was 7 years ago and I had 2 tags. Regular and antlerless.

I was shooting a Hoyt Carbon Element and shot a doe broadside at 20 yards. Then a buck walked up. 70 pounds at 330 IBO resulted in a complete pass through on both deer using the Exodus broadhead.

The only thing I didn't like about the Hoyt Element was the back wall. If you creeped forward any amount the bow would start letting down immediately. The Elite Answer and Hunter have to be pushed forward to let down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bowtech Prodigy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got a real sweetheart... 70# Javaman Elkheart.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. Gregg is as nice a guy as you could ask for and does beautiful work. He also produced the Shrew bows for a time, but I don't know if that is still the case.

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gregg runs his own custom bow business these days.

posted Hide Post
Don’t update as much as I’d like I currently have a Hoyt carbon spyder and my last compound was a Hoyt ultramag, I should shoot them a little more then I might be able to justify an update , time will see I spose

Posts: 13 | Location: victoria austraila | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote