New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game Timer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a promising place to hunt deer where they come out into a big grassy field. They used to be able to get to the field by coming up the creek, but now they can't get through that way because the flood washed a pile of dead branches in their path which would probably break their legs if they tried to walk through it. So they come down off a high point down a sort of gully.

All i ever see is their tracks, though. So, i'm thinking about getting a trail timer so i can find out exactly what time they cross there. This is a 500 event infrared that runs off of a 9V battery. If the trail timer confirms they only come there at night, i couldn't shoot them at night anyway. Anyone find trail timers helpful?

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
most everyone has switched to game cameras

they sell a couple of inexpensive models at Walmart

that way you get to see what it is that trips the beam.

..something to know..

when you take the film in you can have them just process the film for $2 or less- for another $2 they'll burn the negs to CD without making prints

Sams charges me $4.50 to process the film and transfer to CD without prints. But I normally just get the negatives processed and check them with a magnifying glass.

digital game cameras are expensive

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, Capt. This timer is tripped by body heat, and i think it has to be something big to trip it. I was hoping it could be set up higher where only something as tall as a deer would register.

The reason for not going with a trail camera is like you said, the digitals are expensive. And the film cameras, well, knowing me, i'd either procastinate getting the film processed or be running out to do it every day.

But the prices sound reasonable for getting the images burned to CD. That would be way to go. I saw a trail cam at Sams awhile back for about $75. Hard to decide, though whether to get that or wait and go digital. I think for now i'll just get the game timer. Won't have any pictures, but i think it'd still be useful.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote