Find
Notify
Tools

Grizzly Broadheads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted
Here's some articles on broadheads in general that feature the Grizzly broadhead.

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2004update2.pdf#search=%2...y%20study%20Ashby%22

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2005update1.pdf#search=%2...y%20study%20Ashby%22

How do you sharpen Grizzly broadheads?
I'm looking for technical details.
How do you sharpen the existing edges?
How do you treat the tip?

[edit to add] I found the last two articles after asking the sharpening question. Looks like loboga nailed it, as shown below.

Thanks,

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should probably make a video of this, cause its a lot easier to show than explain. When I get a doz. new Grizzly heads I get a brand new quality 8" or 10" mill file to go along and allow plenty of time. I lower the angle of the factory grind as low as I can without hitting the ferrule with the file. I continue that angle right around the tip, it will meet up with the angle from the other side just past the center and leave you with a small diagonal cutting edge across the tip. Then on the backside holding the file almost flat to the blade I remove the burr left from the otherside, for most animals I leave it at that point, for buffalo, I also give it a few strokes with a fine diamond hone on both sides. I also remove the small burr at the back edge of the blades. On buffalo, I don't want anthing to impede penetration.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
loboga,

I was hoping you'd answer this.

I get everything else, but I just can't picture what that tip looks like when you get through. I will try your directions and see if it falls out...

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
clap

I did what you said and the tip worked out great. I have read about 4 versions of Ashby's directions and got poor results from each.

Your method is the only one I've seen that leaves support around (or at least across) the brazed join at the tip.

Thanks!

Don_G

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Don,

Can you post a picture of how it turned out? Like to see it.

Sounds like things are coming together for you. Do you plan on trying the setup out hunting in the US before going to Africa?

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I can try, but I'll probably have to get a guy at work to take it. I never do well on "macro" photos. (I'm not even sure if that's the right word!)

Don

Don_G

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Posted for Don_G:

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smiler

I am certain you could make one very very sharp like that.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
loboga,

I just could not get a pic close enough to make the facets plain, so I made the sketch. (Thanks, Canuck for posting it.)

Did I get it right? Looks great to me in the steel.

[edit to add] I think this is the "Tanto-style" edge and tip that Ashby suggests in the last article.

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
The drawing looks good, that is the way I was trying to explain it. I like them better after they have been resharpened a couple times. It takes the corners off a bit and each side becomes one continuous edge, that can be sharpened with one long file stroke.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Here's the contact info for Grizzly - it was so hard to find I thought I'd put it here!

Wolverine & Grizzly Broadheads
106 Cherry Road
Coudersport, PA 16915

Phone: 814-274-0905

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
After wearing out several whetstones and diamond files (rubbing the diamonds off), I bought two files from the maker of the Grizzlies. The first file has sharpened 8 BHs so far, and going strong. The files cost about $10 each.

After filing to shape they just need a touch on the stone.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I tested the Grizly tips on buffalo carcases in Tanzania. They worked extremely well. They were sharpened Tanto style as advised by loboga (and, it turns out, by Ashby in the final article I added at the start of this thread.)

Don_G