Find
Notify
Tools

1 week to go....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Are you fellas getting pumped about the season?

I can't hardly wait, The Mathews is ready and I'm getting a few stands in order. Fixed up one really good looking spot last weekend where I've arrowed a few in years past. GOing to go hunt another spot for a good tree to climb in another location Saturday morn.

Ya'll ready?

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am getting ready also. Sept 28th is opening day for archery here. In the mean time I am keeping myself out of trouble hunting bears.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Getting closer.

Found a real nice spot Saturday morning. Right on the edge of an old cut-over that's grown up. I had a feeling they are bedding in the ole cut-over and I spooked a couple out but, didn't enter the bedding area just to keep my scent down. Found a nice oak to climb w/ several acorn trees w/in shooting distance.

Should be a productive new spot along w/ my ole' faithful spots as well.

It was nice and cool this weekend while out scouting, unusual for September here but, I'm not complaining a bit.

I've been shooting the Recurve as well. I think I'm going to carry both as crazy as that sounds. I only feel confident w/ the recurve up close and don't want to wound one. I'm carrying my Mathews incase they come out around 20-30.

Ya'll have a good one

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been itching since february. Wink Got a few spots that should be solid, so I'm gonna try and stay out of them as much as possible until season opens up the 30th (still have a few trails to clear).

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
This cool weather has been nice.

Went out Saturday morn and found some good sign in the areas I intend on hunting.

Looks like I'll be busy this week digging out all of my hunting close, washing them all in no scent, line drying them, and airtight bagging them. Purchased some nice gloves yesterday made out of material like the under armour shirts. Hopefully the skeeters will not be able to bite through them as well as cotton. I'm hunting one area where the bugs are so bad I have to wear latex gloves and a bug suit.

We are having a bumper acorn crop from the looks of it in our hard wood bootoms.

You fellas ready?

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'm not really ready as far as stands and locations go. I'm practiced up alright.

Went scouting Sunday and it looks like I need a tripod stand to get in the right spot in a brushy verge. I even found a fresh rub - it's very early which probably means it was a small buck.

I had to order a tripod stand as all mine are tree stands. I hope it gets here ASAP as Sunday is opening day!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
If I say I'm ready, does that jinx me? Wink

(Pssst.... I'm ready!)

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I know what ya mean Don, one of our good hunting lands is in CRP and the oaks aren't quite big enough to climb yet. A tripod or ground blind is about the only way to hunt them in that area.

Good Luck

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I haven't used a tripod since I left Texas, but I have wished for one several times.

This will give me a "leaning ladder" tree stand, a strap-on and a tripod.

The swirling winds we usually have make a ground blind a non-starter on most days.

I reckon I'm ready for just about any situation, now - I just need to get out there.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I hear ya.

I just hope the weather cooperates for us. It's been in the low 80s during the day and 50s during the morning. I can handle those temps for early season but, I'll definitely be looking for that first cold front to hit. That first cold front can usually be dynamite around here for early season.

Good luck

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Sunday is Low 47 Hi 63, 20% chance of rain. Sounds good!

Good luck,

Don_G

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
a "leaning ladder" tree stand,

What do you think of these Don?

Now that I am all "bow'ed up", I am thinking I had better get more serious. I don't think I can avoid stand hunting for much longer. The ladder stands look pretty simple to me...not sure if they go high enough though.

Or would I be better served with a standard treestand, or even a self-climber?

I don't mind heights when they are in the 100's or 1000's of feet, but I hate them when they are in the 10's. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

It depends on how far you have to take them in to the woods to set them up. Ladder stands, Lock ons, Climbers, they all work great for different purposes. I have approx 20+ different stands (too many I know but, when you hunt 4-5 diff pieces of property it takes a good many). In some areas you cant take a climber because the trees will not allow so a ladder or lock-on are the way to go. some areas don't have big trees so a tripod is a must. For ease of set-up and quietness, a ladder stand is hard to beat. A lock-on is quiet as well if you have it in a permanent location but, they are a real pain in the rear to hang so I set them up and leave them for long periods of time.

On the height note, You can buy the cheap 15' ladder stands and usually it's easy to find a 4-5' extension piece for the ladder and then you are plenty high provided you have adequate cover for concealment.

Good Luck

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Reloader covered it. For backpacking in every day a climber is hard to beat, but you need trees that are straight and slick for 16-25 ft and 8-18" diameter. They can also be fairly dangerous and hard to use. Practice with one several times before you go into the woods with one before dawn.

All the rest are bigger and heavier and more suited to "emplace and leave it there" hunting. Of these the ladder stands are the easiest, fastest and quietest to set up. The climbing stick and strap-on is second most portable in my book.

Talk with other bow hunters in your area, then do your best. You will inevitably need more than one type before you are through.

Good luck,

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be in GA this weekend, pops has some resident deer coming through the property on a regular basis. Hopefully they come through 10yd of my treestand!!

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I'd wanted a 16' tripod, but a few days after taking my order the local OutdoorWorld (BassPro) shop said they "were not ordering anything" until after their audit in October! (Bullshit!)

So I settled on a 12' tripod.

I put it up last night in a great spot. It was easily set up, but not quickly. It took a while to bolt together, even though I left off the shooting rail for bow-hunting. It's very sturdy and feels like it will be secure and stable. It is in a great early-season spot in the brushy verge of a cornfield.

Now if it will just rain every third day, it'll delay the harvest until I do some good!

Don_G

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
That looks cool Don! To bad you couldn't get the 16 footer. Good luck on collecting some fat, cornfed venison. Smiler

The more I think about the stand options, the more confused I get. I don't think a climber will work well around here....to many low branches on the trees around here.

Will talk to some bowhunters and see what they do.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted Hide Post
1st post in this area
I'm leaving work as soon as I finish this post. Going to my lease/camp for last bit of prep. Never bow hunted before but as they say "there is a first time for everything". Tomorrow morning in Texas 9-30-06 it will be ON and I'm splittin at the seams.....gotta go, with my bow, to at least get a doe, with my bro, and just maybe, the BIG BOY WILL SHOW!

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote