New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second bow kill
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I shot a nice doe this morning that was with a group a buck was chasing around. I shot at one last night when it was dim out. I could not see the little sapling in front of the deer's chest through the peep and centered it. I split the tree and the inertia of the arrow stopping so fast broke the steel tip off down in the hole in the ferrule and it was gone.
I never seen so many deer and they are getting to be too small. We need a lot of doe killed off. Even the buck's antlers are not as large so I will be leaving them alone. They keep building more and more housing developments and are pushing more deer here.
I didn't hunt for over a week, it just got too warm.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Yep,

I saw a 2 year old buck chasing a yearling doe this AM. It's definitely the start of the rut!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's fun to watch the buck put his head low and herd a doe, then go behind another to keep them together and make the herd go where he wants them. Then he runs himself ragged chasing a bunch that have no interest yet. They don't leave him but keep going back and forth driving him nuts. I watched a big buck trying to sneak up on a bunch of doe in a field. Soon as he got close, they would run to the other side and feed again. Then he would try another sneak and they would go back to the other side. He finally gave up and went up to the high end of the field and just stood there dejected with a hangdog look.
I also seen a buck yesterday with white legs.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's intersting-remember when you were 16 or so and the girls loved being chased by the boys?? That was a sure way to get a girl "interested" I find it amazing how close we still are to animal behavior even though we are "civilized and a higher species."

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
But the dominant buck has MUCH better luck then we ever had or have. He gets ALL of the girls except for the few that get caught by a smaller fella. But then again, he has to dodge bullets.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Only had a few hours today, but saw the two best bucks of the year! Now that is stimulating, and tomorrow has me rather optimistic as I write this.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote