The Accurate Reloading Forums
Paddlefish

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9811043/m/8501037462

27 February 2021, 00:27
Aspen Hill Adventures
Paddlefish
I'm going snagging for paddlefish in early April with some friends. What kinds of dishes/recipes is this species good as?

~Ann

27 February 2021, 21:53
Bill/Oregon
Can't help with recipes, Ann, but sure wish you good luck.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
28 February 2021, 04:42
Aspen Hill Adventures
Thank you, Bill. As you might deduce, I have not gotten paddlefish before. I can deep fry about anything and I assume the meat would be good that way too. Just looking for a little more creativity though deep frying ain't all that bad either. Wink

We have the boat and captain all day so I am also hoping to load up on some crappie and catfish. We'll be on either LOZarks or Truman.

~Ann

28 February 2021, 08:36
NormanConquest
Best of luck on your fishing trip, Ann. Sounds like a great time.

Never mistake motion for action.
28 February 2021, 22:22
butchlambert
I'm sure there are other ways to prepare them, but deep fried is all I've had. It would be nice to have it cooked another way.
Good luck.
08 March 2021, 02:47
wingnut
Anything you would do to a channel catfish is good when done to a smallish to medium sized spoonbill. The bigger ones don't taste nearly as good. The fat on a big one is especially funky.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"
15 April 2021, 19:35
Aspen Hill Adventures

We had a good trip. The 'smaller' fish are blue cats. The largest paddle was about 50 pounds. The biggest two are females.

There is a fair amount of trimming that needs to be done for the mudline on paddlefish. I did deep fry some trimmed pieces last night and thought it was excellent.

This morning I cooked down the trimmings for my livestock. Definitely funky smelling! There are more photos and story posted in the Fishing section.

~Ann

16 April 2021, 03:12
Use Enough Gun
Interesting fish! tu2